Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 99 gsr with i/h/e, everything else stock. i was thinkin about the possibility of getting a supercharger in the next 1-2 years, (takes time to make the money) yes, i know turbo is way bette, but im just lookin for a bad street car, my friends are real into trubo, but i want something with less maintenance cuz im kind of a dumb ass, anyway my question finally is whats the lifespan and reliability of a used sc? and are there that many upgrades or really expensive grades involved with a bolt on sc?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Lifespan? Different for every car. People drive differently. People maintain their cars differently. Depends how the engine was broken in. Oil changes? Different engines age differently...

Reliability? Better than turbo for the most part. Upgrades? No, you can run 8 PSI without upgrading the internals. You should, however, upgrade your fuel delivery system.

Have you read the article about supercharging on this site? Thats a great place to start.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Vortech and Jackson both come with all the fuel system upgrades required to run safely. New pump etc.... Also the Jackson Racing supercharger has a 100,000 mile warranty, but I'm not sure of the details, obviously if you blow up your engine you're screwed, but you may get a new super charger!!!!

Drew

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
www.modacar.com has it for relatively cheap, and they don't rape you on shipping.

JRSC's warranty is 2 year, 100k miles, and it doesn't cover the instal. it basically covers the blower itself, and problems in the casting of the manifold. if your car blows up, you can take that up with the installer.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
just make sure you have an upgraded fuel pump (holley 190-195 good enough), at least 310 cc injectors (RC is the best) and some type of fuel control system like a Vafc by apexi ( although its not the absolute best its more than plenty) also a fuel pressure regulator like an aem or B&M --- you dont have to worry about oil changes on the life of a JRSC because everything is internal unlike the vortech-- jrsc is easier and you get off the line power at all rpm's -- with a vortech you have more maintenance like a turbo AND it uses oil like a turbo---
i did a lot of homework on this stuff--
if your friends are into turbos ask them they should be pretty knowledged

·
Registered
409 Posts
I can tell you the setup that I had on my supercharger GSR which ran very good and healthy before I got rid of it to get the R. I had The Jackson Racing SuperCharger running at 10 PSI with the 97 Honda CRV Crank Pulley. Jackson Racing NGK Spark Plugs, Jackson Racing Thermostat, Retard timing set at 10, Jackson Racing Fuel Pump. The kit comes with the FMU where you can adjust the fuel level for delivery. Other than that, it works fine with your stock internals. Besides all these upgrades, most reconmended upgrade is a performance aftermarket clutch. I highly advised that!! Short Ram intake works best witht the system.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Just turbo, not superchargers garyod40

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
yes/no gary --- blow off valves and wastegates typically do not work with SC but now vortech came in and screwed that all up---- roots type SC do not need a blow off valve(BOV) or wastegate because boost is throttle dependant but with the centrifugal type charger of the vortech you can now use these with the SC

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you run the JRSC.
Fuel pump walbro 255, Upgraded clutch, mount inserts or solid motor mount, (FP, boost) guage inside of the car. And a map mod. With these you shouldn't ever see a problem. Motorvation Motorsports sells them and is very knowlegable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts