Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 SE keeps getting hot. I just replaced the thermostat switch, or whatever, and the thermostat because she was getting hot, that fixed it for about a couple weeks, and now she's getting hot. but not constantly. I drove for 45 min, stop and go and she was fine, then started getting hot when i was pulling into my driveway. I thought I hear something come from my tranny area but the RPM's are normal on the tac, and she shifts fine.
It's an auto, nothing special yet, getting ready though, but I need to fix this before I put every thing on her. I dont want to take it to a auto shop either, they always see the blonde hair and try to rip me off, any one know what it could be, just off the top of your head?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
First thing to do is check the level and condition of the coolant. When was the last time it was flushed? You said the thermostat was replaced and unless it was a faulty one thats not the problem. Make sure you have a 50/50 mix of coolant/water as well. Has the car thrown a code? Also where is the needle on the guage?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would the pressure check tell me, I know it's not leaking, I had it checked already when I did the thermostat, and the switch, just to make sure I didn't have to replace that too. are there any natorious heating/cooling prob's with the ls motors that any one knows about?

·
Registered
622 Posts
can be a lot of things. Check your radiator for leaks,drain and flush radiator fluid,replace radiator itself if its damaged,use right amount of coolant mixture w/ water. Dont know what else but a lot of t.i members can help you out.

double check thermostat sometimes you replace it and even if its new it can be defective.

check hoses from radiator and make sure they are clamped on right and tight

Thats all i can think of...

-lssoon2br

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In Reply To Version 4 User:
What would the pressure check tell me, I know it's not leaking, I had it checked already when I did the thermostat, and the switch, just to make sure I didn't have to replace that too. are there any natorious heating/cooling prob's with the ls motors that any one knows about?

It can tell you if the core is somewhat clogged depending on the amount of resistance...locally we have a shop that can rod them out but for double the price I could get a new one with lifetime warranty off of ebay so...but that's what a pressure check could tell you.

Later,

Jared

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Furious94LS on Feb/28/04 said:
First thing to do is check the level and condition of the coolant. When was the last time it was flushed? You said the thermostat was replaced and unless it was a faulty one thats not the problem. Make sure you have a 50/50 mix of coolant/water as well. Has the car thrown a code? Also where is the needle on the guage?
All the coolent is 50/50 always, and the gauge get almost 3/4 when i am stopped or going really slow. it was also flushed when I did the thermostat and switch. The level is good, there is still fluid in the reserve.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm, i think it is about time for a new timing belt, and i get about 26-30 mpg, but it doese have DOHC. how do you service a water pump, do you just replace it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
do you see any white smoke coming out of your muffler? or even a small trace of white smoke? If you do then it can be a gasket issue.. my gasket just blew on my LS clocking in @ 207,xxx mi. Changing the timing belt doesnt effect temp but at least keep your motor running good.. Come to think of it its time for me to do mines.

EDIT: in response to: WHAT GASKET??? i meant the head gasket

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In Reply To Version 4 User:
hmmm, i think it is about time for a new timing belt, and i get about 26-30 mpg, but it doese have DOHC. how do you service a water pump, do you just replace it? No how many miles are on your car...lol not mpg

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm...read the post fast, 140grand though. would the mpg have anything to do with it though? As far as the gaskets, what gaskets are you talking about, I am doing the valve cover gasket this weekend!?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sickbling on Feb/28/04 said:
check ur fans...make sure their turning on...
Thanks, you just gave me hope that it's not something expensive, i.e water pump. I'll put her in the shop in the morning and check 'er out.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Definitly make sure your cooling fan is turning on..Check the fuse for it and connectors on the fan itself...one fan is for cooling, the one on the passenger side and the other is for AC if you have it...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have ac and when i turn it on and the heat at the same time it seems toi help, I cant remember if it was turning on the whem i was checking her out though, what will it do if the fuse blows for it?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Ok check for the fan, then if your timing belt/water pump service has not been done, get it done. It should be replaced at 90K. Your timing belt has nothing to do with the overheating but the waterpump can. They do both since everything is apart down there. I believe the service at the dealer is around $400. I think thats what I paid.

But yes, make sure the fuse for the fan is ok and that it turns on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like Kriztah is having the same problem I am having:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=8&TopicID=81078

However, for me, it only happens after being on the highway and then slowing down to idle. During highway driving, the temp guage is dead center and stable. Then only when I slow down to a stop does the temp guage start going up. But this started to happen all of the sudden. Does this still mean that it could be the coolant not mixed right? Or is it the water pump? The problem is strange because when I drive it locally around town, the temperature guage is always stable at center. I just noticed this because I was doing alot of highway driving.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts