Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was siting down one day at home watching the speed channel. The show was American Muscle Car (which is a personal favorite of mine) and I thought about what would be a classic car 20-30 years down the road because thats about the age that many of us will be when we seriosly start looking at classic cars more seriously. And i ask myself what about imports will they be classics? More importantly what about our belovid Integras do the really have the ability to become classics 30 years down the road? Are many of the cars too generic to be collected and lack that uniquness that the great American Muscle cars had? Its hard to say and it is simply a question that is just to complex for one person (myself) can fairly Judge. will i be looking for that perfect GSR to begin my restoration project when im 50 years old? Im not sure. Now for one thing im sure that the Type R's will have derfinant staying power so lets try to keep this disscussion focused manly on the majorty of this communites cars which are the LS's GSR's Se's GS's.

Please share your opinions

·
Registered
449 Posts
Interesting analysis. I would think they would be a classic. Heck my 91 feels like a classic event tho the styling is in my opinion, current. Some people will not though, and it may depend on how many are made, and how many are left at the time down the line.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one thing that i see as a problem is how this generation of Honda drivers like to canabalise integras and use our motors for their civics. 15-20yrs down the road we may find it hard when we go searching for An Integra restoration project and all we can find are engine-less shells

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
TeamLosi on Apr/21/04 said:
one thing that i see as a problem is how this generation of Honda drivers like to canabalise integras and use our motors for their civics. 15-20yrs down the road we may find it hard when we go searching for An Integra restoration project and all we can find are engine-less shells
werd!!!!!! although that happened to a point back in the day...

·
Registered
379 Posts
But if you think about it, this would help thin the numbers, therefore enriching it's ability to become a classic.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i think if imports do get to be classics, integras have a good chance at becomeing one

·
Registered
252 Posts
I tend to think of Civic SI's and Integra Type R's as the Camaro SS and Mustang GT's of our time. Think about it, we talk about VTEC and turbos the same way our dads talked about tweaking carbs and big blocks. I'd like to think when I'm 50 I'll be able to talk about my old '00 Teg the way my dad can talk about his old '67 Mustang. It might sound silly now, but in 30 years the muscle cars of 1965 will be nearly 70 years old. I imagine we'll have some "new" classics by then. I can hear it now, "Yep, it's an all original, numbers matching '98 GSR. This little old lady had it tucked away in a barn in Minnesota for the last 15 years..."

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Type-R might still get some recognition down the road, but it's hard to see the rest of the line up become "classics".

The cars from recent memory that will go down in import lore, MKIV Supra TT, 300zx, MR2 T, 3000GT VR4, STi 22b, Skyline GTR, RX7 FD.... you get the idea

·
Registered
518 Posts
it will probably be like the old muscle cars. a 454ss chevelle is a classic, but for those who cant find one or do not have the funds for a authintic ss they get the base model and try to mimic a 454ss. That will probably hold true, you will look for a mint low milage type r and they will be hard to find. So you will get a ls, or gsr and try to make it into a type r.

·
Registered
22 Posts
IMO the 1990 Integra started alot of what some call modding imports.Sure people modded omni glh's and stuff, but really the first import to start to get modded alot was the 1990 Integra!It was before alot of the cars some talk about, and it was the first cheap,reliable,go fast import! end of story!

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
b18teg21 on Apr/22/04 said:
IMO the 1990 Integra started alot of what some call modding imports.Sure people modded omni glh's and stuff, but really the first import to start to get modded alot was the 1990 Integra!It was before alot of the cars some talk about, and it was the first cheap,reliable,go fast import! end of story!
Huh? Sorry man, but I don't think that's the case. I understand you love your car and everything, but there is nothing special about a 1990 Integra.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Argued by many as the best model Integra ever. In 1990, the Integra was outfitted with the front-end design that would build a legacy and ultimately was going to last for the next 11 years (in Japan). The 2nd generation began the real Integra surge and was one of the pioneers in creating the import car scene that we see today. The 2nd generation Integra was given the larger 1.8L B18B engine which was able to output 130HP and 121 ft-lbs. torque.

taken from this site!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I think modifying cars has been around for decades, it's just now there is a bigger mass market out there. I believe the Civic is played out, due to the fact that everyone wanted to modify it, as the trend was...back a few years.

Edit: So I'm saying Honda in general was a pioneer for the import wave, rather than breaking it down to a single car..

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
b18teg21 on Apr/22/04 said:
Argued by many as the best model Integra ever. In 1990, the Integra was outfitted with the front-end design that would build a legacy and ultimately was going to last for the next 11 years (in Japan). The 2nd generation began the real Integra surge and was one of the pioneers in creating the import car scene that we see today. The 2nd generation Integra was given the larger 1.8L B18B engine which was able to output 130HP and 121 ft-lbs. torque.

taken from this site!
I understand your point. I'm saying, look at it right now, the 1990 Integra doesn't hold much of a market value. The only Integra that does is the Type-R and to some extent the GSR. Why? Because it was a special production car.

IMO Honda lost money on the ITR. It was mostly just a flex of muscle to show everyone what they could do.

And yes, I would have the same sentiments if I didn't have a Type-R.

Back on topic now, please. If you would like to address this further, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think some integras should be classics. I do not know if it will be accepted as a whole but at least in the import community. The 1992-93 gsr is definately a classic.

I like the gen gsr (so much I bought one) but there are too many. They made them for 8 years. Ten years from now if I see a STOCK, Low mileage gsr. I would consider it a classic and something worth keeping. However, I do not feel the same about the RS,LS, etc.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I think any car that runs on gasoline will be considered a classic in 25+ years from now.

I think the whole "Import scene" will be remembered and the Integra will be known as one of the most popular cars in this scene. The 94+ Integra really set it off.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I agree with Chris. When we are a bunch of old farts, it wont matter if we had a Si or GSR or ITR, the point is that we had a teg. We probably wont have it around then, we'll just have memories.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts