·
Registered
713 Posts
MD reads Turbo!!! quick everyone, get subscriptions

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't read turbo. I scan the magazines when they are on the rack to see if anything new comes up that I missed. I don't have a subscription to any of them. I just noticed on the cover they had "What is the best cam to ge?"..or something like that and so I pulled it to see if they said anything we didn't here already...sometimes you just hope that they will surprise you...of course, they didn't.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/29/02 said:
...sometimes you just hope that they will surprise you...of course, they didn't.
well said... quick everyone, cancel your subscriptions

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are good articles from magazines? anything Mike Kojima writes in the SCC tech sections usually stuffed in the back section hidden....Sometimes Turbo occasionally comes up with some good brief tech goodies......the rest is fluff. Import Tuner? waste of time techwise...they perpetuate the newbie "what next to get?" mentality. Stuporstreet? excellent graphics and great jokes...tech? bwaaaahhaaahahaahahaha...although they have Jun and Steph as buddies so they have hookups on tap to bail them out...but in terms of educational journalism? they are like the Mad magazine of import rags...

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
its funny i used to have subscriptions to superstreet and sport compact car. that was my source of info for anything teg/honda related. now i dont know how longs its been since ive picked one up, i found there is absolutly no need to. it was just a waste of money on lopsided info that is explained in greater detail right here. Thanks Tuan and many others that have let me spend my money on other things.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i gotta say i have read some interesting stuff on GRM's. its really not that technical but for racing stuff they drift into tech sometimes and it seems to be pretty decent stuff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
hootb18 on Sep/29/02 said:
its funny i used to have subscriptions to superstreet and sport compact car. that was my source of info for anything teg/honda related. now i dont know how longs its been since ive picked one up, i found there is absolutly no need to. it was just a waste of money on lopsided info that is explained in greater detail right here. Thanks Tuan and many others that have let me spend my money on other things.
Amen!

·
Registered
713 Posts
guys, what are you talking about, superstreet is great. They have all sorts of pics with people who wasted... um that is spent their money on cool dvd players and playstation 2's... wait, what am I talking about? superstreet is worthless

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
i subscribe to all of them and used to get all my info from, but after frequenting the online forums, especially TI, i have realized they are full of $#!t. i have learned 95% of what i know now in the last 2 months on here compared to the rest i learned from the rags the previous 2 years. i'll probably keep subscribing, though. but just for the features, cars, and girls of course. hehehe.
the rags are full of hype and they are in it for the advertising and to back up those companies' claims.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'd have to agree that they're mostly "fluff", but if I had to pick the one w/ the least BS, I'd pick SCC. My second choice would be Honda Tuning.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
They're just magazines. Mainly designed to show pretty pictures of cars and girls. If you want real info you don't look for them in a magazine, you read a journal or book. These guys don't take themselves seriously and I don't think they expect us to either. Give them a break. They do get to drive some pretty cool cars sometimes so I can't hate

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/29/02 said:
...they perpetuate the newbie "what next to get?"...
Kind of like how fashion magazines tries to tell people what is cool and what is not, what color is "in" and what color is "out."

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
GUYS GUYS GUYS-- dont you get it--

Mags like Turbo, SCC, Import tuner and Stupid Street, are guy magazines-- they arent made to read---
for example-- you dont pick up a PLAYBOY or Penthouse for the article-- not if you're a real man---

you just look at the pics and go ooooo preeeettyyyy that owner is cool

from all the custom work thats been done and maybe develop a few ideas of your own-- also look at whats new on the scene -- like the new boosted Is300 kits out that turbo the lexus-- looking at those pics in the line at walmart i go -- wow that's different and OOOO look at those headlights--- then put the mag down and checkout--

just like Playboy---- So to those who dont like the mags i say phooey, you must not like pics of hot naked chicks either----

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Maybe if the chicks were absolutely nude!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think if you want tech on a certain vehicle then go buy a book or come to dedicated sites like TI.com. I read SCC for entertainment reasons not for tech articles. I come to TI.com to get tech articles and advice about my beloved Integra. I do agree that super street, turbo, this, that, and the other are mostly junk, but they are for entertainment only (piss poor at that). I would never turn to a rag for tech.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts