Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering making an article for the sub box that i made about 6 months ago. The thing is the box is already made. I am willing to do another one step by step but the process is slightly more lengthy than some of the projects on this site. I wanted to make this post to show you all the sub box that I feel is the best sub box for our car. I hope that anyone who is interested will let me know as it will effect my decision as to make a step by step post or to make a detailed article.

First of all I want to say this, the integra type R is said to be the best handling front wheel drive car ever made. While I do not drive or own a type R I like to think that some of those qualities were passed to my GSR. I am a practical thinker who believes in having a practical car. Hopefully this will help you to understand why I feel this is such a great box for any gen Integra.

1. The box removes in less than one minute safely in the case that you like to have a little bass to your music but don't want to make the commitment to an extra 40-100+ lbs of system. Basically if you want to go to the track and drag race or to an SCCA event, pop the box out remove your fuse from under the hood and you are still wired so that you can put the box in as fast as you removed it.

2. When designing the box it was important that I did not lose the abiltiy to have a rear strut bar. As you see in the pics I have plenty of room above my strut bar and if you ended up making a slightly bigger box you would too.

3. Last but not least, if you don't already know, hatchbacks are the best cars for systems.

Again I don't plan to race my car full time nor do i plan to attend the next SPL contest. So if you are like me and have considered a system I think this is a setup that you should look into.

**This project includes fiberglassing** The enclosure is fiberglassed to the hatch cover on all sides and then the hatch cover is also doused in resin to add strength.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TaTsmy00integra on Feb/21/04 said:
wow 40 to 100 pounds thats alot of weight. my car system doesnt even weight more the 25 pounds and that thing make my throat tickle
I have not weighed this box, I just said that number as an average for systems in most cases that is not unusual. I will weigh my box tommorrow.

·
Registered
243 Posts
looks like a sweet design, where did you put your amp?
I like how it's flush with the cargo cover.

the only thing that sucks about it is that it would be easy to steal (something my car seems to be prone to)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My sub is a 10" MB Quart PWD 254. 12" speakers will fit too.

Amp is under the passenger seat.

andrew_02 on Feb/21/04 said:
the only thing that sucks about it is that it would be easy to steal (something my car seems to be prone to)
I also made a grill cover that can be used to mask the sub when you are parked.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would be interested and for sure would read the article if you did one.
I am thinking about upgrading the system
Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Louse76 on Feb/21/04 said:
You would need your back window to be tinted unless you want the sun eating away at the sub.
A valid point that most people overlook but with my sub being carbon fiber, I don't really have anything to worry about. The OEM look is what i really love about it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Very very interesting design, I'm liking it a lot. one of my friends back in Texas, not in Integra owner, has a design like that, totally custom. He had a way of fliping it around though when not in use so it could be hiden from people looking to steal it. Can you get some larger pics though, closer shots? I would love to see more of that.

I also have a custom box for my Integra that I feel would do the same thing as yours: ability to take out within in a minute, keep the strut bar, around 40 lbs, and keep the spare tire. However, mine is built on the bottom of the trunk so it can be covered with the trunk cover and reduce any chance of theft. I will take pics for you guys if you would like to see just let me know.

Back to your design though, I really like....first time I've seen that on a Teg.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Inty2511,

I have noticed some rattle from the factory plastic. I feel confident that the rattle can be reduced but since I generally have the music on I rarely hear the rattle. If you mean outside of the car, No i have no rattles but I don't have a super loud system.

95 Teg,

I will try and take some larger pics outside of the car I still haven't weighed it, Ive just been busy, I would like to see your box too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I will get pics as soon as possible, probably this weekend sometime. Thinking about it though, after I posted...I realized that it would be harder to take out my box with strut bar as it will be in the way. It'd need to be unbolted to take out mine. I'll get pics this weekend and post them for you guys.

·
Registered
662 Posts
three words lots of dynomatt, that is a very smart design i only wish my w7 wasnt so damn long otherwise id try that approach haha and i came up with a pretty cool idea you could put your sturt bar "inside the box like make a hole for it and just have it in there before you put the box in and that would be the ultimate in theft prevention well besides standing at your car with a bat but thats my .02 i like your design though its hot.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.