Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day people

Within the next two weeks i want to dump ye old Cassette Stereo which came standard with my 91 Integra LS. For my system, i have been hooking up my iRiver SlimX Mp3 CD player via a carkit.

I've decided i'd like to go ahead with buying a MP3CD headunit, for under AU$500 (aus, us conversion ratio, just halve whatever i've listed). I want to get a good system, something that i can enjoy, but i don't really want the whole Awesome headunit, killer speakers, thumping subwoofer with the crazy amp. I want to listen to my music, but not deafen everyone in the process.

http://www.jvc-australia.com/product2.asp?859

is what i'm looking at, but for a much cheaper $140 less, i can get a

http://www.jvc-australia.com/product2.asp?861

The second one is 45x4 peak, as opposed to the more expensive one, which is 50 x 4. Amongst the other features, would i notice much difference between the two? Also, i'll be buying four new speakers, but i've decided, i probably won't buy component speakers for the front.. If i did though, would i notice a great difference?...

Speakers - 2 way or 3 way?
I know if you get too powerful speakers, your system can't handle them, and they just turn out to be a waste of money. I want decent, good speakers which can handle my stereo, and that's about it. I'm willing to spend $150 on a pair... maybe more if i end up buying the components (normal + tweeter thingy) for the front.

I do want killer bass, but i'm not really looking forward to sticking a sub in my boot. Should the speakers be able to handle the bass well enough?

I mainly listen to hiphop, and a bit of hard rock.

Thanks fellas, for helpin me...

Dan

ps, if you can list links to speakers or other recommended headunits, which i could find in australia, which are less or of equal price to what i've listed above, that would be much appreciated

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
"buy component speakers for the front.. If i did though, would i notice a great difference?..."
yes, you would.. components are way superior, they come with better sounding and better quality tweeters, and much higher grade crossovers

radio's built in power ratings
throw the numbers right out the window... its all marketing.. look at it this way, do you really think they could squeeze the power something like this amp puts out into a radio chassis? Answer: no way on this earth
Radios put out between 12-16 watts a channel.. and if you were going for "no amp", i'd suggest any pioneer models, as they use MOSFET outputs (not going to explain what it is, but its "more powerful" than IC Transistors that every one else uses)

"enough bass?"
man, thats something only you can decide.... where stock speakers might be enough bass for Joe Schmo (even to the levels of "killer bass"), i'd take nothing less than 500 watts going to a 12" woofer (point trying to make: you won't get a "right" answer because everyone's answer would be "right")

2 or 3 way
a good quality set of 2 way speakers will outperfrom a "3 way" set any day... that "super tweeter" on a 3-way is useless

also check out this article we have on site: Things to Look for in a Stereo Receiver

·
Registered
111 Posts
MorningZ on Sep/03/02 said:
MOSFET outputs (not going to explain what it is, but its "more powerful" than IC Transistors that every one else uses)
just for those who didn't know, mosfet = "metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor"

·
Registered
865 Posts
Don't even say those words again Deuce, lol! Mechanical Engineers aren't fond of electrical engineering.
As far as you're choice between the two head units bud...I would go with the cheaper one from what you've said you're looking for. Then maybe a 10" sub with a moderately powered amp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do want killer bass, but i'm not really looking forward to sticking a sub in my boot.

if you're positive you're never going to put a subwoofer in and aren't concerned with the extra featuresof the KD-SX985, then i'd suggest the KD-S785. also, do "comparison shop" before you go buy it to make sure you find the best deal.

Mechanical Engineers aren't fond of electrical engineering.

that's a damn shame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts