Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I did a search and I didn't learn much about these.

I just know they do these at tune-ups, and usually badly adjusted valves can result in decreased performance.

What's involved in a valve adjustment?

The reason I ask, is because I have a ticking noise in my engine, and I know that COULD be a sign my valves need adjusting.

Now my last tune-up happened about a month ago - I had only exhaust. Since then I added a 4-2-1 header and CAI.

I noticed the ticking after I got my header.

I've never dyno'd the car or timed it at a track.
But the good ol' butt dyno says, the car feels no faster than when it was stock. Now I know I need a hi-flow cat and rid myself of other bottlenecks to take full advantage of my bolt-ons.
But heck, the CAI was the last thing to go in and heck it should have made the most noticeable difference right? (most butt-dyno'able difference).

Given that my valves were only adjusted about a month ago, and i since added header and intake - would it be a good idea to get a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
36 Posts
well did you reset your ecu after the upgrades? and i have no idea on the valve adjustments i have 93k on my car and im gettin use to the noise. hahaha

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you noticed the ticking after the header went on then it is most likly an exhaust leak. my valves tick but that is because i had them replaced and there have been problems with them. If i were you, i would replace your header gasket and check all of your bolts.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I reset the ECU and still no difference.

BTW - i forgot to mention it's a 2001.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Definitely if it's a ticking noise when you get on the throttle it's a leak near the primaries. Exhaust gasses exit in pulses and not as a continuous stream so the "ticking" is just the possitive pressure pulses forcing themselves out the leak. If you just got a tune-up I doubt you'll need another valve adjustment. It's definitely not related to resetting your ECU that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Speechless, It's the silver paint counting down. soon it will all explode in a raindow of color! or do you canuks say colour? or is that those brits... oh hell GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

btw, It's probably the exhaust. Betcha didn't think about THAT one huh?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone

That was very helpful. And yes it could very possibly be an exhaust leak. I suspected that too after my header went in because there was a slight hissing noise.
I'll check that out right away.

And yes Jacksont001, we say colour. We also say chocolate bar instead of candy bar, pop instead of soda.
And our webmaster's name is MorningZED, not MorningZEE...
ZED!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts