Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah I know guys, I'm gonna get hate, but what can I say, I love to drift, and rwd cars in my area are expensive and my skills are in fwd so I'm making the most of it. I'm a left foot braker which is important when considering my build.

The car has just had another round of repairs and upgrades which took nearly 1.5 years. Upgrades include eccp full coilovers, energy polyurethane bushing kits for everything on the underside nearly except for a few bits, 24 mm sway bar, asr subframe brace, new battery, plugs and wires, new door handle, new oil plug, new oil sending unit,actually 3 of those, the first 2 went out after a week each, car was lowered to .5 inches under stock, added new spoiler, other one provided too much down force.

The next round is being done by a motorsport company and this will make or brake the build.

I talked to them about welding a new floor in...there is currently a dinner plate sized hole right under the pedals.
None of this is final yet but the current plan is to add a second set of calipers to the rear of the car, remove the factory parking brake and installing a hydraulic ebrake to the second set. The first set of calipers is going to be made bigger. I may go with the type r no bs bolt on kit, ( typer calipers,mini cooper rotors, acura tsx 04- 08 brake pads) and the very absolute thing I need for this build- an adjustable prop valve for the brakes so I can send more of the stopping power to the rear on the track( so i dont burn off the front brakes ) and go back to road safe for the drive home. The car doesnt have a trailer so I have to be able to street drive the car too.
It's possible I'm going to need to add/ change the master cylinder, and possible a brake booster eminator( these help you not lock the tires when getting upwards of 80% and higher of the braking limit.)
I have some other plans in mind too..but I haven't talked with anybody yet about the feasibility of adding an lsd, but I cant afford all of this at once so I'm focusing on a 1 to 2 systems at a time to make sure they are tested and what I want before moving on. I may need to stiffen the rear a bit more, it doesnt have a rear strut tower brace yet, and I need a set of mismatched tires, the wider the better in the front, and the thinner the better in the back. This is because I cant change my turn in angle by adding steering knuckle extensions like a propper rwd drift car, so I have to make the front stable, grippy, and wide as possible. Fortunately the long body of the integra makes it a great platform for shifting weight, and getting the rear to come out.
Anyway, that's all I've got for now. Feel free to post your opinions, but this post is mainly for others who want to do this but dont know where to start.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After bringing Raven ( my integra's name)to the shop and talking with the guy I decided to scale back the upgrades do to cost. They will still be done, just at a more affordable level. So first up is the hole in the floor and the brake bias proportioning valve. I can't say the shop owner was enthused about putting drift car gear on a lowly ff, but I bit my tongue and just kindly asked if he would do it...his reaction was basically dont waste the money, get a real car, but he willingly accepted upon my promise of cash. I know why people say things like this, I own and drive a brz...but I cant say I have the same skill drifting it. FF Drifting feels way more controlled..and I love a challenge. I dont really care what it's technically called, I'm not trying to invalidate anyone else's skill, i just simply love driving at the limits, and this little tegra does that. It's not even a manual, and she goes plenty sideways already.

I will need to test the prop valve mod after it's done before determining if I will need bigger rear brakes....however this may need to wait till I can get the mismatched tires...thats where the combination of nearly locking rear brakes, and managing the oversteer will prove effective. I will be getting car back in a week. Stay tuned...im gonna post my findings here on the brake bias valve and its effectiveness both before and after tires.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So some life changing events have recently caused me to cut the upgrades short.. It did receive the floor repair and it has 2 proportioning valves installed...one for each pair of wheels (front right and back left on one and front left and back right on the other)...so I can adjust each pair separate. The rest will be done later in the spring when I have more money saved and have test the cars setup a bit more..and for now its relegated to daily duty as my other car is no longer with me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I picked up my car today..total cost 740$ for a repaired floor and twin adjustable bias prop valves ( one per rear tire) now it's just a waiting game of waiting for the right conditions to fiddle with her settings...but for now I have it set to provide about 55 % stopping power to front...apparently if I crank them all the way or even close to that...the rear brakes will lock much earlier than the front...this is desired to achieve oversteer...one thing that I will also be doing is acquiring my mismatch set of tires, but only after I know the limits of what the bias valve does to the car....this combination will provide the car with more ability to hold and maintain drifts for longer, steeper angles. One last note....the brake light in the dash is on...im not sure yet if they produced a leak while working on it, or if its low on fluid, or if there is a pressure differential switch that's going off because it recognizes abnormal brake pressure. But I will just start with regularly checking fluid levels and with any luck it'll be fine..my gut tells it's the PDS option though...brakes seemed good on the way home. That's all I've got for now.TTFN

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winter has begun in my area and I am finally able to starting adjusting my prop valves...I've gotten atleast a few hours of seat time with the brakes...with the valves at 5 of 11 turns down...the front is in very much control of the braking, but if I punch it hard it will drift,even slower speeds. Also gently drag the brake I can use the steering to buck the car into an elongated drift, but keeping the throttle down is important....
The car will be going into a shop again...this time just some routine maintenance stuff...wind sheild wipers, oil change, fluid check and then tires...I'm gonna look into my mismatch set...the car still has on an original set of jumbos on the car since I bought it, I'm gonna put wider tires on the front and see how much grip is gained...I'm so glad winter can last 6 months here..I'm gonna need all of that time to dial her in properly. I wish could do more to the car myself, but it's getting to damm cold and my garage isnt heated sadly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So just got back from the shop, didn't get tires yet, apparently the car is still leaking oil from somewhere, and now is also leaking power steering fluid....I know most tracks dont allow leaky cars, so add that to the stack of things to fix. Other than that car checks out healthy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's been a bit since my last post but I've finally figured out the oil leak...it was an 85 cent o-ring off of the exhaust cam..the plastic plug is still good, just the seal was bad...no more oil leak...a friend of mine who used to own a honda found it in less than 2 minutes, also purchase some nitro racing tires for the front, high durability 205/50 r 15s for the front...they arent on the car yet as some random law states that the shops here cant put bigger tires on the front without adding to the back, so I just purchased them and a friend is gonna install them next week. As it warms up here I will start testing the tire combo with the braking system to see how consistently it can actually drift and at what speeds. I will post my results here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nitto 205 50 r15s have been added. The car generates more oversteer when braking, and recovers faster..its a bit jerky but manageable, I still have only used it a 5 turns out of 11 on the prop valve. It's time to put the rear tires to more work and increase brake pressure to the rear, starting at 6.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car currently induces significant over steer around 55 mph with the current tires, and can create enough oversteer to spin out. The slightly lower nose seems to help alot, recovery seems easier than before, I think the added grip is making the difference, it will be interesting to see how this progresses as the tires wear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tires are now properly used, with the settings right the car has only 45 % stopping power in the front, in rain she will do ridiculous drifts almost to the point of spinning out, and dry it drifts better than before but nothing compared to rwd I ll be competing against so i need to get more angle. I want to try slimmer tires in the back, and if possible boost the power a touch to elongate the drifts a little more.

I was also considering getting an exhaust header for the car as well as needing the brakes to be changed out. The brakes will be done soon, the header will be later.

Due to the nature of drifting in such a car I will be doing further testing at a track so I can push the car to the limits easier. I will be headed up to the track in a few weeks. I will be putting the car through tech inspection to make sure I meet all the requirements for drifting and hopefully soon I can put this baby to work!

Testing it up to this point has been a blast, I just wish there was more fwd drifters out there! Earlier I had contacted several drifting teams that are local and they all said the wouldn't even associate with me because of my cars drivetrain. I love talking about cars and sharing experiences and moments, and regardless of drivetrain more than anything else I was just looking for a cool crowd to familiarize me with the track and its resources and how drifting competitions actually function, but no such luck so I'm doing some scouting first this year. I'll be going to the track mostly to see what I can see and learn where everything is, and familiarize myself with the environment and it's people. Luckily it's only 5$ to watch...lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing a friend reminded me of is the load I put on the transmission. He suggests a tranny cooler, otherwise I risk overheating the transmission. I may have to look into it, and since I'm here the seats in the car are hard old smooth leather which I slide all over in when cornering, so seats needs to be added to the list as well.
This weekend I'll be fabricating a new battery hold down bracket, that should be compliant with track safety standards. The car also needs a fire extinguisher as well. I am not sure if cages are required at the track I go to, I'll just find that out next time I'm up there, though i beleive there is atleast 1 bracket that doesnt need them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So do to life circumstances i missed the last drift day...the next one is next wednesday. I have a helmet but the car is making a sound...I suspect a wheel bearing going out. I'm putting her in for repairs, hopefully it will be done in short order. I've collected some video equipment and my brother to help me record my first track experience drifting. I'm expecting to get laughed at, but I'm just hoping they let me participate. I know they require your first time to have a ride along, a little nervous about that as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Added a cold air intake today and replaced a faulty coolant line. Runs better, sounds quieter, and gets a little more kick with the throttle. Nothing crazy, but the old short ram was pretty junk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my helmet. One less thing to get. The wheel bearing is going out on the front right tire...parts are ordered just waiting for that..I suspect they wont arrive until after drift day which means I'm gonna miss another track day....its always something.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So sadly I did miss the last track day waiting for parts. But after today she will have a new wheel bearing.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Added a cold air intake today and replaced a faulty coolant line. Runs better, sounds quieter, and gets a little more kick with the throttle. Nothing crazy, but the old short ram was pretty junk.

Nice mod. Any info about your intake?

·
Registered
1995 integra LS special edition
20 Posts
You still working on this build? I knew that someday id see someone turn a teggy into a drifter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. I drive it regularly. My driving needs to catch up to the car a little, but it's been a blast. Currently I've been working on testing cameras on the car so I can show my work, but its slow going, I'm learning editing software, figuring out mounts, testing different cameras. I want to post on youtube..but we shall see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@grolfo it's just a one piece aluminum cold air intake w/ individualized coolant/vacuum lines installed. I got it on amazon, it's nothing special..not sure the brand.

I'm not sure what the next mods will be. I'm still learning as a driver and it takes time to collect parts/$. Which is difficult given covid 19, I was really hoping to go to the track this year, but I dont feel confident enough drifting yet to go..I know it seems like a paradox...if I go, the idea is that I'll learn to drift faster/ more which is true except that if I go its certain I'm going to run into other drivers, most of which beleive I have no business being on a track drifting in some fwd monstrocity...so for my own self confidence I cannot let myself do something unless I'm sure I can do it. What I mean is that I can drift the car already, but I haven't tried transitions yet, and even when I get really good angles the recoveries look sketchy and not smooth. Also there's the problem of no support....what I mean by this issue is that I dont own a trailer, no friends enjoy my insanity, no one will go with me...so if I break down or crash the car...I wouldnt be able to get it home. So I will just have to let things progress naturally. If anyone out there lives in mn and is reading this...let's go drifting together!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts