Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a jackson sc and the belt has come off. it came off when i was dyno'ing last weekend. the guys there helped me put it back on however it came back off.

i just want to make sure that it's doing no harm driving around with it not being on. i plan on putting on either a 10 or 12 psi belt on.... i think that's how it works at least? by changing the belt size it changes the amount of psi it forces in? an 8 lbs was on it before and the guys that helped me put it back on while on the dyno said it was old / worn belt. i have a couple more belts that i'm not sure how to put on however i think i'll be able to with some help. i have an lht intercooler so is it safe to be pushing 10 or 12 lbs with a completely stock engine?

anything else that seems like it should be addressed here plz ask since i'm sick, a noob in forced induction, and in a rush.

thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Changing the belt does not change the psi. The psi determined by the size crank pully you are using. The larger the crank pulley the greater the speed ratio between crank and the sc and the more boost you will make. With a larger pulley you need a larger belt. But changing the belt to a higher psi belt will only make it more prone to coming off again.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
old stretched belt will cause slippage and make you loss PSI. However as said, the actual PSI is determined by pulley size, not belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
juce on Sep/30/07 said:
Changing the belt does not change the psi. The psi determined by the size crank pully you are using. The larger the crank pulley the greater the speed ratio between crank and the sc and the more boost you will make. With a larger pulley you need a larger belt. But changing the belt to a higher psi belt will only make it more prone to coming off again.
i thought the supercharger pulley changed the psi not the crank pulley

·
Registered
800 Posts
As mentioned before the belt has nothing to do with it although I do wonder how your tightening it. If you want more boost you'll have to change the pulley to I believe a crv pulley. Mine never came off and I changed it 3-4 times due to one breaking and just regualr interval maintainance. I had a 98 supercharged gsr.

Make sure you have the right tension on the belt before you tighten everything up and also make sure all the "teeth" are on correctly. Having one off on either side can possibly make it jump up if you're running your car hard. Shouldn't take more than 20-30 mins to change it.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
briancamany on Oct/01/07 said:
Quote: juce on Sep/30/07Changing the belt does not change the psi. The psi determined by the size crank pully you are using. The larger the crank pulley the greater the speed ratio between crank and the sc and the more boost you will make. With a larger pulley you need a larger belt. But changing the belt to a higher psi belt will only make it more prone to coming off again.

i thought the supercharger pulley changed the psi not the crank pulley

Anything that changes the ratio between the 3 driven pulleys is what changes the PSI. Crank, Alternator (stepper), or SC pulley.

Think of a 18 speed bicycle. It doesn't matter if you change one of the front or rear gears, the ratio will change. every combination is different.

·
Registered
447 Posts
also, psi safety has nothing to do with an intercooler. please do a lot of research before you make such drastic changes to your setup... also, how is your ecu set up? if you have it tuned to say 8psi and have no boost now, you will probably be running very rich, and you will need a tune after you change to a higher psi otherwise you will run very lean and probably blow your motor.

please. research.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If Your mechanic friend told you that the belt looked old and or worn you should change it plus its not that much money to do so anyway, and as for it being bad for it i am not 100% but i am guessing you know how superchargers work 2 rollers crush gas and air molecules together so its more combustable and then forcing it in the engine thus creating more hp if the supercharger belt is off its obviously not turning and i would think that its struggling to get air due to the 2 rollers being pushed together so tight, did you notice if the car was struggling at all when it was off? Correct me if i am wrong guys but i am not and expert with jrsc's but i have had experience with other superchargers. Hope i helped somewhat.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: I can't believe that you have a somewhat extravagant setup that you don't know anything about.
haha yeahhh i try to do more research into it when i can however it is all so complicated it seems. i purchased the car used with all the performance work done already.

if it's complicated and would require a retune to change the psi i think i will just leave it at 8psi. as far as replacing a belt do i just go to an autozone and tell them i need an 8psi belt for a jackson sc and they'll know or what?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Tranceaddict87 on Oct/02/07 said:
Quote: I can't believe that you have a somewhat extravagant setup that you don't know anything about.
[/i]haha yeahhh i try to do more research into it when i can however it is all so complicated it seems. i purchased the car used with all the performance work done already.

if it's complicated and would require a retune to change the psi i think i will just leave it at 8psi. as far as replacing a belt do i just go to an autozone and tell them i need an 8psi belt for a jackson sc and they'll know or what?

NO. You need the original to have the size and part number on it so they can cross refference it. If you tell them its for a SC, they'll be like, "what, that year model doesn't come with a SC?"

Trust me, they are not the smartest people. Either that or search for a list of belt sizes that has been posted before on here. I'd get a spare one while I'm at it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as far as the supercharger i'm very happy with it. granted i have never driven this car without it and it's modified performance side of the vehicle... i wouldn't have it any other way.

i asked the previous owner and he included and extra belt that's the correct size. i just need to try and put it on with some ppl that know what they're doing.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Its just a belt. If you know how to put on any other belt (a/c, p/s, alternator) then its not a problem.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a buddy and i tried to change the belt which i have come to know the belt we're replacing is the blower belt. we can not figure out how to get, what i believe, the alternator belt off in order to get to the blower belt. any ideas?

thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.