Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, well my brother decided to take my car from me for about 8 weeks. A couple weeks back he calls me up and says that the car seemed to lose power. He said he was just shifting from first to second and the power just dropped. Somehow i dont believe this. Dont ask why he took my car because im extremely pissed that he did in the first place. Anyway, I check the car out as soon as he got home today and there is definetly a major powerloss. I drive and i dont even feel vtec kicking in anymore. Redlining in first seems to take forever compared to what it used to be. I cant chirp into 2nd let alone third when i could do both before. I know my driving skills may be rusty but there is something definetly wrong with my integra. Someone please give me suggestions on how to fix this because im about to cry. Perhaps resetting the ecu?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well, if you're lucky, he smoked the clutch. If it's slipping, you will see a power loss.

Hopefully, he didn't do something to the engine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how could i tell if its the clutch? I dont think it is because it works fine shifting and all but just has a power loss.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well I'm not an engineer, but if the clutch is slipping, it will shift fine, but the engine and the transmission will not be mated properly anymore. So your engine is putting out power, but it is not reaching your wheels via the transmission.

Go to "How things work" for a better explanation than I can give.

I don't know if that is really your problem, but it seems like a possible one. Also, if someone is not familiar with your car - or a 5spd, it is easy to damage a clutch in relatively short time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know it is, and i dont put it past my brother cause he sucks at shifting. but even when i rev it in neutral, the rpms seem so much more sluggish going up. I mean im not even sure vtec is kicking in.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Is your car still under warranty? If no one else has a suggestion, it might be time to have a mechanic look at it. Then you don't have to wonder.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah, its still under warranty. Im thinking that its the only option i have. I just know the car wont preform at the level that it used to. I was in the process of buying a sh*tload of preformance parts for the car and now im just pissed and am thinking its useless.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Don't panic. It's a pain if its the clutch (cause it will be a few bucks), but it is very fixable and your car will be better than ever after you get a new one. Plus if it is the clutch, you might want to think about a heavy duty one if you are going to mod the car.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the clutch shouldnt play a role in how fast the car revs in neutral. I seriously hope its something that can be fixable.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also the engine maint light comes up at startup for 3 seconds. I know this happens at 8k miles or something but i already disengaged it for that mile marker. Im currently at 17k. Is there another marker?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
There's a 15K maintenance point. I usually beat the lights to maintenance, so you will have to check your manual to see when the light will engage.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey man don't panic. Your car is not ruined. Especially since to plan on upgrading the car with mods, you are definately going to run into situations like this somewhere along the way. I don't believe it is the clutch slipping since you said that it takes forever to redline in first. A slipping clutch would get you there in no time but without the car actually moving very fast. Take the simplist possible reasons and move to the more complex ones. If I were you I would check the oil level and condition first, cuz rememeber VTEC will not engage until there is enough oil psi, proper temp, speed, etc..I would fill up the tank with proper octane fuel, change the oil, check coolant level, check the air filter and reset the ECU. Then start looking at other things if that does not work. Loss of power is usually associated with loss of air flow or fuel flow, or bad spark. Good luck........

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that could possibly be it. oh well, perhaps a turbo will fix everything. Some technical help could help =(. Thx alot carcrazy, u calmed me down =).

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
think a new set of plugs and wires will help? I intend on checking all the fluid levels tommorrow as soon as i get home from school.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts