Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have an auto tranny, I shift it like its a manual just because I have more control of the car this way and its really fun! Anyway, Ive been noticing that it feels like I accelerate faster if I am more than slightly pushing down on the pedal rather than flooring it, anyone else get this and have an explanation???

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
lostyouth on Aug/31/02 said:
ok, I have an auto tranny, I shift it like its a manual just because I have more control of the car this way and its really fun!
You mean a really fun way to blow your tranny?

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Zip it clutch784, turn in your integra manual to page 112, or somewheres there about "The automatic transmission can be shifted much like a manual transmission without a clutch" - Honda Integra Manual. If everyone reads the manual, they will see that Honda themselves says it is OK to do.

No explanation, but I seem to witness the same in my auto. Its not necessairily slower to floor it, but It doesnt seem any faster.

I like to shift manually to keep the revs up in town.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Want a manual? Get one...We've been down this road many many times....

·
Registered
389 Posts
lostyouth on Aug/30/02 said:
ok, I have an auto tranny, I shift it like its a manual just because I have more control of the car this way and its really fun! Anyway, Ive been noticing that it feels like I accelerate faster if I am more than slightly pushing down on the pedal rather than flooring it, anyone else get this and have an explanation???
The whole manual shifting auto is another debate that has already been beat to death... to stay on topic: I have noticed kinda what youre talking about with the throttle. It seems like just short of flooring it gives the same amount of throttle response as actually flooring it all the way. There might be a little "play" in the gas pedal kinda like in some cars there is some play in the steering wheel??

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
It could be. If your throttle cable is tight enough, you might reach WOT before the pedal goes all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
When you hit WOT your computer just dumps fuel into the engine to be sure it does not run lean. This, I am guessing, can actually HURT the cars performance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It could be. If your throttle cable is tight enough, you might reach WOT before the pedal goes all the way to the floor.

is this a good thing to do to ur car and safe?
and how do u do it?
does it make ur car accelerate faster?

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I was at Russell Racing School at Infineon Raceway, the instructor said it was because on street cars the stock factory ecu's air/fuel ratio is better tuned at that throttle position.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
timcp on Mar/04/07 said:
When I was at Russell Racing School at Infineon Raceway, the instructor said it was because on street cars the stock factory ecu's air/fuel ratio is better tuned at that throttle position.
he was talking about closed/open loop t/p threshold and load..

closed loop is there to help the ecu maintain a 14.7:1 afr , or close as possible to there.

when the ecu switches into open loop, the computer does not look at primary o2 voltages because the sensor is not fast/accurate enough when more exhaust gases pass by at a faster speed..it just simply cant read it on a .1 -1v non-linear , crosscount setup..

this is why we have widebands now adays, and some manufactueres use them stock. audi/vw etc..

im not sure what the threshold is for closed-open loop transition but id imagine it would be over 70% throttle less than 5in vac.

if you use the auto stick method, as in, shifter gears with the selector shifter, you can have the TCC locked in all the time, therefore the power is right there, IE no slip/delay when you hit the gas..

putting the shifter in D4, using overdrive, the ecu has to lockup the clutch whenever you slam the throttle to the floor to achieve direct drive from the engine.

thats why as you are just driving down the road, you hit the gas a little and the revs come up before the car actually takes off..

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
same thing would happen in mine, are you referring to that it kicks down a gear? there is a lag if you just floor it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts