Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the tanabe super medallion spec and racing medallion the same exhaust just newer models or are they a totally different exhaust. I really wanted a racing medallion but i found a good deal on a super medallion and was wondering whats the difference.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
From what i gather at the tanabe racing site, the new tanabe super racing medallion is a lighter form of the tanabe racing medallion.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The super (race spec) is STAINLESS STEEL!!! I bought one, I should know. Plus it comes with a silencer, which is extremely handy on long trips. aIf you live where it snows, get stainless. I had a 5 Zigen, it rusted through after 2 seasons, and I washed my undercarrige every other week.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
ok this info i have is for sure. the racing is the old verson of the super. the racing is 90mm tip. the super is either 100 or 115. i have the racing. i know a guy who has the super. the tip size is the only difference. and it maybe lighter, also, as their ad states. and both are stainless steel, just not polished stainless steel. basically ur common 60mm, mass-market, exhaust. oh yeah mine has that bottleneck in it. i have yet to remove it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok. 96dc2 is right...Both are stainless. Sorry, this must be a new thing, or maybe I was misinformed. Either way, both are stainless. The link below helps clarify some things. Check out the exhaust link and from there you can choose either Super RM or RM. It gives you more info. The way I see it, the Super looks like it has smoother bends, and thinner exhaust walls. This creates larger inside diameter, and better exhaust flow. Both have the bottleneck.
Yes, 5 Zigen Fireballs are NOT STAINLESS STEEL. They are aluminized mild steel. My resonator-can practically fell off.
tanabe link

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes the main difference with the Super Medallion was the material used. I believe they used 18 gauge steel so it will be a couple pounds lighter. You won't be saving anything more than 5 lbs or so.

The walls are SLIGHTLY thinner, 1.2mm instead of 1.5mm, giving an ID similar to a 60.5mm OD exhaust. It's not any appreciable gain in size.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the older racing medallion has a stainless steel inner core and aluminized mild steel outer layer (I should know I used to own one). The new racing medallion is completely stainless steel. The 5 Zigen is like the old racing medallion.

all of these have that bottleneck at the cat flange, all are 60 mm (2 3/8 in.) OD, all are straight through....there's nothing performance wise that separates them from one another...as was insightfully stated before by FlyinHighImport (which you guys merrily ignored).

Please don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. This is not the hype GS-RRR makes it out to be. The performance difference is zero. The weight effect on performance is zero. If you are really serious about saving weight then start removing the sound insulation and interior moldings in your car and the back seat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Please don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. This is not the hype GS-RRR makes it out to be. The performance difference is zero. The weight effect on performance is zero. If you are really serious about saving weight then start removing the sound insulation and interior moldings in your car and the back seat.
Whoa! Take it easy...I wasnt saying that there will be any measurable effect on performance. I was merely pointing out what the Tanabe site said, and what they claim the effects would be. To some people the .5mm difference in ID is something they consider, as well as the design of the bends. I personally wouldnt care for those differences, I chose it over the RM for its stainless steel piping, having had problems with aluminized steel before. I try not to contribute to the hype that these manufacturers are putting out there. And I understand that most of the admins here have a die-hard faithfulness to the 2.5" OD and better designed complete ehasuts systems that smsp and hy-tech have, for a good reason. I was merely replying to what the question asked was...what the differences between RM and SRM are. I know its your guys faithful and admirable job to dispell all the crap that the manufacturers put out there, and replace it with true and real info. After all, thats why I have joined the site and have urged countelss other to do so as well. Just take er' easy......getting a bit quick to point out a "hype pusher".

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
nothin personal and I know you aren't their sales rep but look at your enthusiastic posts...even I don't get that excited over an exhaust! LOL

yeah for you in MA, the complete stainless steel will be good against the winter road salt but I'd call Dave at SMSP who's a member here and get a stainless flange (if you plan on going with an aftermarket cat) and chop off that B-pipe bottleneck.

My Tanbe with the aluminized steel held up pretty good over the winters uphere.

Where is Melrose?...I went to school in Boston and did my residency at Harvard. Lived in Brookline, MA for 4 years.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
No one ever said the exhaust was bad, just that Tanabe is over-hyping it to try and sell this new system to people who already own the old system. It's not all that much different from other 60mm exhausts out there.

The 0.6mm increase you get on the ID isn't going to make any difference performance-wise if you are using a stock 2.0" header and haven't reached the limits of the 60mm exhaust's flow capacity. The weight savings you get from it would be equivilent to taking a crap before you go driving.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was going to get a muffler with aluminized steel, does it really break down that quickly? I can't imagine it falling off after 2 years. They salt the roads like a mother out here, so that wouldn't be good. I don't want to be buying a new exhaust system every 2 years.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Brian it's not that bad with the aluminized steel. We probably get as much road salt as you guys in PA...if not more. My old version exhaust held up well over a couple of winters but I tried to stay away from being caught behind a sander truck while it was laying down the sand and salt.

this reminds of a funny story a friend of mine told me:

he got a job in Southern California and was driving his Supra down to his new home loaded with boxes and luggage in February from Calgary , AB.

He finally arrived in Thousand Oaks in southern cal and pulled up to a gas station to refill. The car had not been washed and had the white salt deposit layer on the body still from all the road splash. So a kid asked him what that white stuff was on his car. He told him that it was road salt. The kid noticed his Canadian plates and said:

"oh, in California, we put wax on our cars.".

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yeah you guys located down the Ventura highway towards LA have it real "good" : the 405 traffic at rush hour, smog, brush fires, blackouts, mud slides, and the occasional earthquake-Tsunami..otherwise what's a blizzard or avalanche here and there up north for comparison?

I sometimes visit my cousins Steve and Kimmy who live in Orange County...I actually read a chapter in a book (Pablo Neruda) while being stuck on the 405 from LA going to the Westminster exit in OC. Been there, done that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts