Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading the articles im a bit more convinced that i should try and get myself a supercharger for my itr. i read the articles on intercooling as well and saw that with a turbocharged car... an intercooler lets you safely boost an extra 3-4 psi because of the temp. is this also true with a supercharger? what type of benifits would i get with putting an intercooler on my car with it being supercharged at 5.5psi? what is the downfall to it?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok anyone please correct me if i'm wrong but you can only use an intercooler like on a turbo'd car if the supercharger is a centrifrugal type. If it is the roots/jackson racing type then I think you have to use that water to air intercooler made by a company that I can't remember right now.

Another option For cooling boost would be one of the systems made by Snow performance. I'm gaining a little interest in this since my Senior Design Project is being sponsored/funded by them.

But overall it is always a cood Idea to cool boost.

Sorry but I am also still learning on the subject and may have left some things out. Anyone feel free to add/correct me.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
correct, the jackson racing/roots blower can be adapted with an air-water intercooler, made by LHT. costs about 1k+.

on the stock boost level, you probably would not gain a lot of power out of intercooling it to make it worth the cost, IMO. However, if you plan to raise the boost to 7 to 10 PSI, the intercooler is strongly recommended. the roots blower starts losing efficiency rapidly as you approach 10psi and will start to put out more heat than power, so for higher boosts intercooling is a good idea to lower intake temps and get more power.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can´t find what im looking for using the search option, or the articles.. please help me with more in depth info if you can, thanks a lot, as well as thanks to spets and slv_dc_teg

·
Registered
912 Posts
Actually, you can use an air to air intercooler on a JRSC. I spent my summer internship working for a company that builds charge air coolers (intercoolers) for turbo diesels. A few of the guys there helped me draw up some designs for an A-A intercooler for my JRSC gsr. I would tell you guys more, but it's patent pending...

EDIT: But to the OP, yes you can do it. It just hasn't been done yet. If you wait a few years, you'll see them on the market. True the LHT will work, but it's SUPER expensive, and isn't as effiecient. I run 7 pounds with (and I will humbly admit) not that great of a tune, and other than running a little rich I'm not really having any problems. IMO, get the JRSC. You'll love the instant power. Then just wait for an A-A cooler, or go water injection if so inclined. Just make sure you've got something reliable, like a standalone, to tune it all together. Because if you tune for w-i and then it fails...BOOM

·
Registered
330 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

hmmm...how long did you say this is going to take to come out? I'm actually involved in upgrading a chemical intercooler that is currently on the market, i was going to look into that, but yours sounds much better!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Putting an air to air intercooler before a roots blower would be about as effective as using a cold air intake with a roots blower, or turbocharger. An air to air intercooler cannot decrease the charge temps any more than ambient. Also, if you think of a turbocharger, it adds heat twice- once from direct contact with the charge air, and twice due to the ideal gas law (compression of air). once the air moves past the turbo (or blower) is where all of the heat is that needs to be extracted lies.

Now if you're talking about either:
A. mounting the blower somewhere else or
B. just doing some serious fabbing to get the pressurized air straight out the blower, into charge pipes, to a FMIC

Then you've got something. But otherwise, an air-to-air intercooler before a turbocharger, centrifugal blower, or roots blower is an absolute waste.

Also, for the 900th time, even though no one does it, you can use a small turbo and achieve the same if not better off idle response that you achieve with the JRSC.
See this thread.

...makes me want to buy a super60 just to prove that it can be done...again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.