Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
No, you've just killed the 3rd gear synchro.

Now every time you "scratch" into 3rd gear you damage the synchro sleeve set. Its about $150 or so with a new 3rd synchro plus installation of course. Acura wont sell you just the sleeve set though, so its $250 from them. Gearspeed.com will I believe.

I would advise against continuing to do this, it will get worse until you cant get into 3rd at any RPM without grinding.

You need a new #9, but acura only sells you #4.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I say synchromesh for the mean time while you save to get the gear stack... Or just run the synchromesh, if that doesn't fix it, look into getting the gear stack soon...

By no means am I saying that this is the fix for it, but just long enough to make things a little bit better more than likely.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
tw0k00l on Oct/12/07 said:
hey, everytime when im power shifting and i slam third, it grinds the gears. is this a sign of my transmission failing.?
Does this mean when you shift normally it doesn't grind gears?

If so.... STOP SHIFTING LIKE THAT. It doesn't take a genious to figure that one out. Its possible you are going beyond the operating abilities of the 3rd gear synchro by doing this.

Aside from stupidity, what have you done to this car? Have you changed the clutch, or is it still a stock clutch in your car? Damage to the clutch, especially excessive force damage could have fragmented part of your clutch or popped out a spring.

Next time try searching for key terms like "grinding" rather than scratching... unless of course your tranny has claws?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok... thanks for the lesson in terminology, but no it doesnt grind when im regular shifting... and like the smart person i am, i have not shifted like that. i just want to know where i can find the part at and how much on an estimate will it cost. and i think the guy i bought it from said something about replacing the clutch...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and also, i have no idea where to get any of these products. like the sleeve set, the gear stack, and synchromesh. if you guys have some links or something, it would be most appreciated

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't go the synchromesh way. If you plan on keeping the car just do what you need to do and pull the tranny and replace all your synchros.....but yeah Meltman is right, you killed your synchro by slamming most likely.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Gearspeed is the way to go in this situation...my good friend has them in his jdm type-r trans...his 3rd gear has not grinded yet, he has even tried to perposely jam it into gear and it wont let you grind the gear because of the way they designed the syncro...
-Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
...way first you say

tw0k00l on Oct/12/07 said:
hey, everytime when im power shifting

and then you say

Quote: tw0k00l on Oct/12/07 but no it doesnt grind when im regular shifting... and like the smart person i am, i have not shifted like that.
and yet in that post you say "when I'm regular shifting" which means you shift other then regular.

Stop "power shifting"

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have that same problem. I redline to 1st to 2nd perfectly but when i slam it into 3rd it makes a scratching noise. I only hear the scratching noise when my car is above 5k rpm in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
GreyMetallicTeg on Oct/12/07 said:
my good friend has them in his jdm type-r trans...
did you know that the JDM Type R tranny has special syncros to help this.... USDM trannys lack these syncros and that is why they tend to grind more and have the syncros wear out faster... just FYI's

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
JCDC2 on Oct/13/07 said:
Quote: GreyMetallicTeg on Oct/12/07my good friend has them in his jdm type-r trans...
did you know that the JDM Type R tranny has special syncros to help this.... USDM trannys lack these syncros and that is why they tend to grind more and have the syncros wear out faster... just FYI's
Where did you hear this? If you're thinking dual cone synchros, usdm itr's have them as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.