Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 ls and the sunroof is stuck closed. The motor is working and lifts the the sunroof about quarter of an inch but then stops. I can close it all the way down again with with the motor as well. I tried opening it manually but it got stuck at the same part. I've even tried pushing on it while trying to open it and no luck. I just got this car about 3 months ago and cleaned out the track and regreased and it worked great until the last month or month and a half. Please, if anyone has any suggests i am totally open. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I would start by pulling the headliner off and seeing whats stopping it. Might be a rock or something.

·
Registered
724 Posts
removing the headliner is the best bet it isnt hard at all and it will give you access to the entire sunroof assemly
Sounds like he already has the headliner off: "I tried opening it manually but it got stuck at the same part".

... But just to be sure: OP, when you say you tried opening it manually, do you mean that you inserted a 1/4" socket extension into the motor itself and tried cranking it manually?

If not, I would definitely try that before you do anything else.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds like he already has the headliner off: "I tried opening it manually but it got stuck at the same part".

... But just to be sure: OP, when you say you tried opening it manually, do you mean that you inserted a 1/4" socket extension into the motor itself and tried cranking it manually?

If not, I would definitely try that before you do anything else.
i dont think you need to take the headliner off to manually open/close it there is a plug in the headliner in the rear that can be taken out and that is were you can manually open/close.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i dont think you need to take the headliner off to manually open/close it there is a plug in the headliner in the rear that can be taken out and that is were you can manually open/close.
Good call, I totally forgot about that... thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
On a G3, you dont need to remove the headliner to do it manually. There is a little plastic peice that covers the manual opener.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks guys. I just looked at it again and the right back side isn't moving up at all. I think the seal has it stuck next to the body. I've already tried pushing up on it hard while pushing the button but no luck. Any ideas on how i might be able to break it loose without busting out the glass.
Oh and i haven't removed the headliner. I tried to pull it back manually buy using the manual release on the back part of the ceiling with an allen wrench.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Pull the liner off and attack it from there,no point trying to push on it. If the glass brakes,your hand is going to get f##ked up. Something is loose or came loose and popped off and got stuck in the track.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree, just take the liner off, sure its more work but its better than further busting it or hurting yourself. good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mine did the samething, Had to drop it and found out that there are two srpings one on each side, one had poped off both need to be connected in order for sunroof to open properly. back on track:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
since i had the same problem as well, i thought i would reply with a detailed account of mine. First, HOW the problem happened, and how i fixed it.

i Just finished taking down my sunroof over the weekend. it was painful and exhausting. I made a big mistake. my sunroof vibrated violently just before it closed. so i thought i'd put some wd-40 on that mother. Bad move, because wd-40 is also a degreaser. (i later saw many other people have problems after using wd-40) Grease is what i should have used. it was fine for a few hours. I took it to the car wash, turned off my radio, closed my sunroof, and gave the keys to the attendant. The car goes through a machine first, then hand detailed. I almost fainted when i saw the guy opening and closing my sunroof repeatedly... getting stuck open about 1 inch each time. so he put tape around it for water to not get in and ran it through the wash.

When i went to pick up the car, i got in, and closed my sunroof fine. and then i opened it fine, except for one extra click that i never heard before. as i drove off, i tried opening the sunroof again, but it was stuck. same as the op's problem.

taking down the headliner involved taking down the seals, visors, lights, nuts, bolts, pillars... :( and i did not immediately see the problem. so i had to take the whole thing apart.

the thing had no grease cause of the wd-40 :eek: i spend hours trying to see what was making it stuck. i unscrewed base, took out the gaskets, and started taking off the rails when i noticed it was not stuck anymore. :confused:

So i put everything back, and manually closed/opened it and it moved fine. so i put the sunroof back on the car, and pressed the sunroof switch and bam.... stuck again.

took it down again, inspected it, saw that a plastic rail (that sits on the aluminum rail) on the passenger side was not moving freely. took it out, greased it, fixed the spring, re-installed sunroof onto my car, flipped the sunroof switch... heard a click when i opened it, and it got stuck again

this time, i took it back down and took it all apart again, removed the plastic rail, and looked for the click.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

arms are attached to the sunroof glass. Arms sit on the plastic rail. and the plastic rail slides across the aluminum rail. the plastic rail has a spring loaded notch or stub that stops the sunroof from moving when it is fully extended. The stub comes out when it slides across a hole on the aluminum rail to lock the sunroof from extending any further, and compresses back then you slide the sunroof back to close. (kind of like a house door latch)

Except that sometimes this stub will get worn out, break, or get stuck, or derailed...then it wont move anymore. those plastic rails have a hook that locks the sunroof closed. ( i assume that without it, you can slighlty push up on the sunroof with your hand when it is supposed to be closed.

I popped out the pin that held the spring and stub, and put everything back and the sunroof worked fine... but then it got stuck later again! :mad: this time it was the other side.

To fix your sunroof: you have these options:

1. find a used one $80-150 and just swap it (2-3 hours)
2.take down your sunroof and remove the long plastic rails that have a hook in them, pop out the pin that holds the spring loaded notch. (this is why it gets stuck) and it should work.
3. remove the black plastic rails altogether. (this is what i did, but on one side only) the only purpose it serves is locking the sunroof in place. which i don't think you need, because the weight of the glass itself is enough to keep it in position.
4. replace at a dealer ($1200-1800)

looking back, i think i should have removed both the plastic rails. because it kinda got stuck on me again today. now its fine, but if it gets stuck, i know its those stupid long black plastic rails with the damn useless hooks in them.

(sorry about my post. im at work, and have to type fast. )

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is very old. However, I just recently bought a beat up integra and I'd have to agree with taking out the two black plastic rails. If you're looking to fix your old beat up integra and have a problem with the moonroof,
to "unhook" the stuck part while it's closed go over a driveway crooked until you hear a click. Then when it's open you can just open it all the way and then when it's open all the way take the two black plastic rails off. you don't have to disassemble the whole moonroof. Just take two pliers, slide them towards the front, take a screwdriver and pop off the spring, then with the pliers and screwdriver tilt the rails up and out. The first one I did I broke it but it doesn't matter 'cause you won't be using them anyways. Then repeat for the other side.
I used white lithium grease to grease up the roof while it was open. clean before you grease it up. I works like a champ now. Hope this helps someone. because I was looking everywhere for this fix/problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is very old. However, I just recently bought a beat up integra and I'd have to agree with taking out the two black plastic rails. If you're looking to fix your old beat up integra and have a problem with the moonroof,
to "unhook" the stuck part while it's closed go over a driveway crooked until you hear a click. Then when it's open you can just open it all the way and then when it's open all the way take the two black plastic rails off. you don't have to disassemble the whole moonroof. Just take two pliers, slide them towards the front, take a screwdriver and pop off the spring, then with the pliers and screwdriver tilt the rails up and out. The first one I did I broke it but it doesn't matter 'cause you won't be using them anyways. Then repeat for the other side.
I used white lithium grease to grease up the roof while it was open. clean before you grease it up. I works like a champ now. Hope this helps someone. because I was looking everywhere for this fix/problem.
Anyone use this fix?
Does it work on your integra?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts