Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering if my tie rods need replacing or if the problem was just that my tire was unbalanced.

I noticed a rhythmic clicking noise, which a couple of days later was found to be associated with my steering wheel shaking a bit as well, in sync with the clicking noise.

I rotated the tires and the clicking noise and the steering wheel shaking is gone. I also noticed that one of the tires is worn on the inside (driver side). I also noticed that the passenger front wheel can be moved a little bit with my hands, and I also noticed this loose piece. I have attached videos of these things. I will get an alignment, but do I need to replace the tie rods? If so, do I just replace all four or just the one in the video? Video links below. Thank you!

Wheel

Tie Rod?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tried to watch the videos that you attached but the link doesn't work.
As for the tire being worn on the inside edge, makes me think that your toe is out of spec on your car.
With your passenger front wheel, where are you grabbing the wheel when you are checking for play? 12 and 6 movement will mean a ball joint is failing, grabbing at 3 and 9 will indicated that a tie rod is on its way out. If you get the front end off the ground, grab each wheel and try the 3 and 9 method, if there is play or movement without the other side moving then that will be your problem. It is rare that your outer tie rod would have failed but I'm not 100% sure how to rule out inner vs outer tie rods, maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried to watch the videos that you attached but the link doesn't work.
As for the tire being worn on the inside edge, makes me think that your toe is out of spec on your car.
With your passenger front wheel, where are you grabbing the wheel when you are checking for play? 12 and 6 movement will mean a ball joint is failing, grabbing at 3 and 9 will indicated that a tie rod is on its way out. If you get the front end off the ground, grab each wheel and try the 3 and 9 method, if there is play or movement without the other side moving then that will be your problem. It is rare that your outer tie rod would have failed but I'm not 100% sure how to rule out inner vs outer tie rods, maybe someone else can chime in on that one.
Could you try the links again. Should be working now.

I was grabbing it at 3 and 9. The thing is that the clicking noise and the shaking wheel resolved after rotating the tires. But I happened to notice the things in the video when I did rotate them

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you try the links again. Should be working now.

I was grabbing it at 3 and 9. The thing is that the clicking noise and the shaking wheel resolved after rotating the tires. But I happened to notice the things in the video when I did rotate them
from watching your tie rod video it is possible the inner tie rod is bad. my guess is that boot got loose and it rusted the joint inside. with these suspension parts sometimes you have to take things apart to get a closer look. so if you release and outer tie rod from the knuckle you might see that the inner joint is failed, it would be loose and floppy. that is where the click might be coming from. it should be tight. not clear but the boot does not look sealed in the video, so i bet some junk got in there over time and rusted it. if it is bad you absolutely want to replace it, the looseness can damage the wheel bearing over time and tight steering is important for safety.

between chrisfix and ericthecar guy you can learn how to do it on youtube. also find an acura integra service repair manual somewhere online in pdf and check out the section on suspension. if this turns out to be the problem feel free to ask more questions about how to fix as I did this last month. inspect all of your suspensions parts while you are at it.

here are the inner tie rod parts i used for my 2000LS.
Moog EV368 Tie Rod End from amazon for $27
Moog K9863 Rack & Pinion Bellows from amazon for $15

hope this helps. ad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts