Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Well for some dumb reasons my car came with the 94-97 steering wheel and I want to upgrade. How will I properly install a new steering wheel using my original airbag?

I basically got these info

1- disconnect battery
2- wait 10 mins
3- pull fuse for srs from the fuse box inside the car
4- remove steering wheel

But that doesnt seem too safe, if its not safe then I dont want to do it so if anyone has any tips that would be great, thanks

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Honestly unless your very mechanically inclined or familiar with the SRS system I would leave it up to the Acura dealer. Get the parts yourself and have them do it.

I don't have any other tips for you. lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well if you do get the steering wheel off, I recommend going into wide open field, and I mean wiiidddee open field and setting that baby off(just the actual airbag). My best friend out west did that and said it was awesome, thing flew into the sky. But make sure your far away too.

·
Registered
789 Posts
one of the reasons I wouldnt take out my dash was that I didnt want to fight with 2 airbags because I would definately lose that one

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol yeah I guess I might not want to do this anymore, rather be safe then sorry I guess, kinda leaning towards a No, but if anyone else has any other opinion it might help me.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Sounds like your car was in an accident if it has the wrong steering wheel...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
There nothing overly dangerous about taking the airbags out, so long as power from the battery is disconnected. Then, when you have the airbag out, treat it very gently.

I don't quite understand... you want to keep the airbag you have now, but put on a newer steering wheel, or the other way around? Just incase you don't know, the "A" emblem or word "ACURA" is a permanant part of the airbag. if you're going for the "A" you'll have to get an airbag with one on it.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JustinKlemgold on Mar/10/04 said:
Sounds like your car was in an accident if it has the wrong steering wheel...
No the original owner liked the older style with NO leather steering wheel warp

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pythonscott on Mar/10/04 said:
There nothing overly dangerous about taking the airbags out, so long as power from the battery is disconnected. Then, when you have the airbag out, treat it very gently.

I don't quite understand... you want to keep the airbag you have now, but put on a newer steering wheel, or the other way around? Just incase you don't know, the "A" emblem or word "ACURA" is a permanant part of the airbag. if you're going for the "A" you'll have to get an airbag with one on it.
ahh...man that sucks, ok nevermind then lol, thanks for letting me know, next time around I'll try to find a steering wheel with the airbag so it'll save me time, effort and have the A symbol

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Glad to help.

before my current steering wheel set up I did what the 2 guys above me suggested and got the the leather wrap from the dealer. Mmmmmm... it made the steering wheel much better! I believe it ran around $65 at the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts