Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway that I can replace tie rod ends without having to get an alignment afterwards? I have to repalce both of mine because the threads on one are messed up and the other is stuck in the wheel hub and I am doing my Type R suspension conversion and feel that if I use a ball joint seperator it will more than likely break the boot....

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
you would have to get the exact same turns when you put the tie rod on... so basically it is really hard to get it back where it was. why skimp out now since you have done so much to the suspension anyways? i mean to me it is a pretty simple answer of get one anyways! they are only 50-80 dollars in my area, so i cant believe that would be that much more in yours?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
You can get it close by measuring the old one before you remove the jamnut. However I don't think you're going to get it close enough to not have to get an alignment. We're talking 1-2 millimeters here. If you're out that much, kiss your tires goodbye real fast.

You should always get an alignment after replacing steering or suspension components.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
GSR_J on Jan/23/06 said:
You can get it close by measuring the old one before you remove the jamnut. However I don't think you're going to get it close enough to not have to get an alignment. We're talking 1-2 millimeters here. If you're out that much, kiss your tires goodbye real fast.

You should always get an alignment after replacing steering or suspension components.
Word

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
84Riceeater on Jan/23/06 said:
yeah.... right...

i tryed that... impossible for me.. then agian i droped out of HS.....
it's really not that hard..just a lil practice and help from another person. u can make toe plates from practically any straight metal and cut slits and the two tape measures slide into the slits and just hold it against the tires. if anything u can just do that to get yourself squared away close enough to feel confident in driving it for a week or something if u dont have time to get it "properly" aligned at a shop for a few days.

·
Banned
995 Posts
My question to you is, are you replacing the tie tod ends youself?

I was warned against this option as I toasted one of my rod ends after my 5lug swap but havent gotten around to fixing it yet. I drove all last season on it so it wasnt that bad but ill be at the track this season and need to replace them,

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to replace them my self right now....the car is tore down in the garage and on the drivers side the threads are all tore up on the bll joint portion so as the nut won't thread on it now.....so I must replace them before I can drive the car.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes, you can replace the tie rod without messing up your alignment. Here's what you do: Take some white paint or white out and paint the the end of the tie rod nearest the threads and onto the threads about 5-10mm past the tie rod (enough that you can see it clearly). When you reinstall the new tie rod end, tighten it until you get to the white painted area. This has worked well for me in the past with no tire wear..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.