Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of all the apexi N1 systems with angled mufflers for no apparent reason other than looks. For those of you who don't know, the reason ANY muffler was EVER angled to begin with, was because it followed the natural rout of the exhaust piping. If anybody has seen the buddy club exhaust system that follows this principle then you know what I am talking about.
Here is my angled muffler:

If you notice (I dunno how well you call can see from the picture, there is some SERIOUS angle on my muffler. Moreso than you would get if you are putting extra kinks in the piping to bring it at that angle from over the rear lca.

That being said, this is how an angled exhaust system is SUPPOSED to be done:

Yes its low (about 1.5" ground clearance), yes I know that mandrel bends allow for an almost infinite number of turns without affecting exhaust flow so going under the gas tank with the piping is more than likely pointless. So please spare me the lecture on all that. I also know this... NOBODY has an exhaust system like this, it sounds sick as hell driving down the road, its a lot quieter than my spoon N1, I havn't lost any performance because its all mandrel bends, and i did it because... well... i can! Comments, questions, flames all welcome!

·
Registered
689 Posts
just watch those bumps! looks cool though, a lil different, but it comes right up the middle and i like it. Similar to nicklk's setup, i think he had a straight 3 in pipe from the header back.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Is that a twin loop? Other than that its pretty cool. Have fun with the clearance though, looks like its going to get banged up a lot.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
That looks bad ass. I've seen a car in town with a turbo set up that ran 3in. piping straight through the middle to an A'PEXi N1 turbo muffler (I think someone on here did something similar). A+ for being unique.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i sorry but i don't like any angled exhaust, i think they look like they are "rigged" like you didn't have the money to buy the "correct" muffler so you stuck some cheap one on there and had to angle it to get it to fit.

that's just my thoughts if you like the way it looks then that's cool. i do like the twin pass muffler.

·
Registered
79 Posts
thumbs up for under the tank! I went under the tank on my exhaust and i love it. Ground clearence isnt a huge issue..and i agree it looks way more natural. there is no reason to have an angled muffler if you go over the LCA. nice job

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Looks good. It's pretty unique I guess. You talked about how the usual angled exhausts have more bends in them in order to make them angled, but your twin loop muffler has two 180 degree bends. I'm not saying it makes much of a difference, but either way is good enough with the right size piping for your app.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
94-Teg on Jan/23/06 said:
imo i think it looks kinda ricey, but if thats what you want thats cool.. i bet its somewhat restrictive to the exhaust system too, even if it is mandrel bent

he's saying that his is angled because it reduces the number of bends, like on the supra and other cars that have their piping flow like that.

Not like how the other people who bend it to have it look like that but reduce performance while doing so.

That's why his piping does follow along in curves under the car.

Unless i read it wrong?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
"Yes its low (about 1.5" ground clearance)... I also know this... NOBODY has an exhaust system like this"

Man... if it's 1.5" i think there is no way for it to survive speed bumps, you can angle the front of your car but when you get over a speedbump, and the speed bump is in the wheelbase area of your car, it'll scrape all the way back :(

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 180 degree bend doesn't quiet it down as much as the additional pass through the muffler. It's like having two mufflers stacked in a row on the exhaust tract.

I'm not a fan for of the angled look myself, but then again, I don't drive your car...lol. Props for trying something a bit different.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok kids lets recap:

exhaust systems such as the buddy club spec II are routed like this so that there are fewer bends in the system to supposedly reduce exhaust flow. However, the misconception is that any bend reduces flow. If it is a crush bend then yes, because the bend is reduced diameter thus bottlenecking the piping. If it is mandrel then no it does not restrict because the diameter is constant throughout.

Thus, technically, it really doesn't matter if i go for a straighter rout to the muffler or take the normal rout over the right lca because the mandrel bends will not increase pressure.

Now... along with this theory, we must understand that the muffler itself with a total of 360 degrees in bends will NOT reduce flow because both bends are mandrel.

So technically i suppose you could say that my exhaust system is hypocritical because I am using both principles (straighter line is better/mandrel bends don't inhibit performance)...

Ultimately my plan is to have a falange put on the current twin pass muffler about 3 or 4 inches before the actual muffler, as well as the same on my spoon n1. That way I can easily switch to the n1 for road racing (where cops don't exist), and back to the twin pass for street.

I did my exhaust like this for a couple reasons. I think it looks dope, not many people do it this way, I'm a nut job... thats just a few reasons of the top of my head. Think what you will... good or bad, I like my new blowhole ;)

thanks for all your comments thus far. keep em coming. I like to know what people think good or bad.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just like the fact that you actually did it for a reason and not "because its cool" or whatever.

My resonator scrapes all the time and its like 3 inches off the ground.. God knows if i had something like yours, it would probably get ripped off the first day i had it on. haha.

Good job though and good luck keeping it intact.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.