Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 SE model which has an LS non-vetc engine. It is turbocharged and the turbo is leaking oil at high RPM. But if you just daily driven then it is ok. The turbo setup was not a kit. It was just being put together pieces by pieces. It have a rev-hard header, T3/T4 turbo, sparco intercooler,extneral wastegate, and blitz blow off. It have a inline fuel pump with stock injector, rail, and regulator. The wastegate was set to 8 psi boost. Is this too much for the stock items? Did this cause the turbo to leaks or what? Can I fixed the leak myself or do I need a new turbo. It is leaking right in the middle of the turbo.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Right in the middle of the turbo would be where the oil inlet and outlet to the turbo is. I would remove the turbo from the car and take a look at both of the inlet/outlet flanges to see if tere are any gaps that would allow leaking. Also, make sure you have gaskets between the flanges and the turbo itself in order to seal things properly. You can try changing the gaskets, even getting little thicker ones.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
depending on how long you have had your turbo, you may need a rebuild on it. it will replace the oil seals.
but always look for easy things first. like loose oil fittings

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean Donnie4p? When you say inlet and outlet flange, are you talking about the turbo and the housing. It is not leaking by the housing but by the compressor, it leaking by the 5 bolts that connect the compressor to the oil inlet.I have tried to take it off, but it was really tight and I didn't wanted to mess up the turbo by forcing it apart. Are turbo this hard to come apart or do it just slide right off. Where are the gasket on the turbo? Where would the gasket be located and where can I get new ones and how much would it cost me for it. What are the changes of me messing up the turbo by taking it apart. I was thinking puting the turbo from my 1987 toyota surpa in the integra. The turbo is T26 I think. Will it be compatible with this setup I have.

Anyone who has experience taking turbo apart and puting turbo back on, feel free to tell the steps.

The turbo was on the cars when I bought it from the previous owner.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
in that case your oil seal is bad. that means you will need to remove it from the car, and send it out to be rebuilt. a leaky turbo is not somthing you want to be driving around on

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Correct Styleteggsr. Unless you are fully qualified to install a rebuild kit, have a testing machine to test it at over 180,000 RPMS. (Not a typo), I'd have it professionally rebuilt. That is the safest way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks a lots for all the advices. Since my turbo is bad, how hard would it be to set it back to stock. I mean taking the whole turbo setup out and put the stock setup back into the car. Cause I need a car and I wanted it to be daily driven. What do I have to plug up???

Someone have told me that I could leave the turbo setup in, but buy a digital boost controller and set it to high rpm boost only, for example setting it to boost at 6,000 rpm instead of 3,000 rpm. So unless I raced, there is no reason for me hit such a high rpm. Since I shift at and around 3,000 to 4,000 rpm on a normal driving basic.If I don't hit high rpm, the oils won't or shouldn't leak at all cause the turbo is not boosting and it is not under pressure.

So would this be true???

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
you can't really chose were the boost will hit. the boost controler can not open the wastegate spring before yuo start to get boost. you can start spooling at 3,000rpm and fully spool at 4,000, and still rev over 4,000 rpm without ever seeing boost. all you need to do it give it less throttle, the car will produce less exhaust gasses adn the turbo will not spool.
all you need to do is take the turbo out, that will take a few hours. send it out and for $200 you can get it rebuilt and as good as new. put it back on and you will have no more problems with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.