Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New stuff at bottom of page 4-23-03

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but i didnt see a place. Im sorry if this is the wrong place and you can move it to the right place if you need too.
But anyway.

So my muffler has been shaking and making weird sounds like ratteling really bad when im moving in 1st and 2nd gear but only when i just start up the car.

But i decided to take off my silencer today and damn that was tough b/c from parking and scraping it was not a circle anymore but i finaly got it off with a little help from WD-40 and inside of the muffler there was so much dirt and black ash ( or coal ) what ever the hell it is, but i found something weird almost like lint or fabric in it also. What the hell do you think it might be ?And a way to stop it, or to fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
how old is the muffler and what brand is it? if you're getting that "lint" stuff as you said, your muffler is blown. the lint is actually fiberglass packing which is what muffles the exhaust noise in the muffler.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What kind of muffler and how long have you had it? The "lint or fabric" you describe could very well be the insulation material of the muffler burning off, iono. But the black deposits are carbon, maybe you're running rich, or you just don't clean it much. As for stopping the insulation material burning out, you really can't do anything but replace it if the problem becomes intolerable.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ractive muffler and i have had it on for about 1.5 years. Its hard to clean it. Taking off the silencer today was the first time in like 4 months or so. I should prob try and do it more often but winter sucks. I mean in the summer i wash and clean the car every week.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yeah, replace that thing and don't buy reactive again. A muffler shouldn't blow out in 1 1/2 years.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Um, some help. i get the same thing but none of the linty stuff. I just get weird noises and rattling when i get into first and second gear.My muffler is made by Janspeed. I believe they are top notch.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i took off my silencer today and HOLY C*AP i found a chunk of lint about the size of a chipmunk in my exhaust and the whole exhaust that i could see inside ( only like 4in b/c its a dark garage ) was lined with this linty material.

Please someone what the Hell is going on with my car ?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
you got a crap muffler... simple as that. spend the extra money to get a decent system and it'll last more than a year and a half.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
You get what you pay for. The muffler is shot, time to purchase a cat-back. Now is a good time to look into what you want your final project to be. So buy your exhaust accordingy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts