Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so long story short, I finally bought an integra. After fighting to get that damn crank pulley bolt for what seemed like days, I ran into another problem.

I know the tdc is supposed to be set with the belt on but when I crank COUNTER CLOCKWISE, the belt seems to get stuck.

It spins normal for half a turn, gets stuck, and then the belt seems to pop and then spin right after. I'll post a video. I am worried this popping is causing the cam gears to skip teeth or not when trying to set everything to tdc.

the last few seconds is basically me trying to re rotate it counter clock wise but it won't budge any further.

So I gave up and tried that yourmechanic mobile service in fear that I was messing up the timing. Problem is, the guy basically said he can't do anything cause I worked on it already. So now I'm basically stuck with the car already taken apart and it looks like im at a dead end for getting this thing up and running.

I watched a few videos, I looked up a bunch of forums posts, and it didn't look like to me that anyone was having the same weird crank issue.

Is the way it's locking up like in the video normal? Once I crank counter clockwise the belt tightens and it seems like no matter how much force I put on it it won't crank any further in that direction.

I was looking for ways to set tdc without the belt on, but trying to get confirmation on if it's the right way or not without messing up the valves seems hard to find. I found one video of setting tdc without the belt but all the comments say not to do it that way and the video should be taken down because it can mess up your valves doing them that way.

So I'm basically on wits end with what to do. I've been sitting with this thing for like almost three weeks and feel like I'm getting no where.
Anyone with any advice on how to go about getting this fixed without busting up my engine? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well just from watching your video, youre trying to turn your crank with the cams out of phase. The poping to me looks like one cam is letting go (getting over the lobe and then falling) while the other cam gear is in a different phase, (either just making contact with a lobe or is past the contact patch). Personally I would just take the top of the timing belt off the cam gears and then set the cam gears to be in line (both up markers pointing up and the two slits in the cam gears aligned, then get your crank inline, then put the timing belt back on and then start turning your crank counterclockwise. I think this all has to do with stuff not being lined up before you start turning your car over...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so just to confirm before I accidentally do something wrong,

• Take off the top of the belt
  • Turn the intake and exhaust cam gears by hand until tdc points up and the slits on the sides align
  • Turn the crank shaft through the bolt until the gear line aligns with the oil pan/timing belt plastic cover
  • Put the belt back on then crank counter clockwise to confirm everything is still in time and that everything religns up?
Lining it up without the belt won't mess it up? Should I try to line it up as close as possible before taking the belt off?

Also, my brother took a look at it, and the belt seems to tighten super tight when cranking until stuck, pop, and then loosen when cranking. When tight, the belt looks like it's sitting in the gears at an angle. Could this be that the tensioner pulley is too tight?

Thanks again man, I really appreciate it, just trying to confirm,I have like next to zero experience working on cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You betcha, have a look at this
That videos pretty good, very clear and shows the engine very well.
For your question about the tensioner, that shouldn't be tight at all. Get it as loose as you can without it falling off, that will be one of the last things you tighten.
Adjusting your cams without the belt on is fine, just use a 14mm wrench if I remember right could be a 17mm, and just rotate the cams to get them close to where you need them, when it comes time to put the belt back on, you're going to have to put the belt on one of the cam gears then use the wrench to adjust the other cam gear into place and slide it over. The video shows better than me explaining off the top of my head, but just slow down, do your research and remember, measure 2 twice and cut once haha. Youtube is your friend, tons of info out there for yea just gotta go looking.
Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions ill gladly lend a hand!
Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
outlaw001
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing