Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if this is gonna be in the right thread(move it if necc) anyways.... i just bought some all clear taillights and i plan on smoking them(except the reverse) but i was lookin at them and thought it might be cool to switch the turn signal and reverse lights or possibly rewiring them so that they each light up when using my turn signal(like the front corners) and when in reverse. any comments or other ideas are more than welcome

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
you might want to check your state to see if clear taillights are allowed. The law usually says you have to have a red reflector at the very least. Look at the new RX lexus's, i don't know how their taillights work but there is a red reflector somewhere on the back of the car. I dont' even know the texas law of the top of my head.

I've never seen a car with smoked clear taillights... so you get uniqueness points in my book, but i don't think i like the idea.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only reason i bought clear ones is cuz i dont wanna f*ck my oem ones first, i actually planned on puttin a couple coats of red on before the black to give it a reddish tint

edit: i dont plan on paintin till its nicer out so i got some time

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what if i took the assembly apart and painted the reflector with a few coats of red, both the side marker and on the taillight/brake light, then a few coats of red on the assembly then black on top of that? you think that might turn out alright as far as giving off a red reflection

·
Registered
931 Posts
i like the idea of switching your reverse lights and turns! i might have to try that and figure it out! it shouldnt be too hard, but it might requier extra wire to reach the sockets or something more involved... we will see!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
As for the tint: I just tinted my tails the other day, (OEM 98+) I used NiteShades, 3 coats. I didn't, however, cover the brake and turn lenses, because I don't have the $$ for tickets, or the time for court dates.

I just layed clear packing tape over the housings, then trimmed it at the lenses, and sprayed. Looks sorta like 94-97 tails, but without the amber turn lenses, and with tinted reverse lenses (I upgraded to a 50 watt bulb for the reverse lights - most autopart stores carry them, $2-3 each, they're designed for foglights, so they'll probably be in that section.)
Edit:
They look something like this:

Re-Edit: Pics!

As for going from clear to red - try Testors transparent red model tailight spray, then go over it with the NiteShades, right on the surface of the lense should be fine. Top it off with a few layers of clear coat, and it should look fine. Check the article section under 'Projects,' look for the 'Painting Taillights' thread for a pic of how it may look after just the red.

As for the swap, I did that while the lights were out, as well. For info on how to do this, click me!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The switching of the lights would be the movement of the sockets to their new "appropriate" locations.

I just replaced a bulb the other day, and as I remember...they have a different socket size in the back of the tailight housing...nothing a razorblade and some elbow grease can't fix.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my ideaas far as look is concerned

i was talkin to this guy at work today and he suggested adding a relay to make both light up when in reverse and when using my turn signal. im probably gonna ask my cousin who is an electrician to help with the wiring part of this.

how hard is it to take the assembly apart cuz im concerned bout gettin a bullshit ticket for not havin a red reflector like hpracing said.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
hpracing007 on Jan/20/06 said:
you might want to check your state to see if clear taillights are allowed. The law usually says you have to have a red reflector at the very least. Look at the new RX lexus's, i don't know how their taillights work but there is a red reflector somewhere on the back of the car. I dont' even know the texas law of the top of my head.

I've never seen a car with smoked clear taillights... so you get uniqueness points in my book, but i don't think i like the idea.

yes, you need a red reflector.. the RX has it embedded on the bottom of the bumper..

~P2P

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats why i wanna take the assembly apart and paint the reflectors red, the put everything back together and add a couple coats over the whole casing then smoke it

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
yeah, that'd be tight..

I believe reverse also has to be clear/white.. for some of the Acura's and 'Vettes you may ask, that's why they're also embedded within the rear portion of the passenger vehicle as well..

~P2P

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was gonna leave the reverse and turn signals clear and use silverstar bulbs anyways and red led bulbs for the tails/brake lights and a red led bulb for the side marker

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
lol, okay Noah, I have read your intentions =P, I was just stating about how other vehicles with all red or all clear tail lamp assemblies and how they pass inspection.

I'm very eager to see it, however, (=

~P2P

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it wont be done any time soon, the weather is jus too ****ty here still and i never get a day off work to do it anyways. ill be sure to get some pics up when its all finished though.

is there an article or does anybody have directions on takin the assembly apart?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.