Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 I swapped out my tan interior getting black interior parts. Dash, panels, qrtr panels, seats, etc.

I got pulled over on Sept 12th. Being that I bought the black dash from another car it had a diff VIN on it. I left it on there because I thought i had nothign to worry about since i have my real VIN posted all over the car. Anyhow it turns out my dashboard might be stolen. At the time of buying it I did a carfax report and it didnt say anything like it being stolen. It says that it was salvaged in 2002 in GA. I didnt know that salvage meant that it could be due to theft. You would think it would say stolen vehicle or something. Anyhow an investigator is looking into this now. I bought the dash and door panels from a guy off of the recycler.

Makes you really think about who you are buying from. Always get a receipt. Write down where you buy it and the name of who you are buying it from.

I might do jail time just because I bought car parts off of the recycler. This situation is really messed up. on top of that I might not even get the car back. Depends on impound fees and the other parts on the car. I have receipts for all engine parts etc and i have buy/sell ratings on here for other parts.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i bought my interior out of a car that had been flipped... i went to the car in the junkyard and took it all out myself lol... but anyways we dont have **** like that over here in FL... noone ever checks out VIN's except someone trying to steal our cars.... thats why my VIN is covered up anyways.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
well beings as that is the only one police really check unless they make you pop yur hood i'd say you should have seen this coming, lucky they didn't arrest you on the spot because to them the entire car looked stolen at the time

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I beleive they checked the vin on the dash and the one inside the door. In orange county they check for stolen cars all the time. I told them that i had bought it from a guy on the recycler when i swapped out the interior.

·
Registered
242 Posts
wow, definitely get a lawyer. Open the phone book and call around. You shouldn't go to court with a case like this by yourself or you might get jail time. Sucks things like this happen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
venidero on Sep/17/07 said:
I bought the dash and door panels from a guy off of the recycler.
Is the recycler same as a junk yard??

Did you pay this person cash or is there an electronic trail???

I dont think that you'll get jail time over this but i would do everything you can to "help" them try to trace down the source. I would not run out and get a lawyer unless it is very clear that they're going to come after you or your entire car. Hiring a lawyer right away and shoving him/her in their face may work against you as it may seem to the police that you have done something wrong and you're already on the defensive. Keep in mind it costs them nothing to make you're life hell. Also, are there any postings that you've made on here when you did the swap where you stated anything like "got the dash from the recycler today going to install soon etc..."
Those may help to convince them you bought the item where you're telling them.

Anyways, GL to you and sorry about your situation. THis is however, very very good information to everyone on here to be a little more careful.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
that's messed up.but you should have switched the vin's...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
K. Well the detective has looked into it. The car was salvaged in 2002 I guess not from theft so they finally dropped the charges. The downside was they broke my windshield somehow and scraped the **** out of my dash by the vin. So i have the car back but it's at acura getting a new window and moulding replaced around the windshield. The PD is going to reimburse me for the costs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.