Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey..

I recently went to the Brisbane Motor Show here in QLD, Australia. Anyway, some of the cars were awesome ... lambos, mercs, audis, bimmers ...

The thing I wondered is - how do they make the cars looks SO glossy and shiny? I dont mean that to sound stupid .. but like they had a WRX evo club spec - my bro has just the normal WRX in the same colour & shape ... but the one at the show was 10x shinier and nicer looking (brothers was brand new only end of last year...he polishes it all the time with good meguiars stuff).

Is there some special polish they use? I've heard of STP .. but cant find any info on it - apparently one too you put on, then spray off?!

Does anyone know some of the secrets the car manufacturers use to get the cars looking so wet-look glossy?

·
Registered
99 Posts
they probably take cars destined for show off the line and sand them for an extra 20 hours by hand -something impractical for every car. I don't know, last year I saw some Rolls Royce cars with mad orange peel.

·
Super Moderator
14,170 Posts
either they or their detailer are good. It doesn't necessarily need extra clear coat or sanding.

Check out what this guy does with regular paint. I think you'll need to sign up to view it but there's some more good info for you there after you've read the links above and the articles we've got on it.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
tony4311 on Feb/08/04 said:
either they or their detailer are good. It doesn't necessarily need extra clear coat or sanding.

Check out what this guy does with regular paint. I think you'll need to sign up to view it but there's some more good info for you there after you've read the links above and the articles we've got on it.
Don't forget to mention he does all his work by hand.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Lots of car show cars are just slathered in high oil containing glazes too. That is a sure fire way to get a car looking good. The lighting that they places cars under at car shows is helpful too. Most of all, the exotics that they are showing are likely never driven in the conditions that we drive ours in. So its eaiser to show off a shine like that when you've got a $35,000 paint job and zero swirls. The really impressive thing is when you can show a car with 90,000 miles next to a brand new car with 0 miles and actually have the older car looking better. That's a tribute to true detailing. Its easy to make a brand new car look awesome. Its a lot harder to bring an old car back from the dead. Of course, with enough glazes I guess anything is possible...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts