Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my friend got into an accident and it ripped out the bolts in 2 motor mounts stripping the threads. i know using a thread insert by drilling into the old thread and taping the insert in will work, my question is this.... can i do this myself or should i have a machine shop do it so i dont f**k it up and drill a lil crooked. here is a pic of the striped thread

fixed it

pic of broken thread

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
OOOO!! But tell me Tuan! How did the stripped plug threads get there? ha ha ha

Just pokin' some fun man. You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but an equally smart ass reply would be appreciated!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey MD i forgot about that, did you look at the pic and do you think a helacoil will work see the thread got stripped pretty bad especially around it on the block

·
Registered
31,218 Posts
man that is one hard hit your friend took on the mount. Has anyone looked at whether the block was cracked?

Anyway, I always suggest sending important jobs to pro's. If it's an easy fix that doesn't require prior experience, or you have done a couple yourself in the past, then sure, go ahead and do it yourself. But if this is your first time, then you don't want this to be the test guinea pig where you can seriously screw up on the first go (which has a higher chance of happening). It's not like this is a practice block and you can chuck it if you screw up, right?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya, i have done it once but not on an aluminum block which i heard is harder to do. He hit a tree stump and thats why it got so screwy. the block isnt cracked just a couple threads are torn out like that one, the purpose of doing this is so he can sell the whole engine and tranny instead of just the head and the rest in pieces. what would you do if this was yours and you wanted to sell it, he can sell the head to someone for 600 that was offered to him or try to fix the threads and sell the whole engine for like 1000. whats your opinion?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well hes not sure that was just a rough estimate, the engine has 88,000 miles on it. think it would be wise just to take off the head and get 600 for it and try to sell the short block cheap?

·
Registered
31,218 Posts
I don't know your area in terms of demand and prices. that's the problem. If you think you can get the longblock sold for 1000 then go for it.

a shortblock that has that damage on it's own won't sell for very much I suspect. The 600 sure thing sure looks tempting though doesn't it?

I guess I'm not being very helpful.

In your area, if a longblock fetches 1000 then that's the route to go..less headaches and leftover parts for your friend. To me, it's always better to sell off as much as you can.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i dunno whoever is gonna buy it will even live around here, gotta ship that mofo out of state most likely thanks for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
knightridergsr
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing