Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used Mobil 1 5w30 for about 2500 miles and the oil pan gasket started to leak. With the Honda motor oil I had no issues. SO I plan on switching back to my Honda 10w30 for the summer. Are there any other steps I need to take(besides a normal oil change) when switching from a synthetic oil to dino? Should I change my dino oil sooner perhaps at 1000 next time instead of my 3000 to eliminate the tiny amount of synthetic left behind? In hopes of flushing out what was left behind. Feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't think your leakage was caused by the oil type you used. Your car is a 94 LS, not exactly young

As far as switching oils, you can get cheap non-synthetic oil and run your engine for 20 mins with that, then change to Honda 10w30.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have a feeling that it did. Its more than mere coincidence that oil pan gasket started leaking when I switched to Mobil 1. I am going through about 1 quart a week. Where as with my Honda oil..rarely had to top it off. So something is going on. But thanks for the feedback Nic.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
there's no issues.

in the old days when the synthetic oils never had seal swellers in their additives packages people used to run into oil loss issues when switching from dino to synthetic late in the game.

This NO LoNGER applies since seal swellers are available but gets perpetuated on the honda boards by people listening to their dad's experiences in domestics in the "old days".

Myths to deprogram.

since you're going the other way, you shouldn't run into problems going the opposite way.

You probably should change more frequently compared to the synthetic but that can be confirmed by doing an oil analysis of your current synthetic (note the change interval) and then sending your dino oil for analysis after the same interval for objective comparison.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think your oil pan gasket starting to leak is more linked to the age of your car than the synthetic motor oil.

MD does a good job of dispelling myths.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I have a 1994 LS too. My first few oil changes were with regular oil. I rarely had to top it off between oil change intervals, if at all. This was at around 60k - 70k. I'm assuming that the first owner used regular oil up until then...

Since then, I switched to synthetic and had to top off my oil several times between oil change intervals. I, on the other hand was determined to use synthetic. So, I went through an assortment of gasket replacements from my journey from ~70k to almost twice that now. I replaced the valve cover gasket, the cam seal/plug, and recently the oil pan gasket. Every time I replaced something, it improved little by little, but nothing was as evident as changing out the oil pan gasket. I am losing alot less oil now, well slower anyway.

I've also had my coolant tested with some tester at the mechanic to see if there is any oil mixing with it, but there were no signs of that, so I'm thinking my headgasket is still okay. I also keep my PCV valve pretty fresh.

I've replaced just about "I" can, but it still seems to lose a bit a oil... so after a leakdown test, I'll probably find out my rings are worn... I've never found oil spots under my car, so it must be eating it.

I've always noticed that my car loses oil more rapidly on 1 hour+ drives on the highway opposed to stop and go. Are you seeing these types of symptoms too?

If you go back to dino, and you're still losing oil, isn't it going to drive you mad? Whatever you do, keep us posted. Many on this forum lose oil... then there are those that claim they never lose a drop.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
John, you may just be experiencing normal oil consumption. on a 3,000 change interval how much oil do you add?

As for the original poster, as MD has stated you should have no problems at all going back to dino. I would say go under the car and snug up the oil pan bolts if any are loose.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i just put in a synthetic high milage oil for my car (147K miles) and it seems to work fine no problems at all mabey you just need a new gasket or something.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I dont see any advantage for me to go synthetic at 150,000 miles. Whatever damage the previous owner as done is done. I know she used that Jiffy Lube express oil changes b/c I found the receipts in the car. I am sure that there is some internal damage. I am not too concerned with finding the my leaks etc. b/c I am plan on doing an engine swap. I actually started to smell oil burning one day after a long drive(shortly after oil change to synthetic). As time progressed I checked the my oil level I had to add an entire quart. Now this was Mobil 1 5w30. Originally the car was getting 10w30 dino. I couldnt find the leak in the engine bay so decided to jack the car up. I check the oil pan and theres fresh oil seeping out of the gasket. And the burning smell I assume was from the oil hitting the hot manifold and burning off. I never found oil spots in my parking space.
I think it has alot to do with how the car was treated before we bought it. Some ppl were very lucky to buy from ppl who took very good care of their investment, which is what I consider my teg. In the last few days I switched to Mobil 1 10w30 and it seems like I have not lost any oil, but I think thats all in my head. Actually I am getting my oil pan gasket replaced at a Honda TEchs shop and I will let you guys know what I find out. I am gonna switch back to Honda dino and see what happens.Thanks guys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Synthetic gets very thin when the engine gets hot doesnt work well with some cars I had a toyota before I switched to synthetic it used a quart every 3000 after I switched it got thirsty used a quart every 1000 Regular oil is very good nowdays. Synthetic oil was originaly developed for alaska when they where building the pipeline in the winter they had trouble starting there trucks

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Furious94LS on Mar/22/04 said:
John, you may just be experiencing normal oil consumption. on a 3,000 change interval how much oil do you add?
Mine was definitely not "normal." I probably used atleast 1 quart a month depending on how much on the type of driving (stop & go, highway, high rev, etc). Here is a good example. If I drive to LI to visit my friends, I drive a little bit over 200 miles. It sits there for the time I'm there, and when I check the oil before I leave for Boston, I need anywhere from 1/2 - 1 Quart of oil.

After the oil pan gasket replacement, I've put in 1/2 quart in about 3 weeks now...

So far so good...

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Considering all of your seals are dry, about 1 to 1.5 quarts per 3,000 is normal.

My GSR takes about .5 per change interval of 2,500 miles. I have a few different driving conditions. Normal, moderate, HARD =)

Also its not that the car needs the oil, but I like to keep it at the second dot.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Whoa.... my 1999 LS uses ZERO oil and I run a 7,500 mile interval on Mobil-1 5W30. And I've got 120,000 miles

Granted, I'm a pretty easy-going driver, but seems unusual mine isn't consuming any oil.

I changed every seal and gasket at 105,000 miles, but there was no oil consumption even leading up to that.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Mar/23/04 said:
Am I the only person on here who doesn't have an engine that is oil-thirsty? LOL
I can second, and third that actually....My GSR never used a drop of oil, my R never uses a drop of oil, and my Accord with 247k never uses a drop of oil.

I check both of my cars at least once a week.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
My auto LS does not require me to add any oil either, but thats mostly because the car is not driven as hard and shifts lower. Manual tranny cars spend more time at higher revs. My LS has 190k on original seals besides the oil pan gasket.

Maintence habbits play a big role as well. I am not the original owner of my GSR, but I like to change my dino oil at 2,500 mile intervals. I like to keep it at the second dot at all times and that requires me to add 1/2 quart between the changes. It is normal for engines to use oil.

Some use more than others and most auto tegs that are driven reasonably do not require adding oil. 7,500 is really good if you don't have to add any.

Have you had your oil tested to see if that drain interval is safe?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts