Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the strut bars, lower tie bar, coilover system, camber kit and 15's. now i need some sway bars and my suspension should be finished now. what kind of sway bars are good? i was planning to get the eibach sway bars. does anyone have them? are they good? any suggestions anyone? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I dont know much about those but I hear if you get the type R kit its great since its build for the TEG... I was personaly planning on the Skunk2 sway, Its the only bar I was able to find the thickness of 21mm thats 1mm short of a type R so I'm anticipating a great increase in handeling

·
Registered
354 Posts
im going with the comptech its gaurunteed not to rip out. and comes with a lower rear tie bar. that its mounts too. ive heard lots of good things about this bar and it is adjustable to be stiffer the same or softer than the type r sway bar

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
TopNotchR on Sep/11/02 said:
the thicker the better, IMO. i have a 26mm mugen sway bar...really nice!!!
I'm gonna have to diagree w/ you on this statement.
Thicker is not always better. Balance is better.

I beleive that Eibach make front and rear bars......do you really want a front bar? Do know what the affects of upsizing each bar will have on handling? If you do, then yippee. If not take a minute or three and read Surfer's article on swaybars in our articles section.

cut and pasted from a previous post
The question that you need to ask yourself is: "Why am I getting a larger/stiffer front sway bar?" A thicker front swaybar will induce more understeer, a quality that most owners try to eliminate. Are you autocrossing? Is the car strictly street driven? Don't just buy a bigger swaybar because "its stiffer....so it must be better" That isn't always the case. It depends on the application. Just like any other upgrade to your car, you should tailor the mods to match your expectations for the cars duties.

As most people on this board do not competively race their cars on an autocross course or track course, I'm assuming that these suspension upgrades are just to enhance the everyday handling of the car. If this is the case, here is my humble $.02 for a daily driven (read: non-track car) integra:

Rear swaybar-the largest rear swaybar that you consider would be the standard 22mm (oem itr, comptech, skunk2, etc.) 23mm at the very most. The only 23mm bar that I am aware of is the factory rear swaybar on the japanese spec integra.
Front swaybar-the largest front swaybar that I would recommend is 24mm. Either the LS 22mm or gsr 24mm front swaybar will complement the common oem itr rear swaybar upgrade.

Remember that balanced handling is the name of the game. Bigger isn't alway better! You don't want too much oversteer or understeer.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
on a Type R though with a 24mm ball-joint type front sway bar, it's not overkilling it too bad to run the Mugen 26mm rear. I've been told by a competitive wheel to wheel Integra track driver that the ball-joint connection alone on the Type R makes the 24mm front bar about 40% stiffer than the GS-R's 24mm front sway bar.

Given the front was using the same connection as the rear it would equal the stiffness near a 26mm bar for the front. (26/24)^4= 137% Maybe Mugen knew a little more about sizing that rear sway bar for the Type R than they have cared to admit.

Of course I'd still like to have the 26mm front sway bar for street purposes, the track is different. But if you have the spring rates compliment a hard bar like that you can run a thicker rear without creating too much oversteer. The over/understeer stuff is caused by weight transfer to either the rear or front of the car. If you have hard spring rates to begin with that weight transfer is minimized.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if there's not much of a price difference between the sway bar sizes then i'd go thicker. since you have the coilovers, you can manage the effects of it.

i have apexi n1 coilovers and the 26mm rear sway and i've driven my car with understeer and oversteer. i'm driving with the maxiumum amount of oversteer right now and it's a weird feeling to be able to control your turning angle with the throttle. i autoX'd on it also.(just to be safe: i'm not responsible for how you set your car up. if you want oversteer and you get into a "situation", please don't blame me.)

i asked king motorsports about the front sway bar, when i ordered my rear sway, and they told me not to get a front one because it'll cancel the effects of the rear.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Surf, I was under the impression that the R used the same ball joints as the gsr bar.
(PS: I'm sending you those endlink pics today that I told you about. Can you compare the geeser endlink to your R endlink...I'm curious to see if they are different)

"But if you have the spring rates compliment a hard bar like that you can run a thicker rear without creating too much oversteer. The over/understeer stuff is caused by weight transfer to either the rear or front of the car. If you have hard spring rates to begin with that weight transfer is minimized. "

Can you elaborate on this. Just what type of spring rates are we talking here? 300? 350? 375+? In your opinion, is the Mugen 26mm rear paired w/ a ball joint 24mm front streetable? I have no doubt that its kick ass for the track but I thought that it wouldn't be a very good setup for a daily driver (non-track car).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
danks for the inputs guys but none of you answered my question yet. how about the EIBACH sway bars? does anyone have them? are they any good? thanks

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
In my opinion the EIBACH kit is mismatched for inducing a little more oversteer (which is what most people want when they swap sway bars). 27mm upfront w/ an adjustable 21mm bar in the back. The large 27mm front swaybar is going to hinder the car's ability to rotate in a turn. However I do like the fact that the rear bar is adjustable....its a nice plus. Eibach makes quality products and I'm sure that their anti-roll kit is constructed well like their other products. But if you want the car to rotate better I don't think that this kit (front & back) is for you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i believe that the front bars are 22mm and the rear bars are 17mm. and i have a LS, i think it's 22mm in the front OEM and 13.9mm in the rear OEM. correct me if i'm wrong. also, since there's such little diameter difference, will it help at all? how about the material that eibach uses? will that help. i used to have their sportline springs and i was really impressed with the quality of those springs. that's actually why i'm considering the eibach sways. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i meant to say that the EIBACH's are 22mm in the front and 17mm in the rear. sorry if i confused you surfer. and the OEM bars are 22mm in the front and 12.9 in the rear. wat i really wanted to know is that since the front bars are the same diameter, will it make a difference? maybe eibach uses a better material in the bars? and the rear of the eibachs use a larger bar than the OEM ones. will that make much of a difference with the EIBACH bars? thanks!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Well according to the Eibach website....the anti-roll kit which consists of a front and rear swaybars is 27mm in front and 21mm in back as I previously stated.
Your statement about the oem specs is correct.
The front bars aren't the same diameter and will cause big-time understeer. The rear is a good match when complemented w/ the oem LS(22mm) or GSR(24mm) front swaybar.

The only thing that I am not 100% sure of is if Eibach uses polyurethane or rubber bushings. Also, if I remember correctly Eibach's rear bar uses a ball-joint mount on the endlink which is superior to the oem LS and GSR endlink mounting hardware.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
All the G3 LS's came w/ front and rear sway bars.

Guys, again....all these oem specs are in the both the swaybar article and general info. article in the articles section.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts