Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I searched but couldn’t find anything about this specific part. I’m in the process of bringing my gsr back to life and I’m refurbishing the front end suspension/brakes etc.. My tie rod ends (oem) are both still in decent shape but the boots are starting to crack/split. I was able to get two new oem tie rod end boots off eBay (number 14 in the diagram below, part number 53546-S84-003).
Issue is, the new boots don’t seem to fit flush onto the tie rod end. I think it’s due to number 15 in the diagram below that doesn’t have a part number

Does anyone have any experience replacing oem tie rod end boots? Or any knowledge of the number 15 ring/washer/circlip thing? Do I need to remove the number 15 thing in order to get the new boots on? Does the number 15 thing hold the boot in place? Any info is welcome.

4D193D80-057C-4D71-A769-B73A1C5A3310.jpeg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it look like a metal clip? If you remove it you should be able to slip on the new boot and clip that piece back on.
Ok, I think i figured out what's going on here. I have a 2000 GSR which does NOT have a part number for #15 in the diagram. Turns out, it was a metal ring, but it was the bottom of the original boot. I was able to get it off with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer. I realized this after i took it off and noticed the underside of the new OEM boot looked exactly like the underside of the ring that was on the tie rod end.

I checked the parts diagram of a '94 LS and it has a different part number for the boot (53546-SH0-A01), as well as a part number for #15 (Circlip, Tie Rod - Acura (53548-SL0-A01)).

My guess is they updated the boot at some point to a new design (but never updated the parts diagram). The new boot has a metal ring built into the base of the boot instead of a circlip that held the boot into place (#15). I was able to get the new boots on by removing the old ring, then using the 32mm axle nut socket to lightly hammer the new boots into place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts