Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I've been noticing a lot of cars lately that are lowered to within about a half an inch of the ground. and they seem to be daily drivers. probably have the super stiff suspension so they don't hit the pavement with the bumps on the road but...

I was thinking of doing the same thing with mine after I had it all rebuilt and everything but I'm in school and in our parking lot we have 2 big a** speed bumps that you can't get around. I was wondering what do you people do when you get to a speed bump that is too tall to go over? do you stop and find another way around or do you let your car get gutted accidentily?(by not realizing how tall the bump is) I lowered my car by about an inch and I'm still worried every time I see these 2 bumps.

though I suppose people who slam their rides right to the ground usually have show cars I've seen a couple here and there and a ToN in toronto, that make me laugh, I mean when some of these people hit a pothole hard enough they are bound to screw up their side skirts and probably their new front bumper and rear bumper. don't get me wrong I love the looks of these rides. Some look absolutly gorgeous. but my problem is the practicality. whats the point? if it is your daily driver and you can't drive through a major parking lot without the fear of damaging your car is it really worth the extra attention?

and I'll bet the moderators are reading this right now going "oh man is this guy going to get flamed, we better cut this off now." but really, everyone think about it. lowered cars can(and do) look nice but the practicality of it is almost nothing.

I love my teg, as I'm sure everyone else here does. and I would love to do the suspension up to the next level so it was super stiff and the ride hight was almost nil. but it just doesn't seem practical. so PLEASE! someone tell me I'm wrong and how you deal with dreaded speed bump or deep pothole with a severly lowered ride.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I feel u man! honestly, i'm having the same problem. I honestly don't think there's a way you can deal with a speed bump no matter how good of a suspension your car has. Cause of the fact that your car is so low I don't see any way you can do anything about it at all. =/

·
Registered
224 Posts
my car is dropped 2.25 inches with Sknuk 2 lowering springs, and i love the way it drives but i do wish it was about 1/2 an inch higher up for practicality reasons, im constantly scanning the road for things that could get in my way, speed bumps i have to take slowly and at an angle.

the problem with hitting things is not with the bumper or side skirts (all stock for me) but 2 metal tiedown brackets that hang down low in the front and the header.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok now you gotta go over a speedbump sidways. all well and good to protect what you've invested in. but now you've had to take all that time lining up to get over it right and there is a lineup of cars behind you. probably whining and honking(jerks) at you, so you may have a kick a** looking ride but now everyone thinks you must be a jacka** holding up traffic like that.

so now you've got from having a super sweet ride to looking like some moron who has no idea what he is doing with his beautiful teg.

so now we are back to the practicality issue. Now I can go over a speed bump but I have to do it sideways and it takes a little time. where as if I didn't slam my ride I could have been up over the bump and moving on smoothly and not impedeing traffic (probably attracting police attention which is the only kind I don't want).

and now that you kind people have answered the origional question of how to get over these bumps the next one is more of a personal opinion question.

so I suppose what I'm really asking on behalf of the befuddled masses is how the hell do people think it is a good thing to lower their daily drivers to the pavement and still think it is useful?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Angles angles angles.

I'm lowered 4 1/2 inches on some 17" rims....angles angles angles.

Haha...if anything it's made me a better driver...I keep my eyes open more...and notice the curves of the road ALOT better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i rub the bottom bumper of my car all the time, it really sucks, and i also scrape the insides of my wheel well in the front, potholes haven't been to much of a problem for me tho, and as for speedbumps, you just gotta slow right down, its the driveways that kill ya.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, I have problems all the time, I've had a couple instinces where I have gotten stuck in parking lots and ended up having to pull out some small wooden blocks I have to help... Here's a general idea of how low the car is but it's a little lower now..

All I can recommend is don't buy a carbon fiber lip, it's the most brittle **** ever. I have almost broke mine several times and have several stress cracks on the bottom of it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
hdogg on Jan/29/06 said:
i rub the bottom bumper of my car all the time, it really sucks, and i also scrape the insides of my wheel well in the front, potholes haven't been to much of a problem for me tho, and as for speedbumps, you just gotta slow right down, its the driveways that kill ya.
day gone man, can i see the pics of ur teg

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
yeah, if you're too low, no angle is even going to help you. angling over a speed bump just makes sure that the full weight of the car doesn't come back down all at the same time which will cause the car to drop lower and bottom out. it eases the car over so while one tire clears the bump, the other one is still supporting it so it doesn't slam down. i would suggest finding the tallest speedbump you know of that you would have to drive over at some point in your life, and lowering your car based on that bump. expect to scrape your resonator if you have an aftermarket exhaust system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is exactly what I'm talking about!!

That looks damn fine but as you said it sucks when you rub your bumper!

and what are you going to do about it? nothing! just drive slower and be more careful. but is that what you really want to do with a car as fun as a teg? I know I love to rip around in mine going up and down winding roads. I don't want to worry about thinks like speedbumps.

and before you jump all over me pointing out "there arn't speed bumps on the roads you like to drive on" you are right there are not speed bumps. however there are just generally cruddy roads or parts of roads that have sunk with the freezing or thawing of the ground, that have huge dips or bumps in them. and if you were going too fast and nailed one you can kiss that sweet lip goodbye.

·
Registered
648 Posts
lordmulgath on Jan/29/06 said:
that is exactly what I'm talking about!!

That looks damn fine but as you said it sucks when you rub your bumper!

and what are you going to do about it? nothing! just drive slower and be more careful. but is that what you really want to do with a car as fun as a teg? I know I love to rip around in mine going up and down winding roads. I don't want to worry about thinks like speedbumps.

and before you jump all over me pointing out "there arn't speed bumps on the roads you like to drive on" you are right there are not speed bumps. however there are just generally cruddy roads or parts of roads that have sunk with the freezing or thawing of the ground, that have huge dips or bumps in them. and if you were going too fast and nailed one you can kiss that sweet lip goodbye.
Honestly, my teg is no longer fun to drive. The lip made it such a pain in the ass that I am constantly worrying about things. I would not recommend running a huge lip or low drop unless you want to worry about your car. When I take a sharp turn I can hear my lip slightly hit the pavement, a little rock could take out the whole lip...

Honestly, I would just lower it, ITR lip and call it a day... H&R Sports would be great with an ITR lip... Or if you want to go low like me, buy a spoon/ww lip and take it on and off for shows.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not to pick on you or anything but why not take off the lip and have your fun car back? I mean you had to get it in the first place because it is a kick ass little car that was a blast to drive. and if the lip makes you worry so much just pull er off and sell it on ebay or something. or as you suggested pull it off and put it back on for shows.

Get your car back White GSR! regain the fun-mobile! free the sporty little beast in your driveway/garage. don't keep it prisoner behind a lip! go and drive your heart out! FREEEEEEDDOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
speed bumps... a shopping center near our house have just finished putting some... i'll tell you... now they make em, skinny and tall... even my 1.3" drop with ITR lip still scrapes...
atleast the one in school are rather low and flatter so even when i'm running late i don't scrape that much...

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
People that lower their cars TOO much just simply are not serious about performance.
I personally don't care what the car looks like all that much and if you are, your probably not truely into performance once again. You can't have it both ways if you think slammed looks good.

As far as I'm concerned if you go any lower than 2.25" with the Integra your into looks more than performance simply because your car WILL be riding on the bump stops. Even 2" with stiff springs is right on the edge.
I'm around 2" lowered and rarely scratch or rub anything. I just take most speed bumps slow. If you lower more than that....take your chances with rubbing, scratching and ride on the bump stops. Your choice.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
two bumps in two bumps out that for my appt complex.. they are already at angles for the snow plows ( i know i drive that too ) so i can take mine stright on but they still suck and i do scrape thankfuly they are fat and low but sometime when im not carfull my shift linkage rubs the ground... i try to get al the goods over the gap between the bumps.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
take it at an angle but some speed bumps are impossible to go over. Like the ones at my old high school i'd have to avoid them cuz the car would literally get stuck if i tried to go over it so i never did! It'll mess up ur car... If you have an after market exhaust system and headers u have to be careful not to bend those and be careful for your oil pan also!
but for most speed bumps that are rounded, taking them at an angle also will help and i'm slammed all the way on ground controls so thats like a 3.5 if not more drop!
hope that helps
and yes its bumpy as **** but i like it~

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.