Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i recently purchased some new wheels (17s) so now i want to work on my suspension but cant really decide if i should go strutbars and swaybars or coilovers first cuz i dont want my car to look like a 4x4. The wheels are not on yet (waitin for better weather) so i got a lil time before i buy anything.

what strutbars/swaybars do you guys suggest? i dont race or anything so they'd be for basic daily driving. i think im gonna get alot of itr suggestions on this.

as far as coilovers are concerned i saw awhile back that kablookie (i think) got some k-sport coilovers and lca's for bout $850 figured it was good deal (my budget is kinda tight) plus he drives a 4dr also an he seems to like them

so should i go with the increased handling with strut/sway bars or the look and handling of coilovers???

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
First off, suspension is a great thing to tackle. Even automatics get to enjoy 90% of what manuals can do through suspension.

Second, you get what you think is logical to you. If you go the ''bars'' route, I suggest getting the whole deal: front and rear upper tie-down, then your anti-roll bar(s). If you could only choose, the anti-roll bar and maybe rear upper tie-down IS a must.

Third, I generally would rather tackle those first than springs (despite the other way around is the way to finely tune-compensate for altered spring/damper rates). That way, when it's out of the way, you can go after a spring rate you know you would like/want to finish it off with. The anti-roll bar is a much better manipulation toward improved (if not efficient) handling over coilovers. BUT, if you insist on the look, which I do sometimes, I say get the coilovers, and good ones (=

The cheapest it appears for an anti-roll bar, is the one that comes on the IT-R. Your call really. I'm getting Progess (beefy 27mm *****, haha) so you get what you want. Runnin on 17s, it's really your call..

GL

~P2P

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
no sir, you are returning to the previous handling balance by doing that..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i really dont know a whole lot bout suspension so by tie bars do you mean strut bars?? sorry if im completely off on that one
if not can i get a complete list of "bars" i should upgrade??

·
Registered
801 Posts
Its going to be harder to run a good suspension set up considering the size of your rims if your going for more than just looks. If your going to autocross your car with the suspension set up, I would suggest getting a set of stealies to use so you don't tear up the tires on your 17 in wheels. Plus with smaller tires, you will get the kind of performance (acceleration) that you'll want with autocrossing, drag/stip...good luck on your choices and don't go the cheap way on your suspension. Like others are saying, the suspension is probably one of the best things to do to a car to get better performance/more fun out of it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i dont race at all really but if i were to, i definately wouldnt do it wit the 17s on... im basically jus lookin for an affordable but very effiecient upgrade, since my car is just a daily driver to get to and from work and wherever else i go

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
sorry I call them upper tie-downs.. they're commonly also called, upper/tower strut bars/braces..

Here is the most effective one(s):

1) stabiliser bar (that's your anti-roll bar there) the rear one
2) tower bars (I have yet described its purposes here on T-I, I plan on doing so in some time, it's a very complicated concept since we don't run on struts)
3) anywhere else you can cheaply harness a median (which practically can be a solid steer bar) that are noticeable regions of deflection or flexing of the chassis - these are the lower tie-downs that you see ppl see. It is more important to note that they do do some positive things, but for what ppl pay it does NOTHING - go to a hardware store and make & fab. your own for 20 bucks.. that's more effectively important
4) I have detailed the basics, you can go further from there depending on your app. since you are a DD and not track star, you won't need to worry about rollcages, traction bars, upgraded components, etc etc

Just stick with those. If you feel you want to change it out, say if you want to upgrade again, then by all means, go ahead

you'll be amazed at how graceful a Honda can be if you do it right (= for me, since I'm a DD as well (yeah yeah, 27mm is overkill so what) I'm just stickin' with spring/shock upgrade, anti-roll bar for the rear, and ''tower'' bars, I'm gettin' Koni's =p , and wheels

~P2P

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a lower strut/tie bar on the front also, or is it jus on the rear?
how much the koni's gonna run you for, tiger6386??
also if i were to just go with all itr strut/sway bars about how much am i lookin to spend and would be going to a honda/acura dealer be the best bet or online?
if i go to the dealer is there any certain years or anything i should ask for? like should i jus ask for the strut and sways for a 94 type-r also does it matter that its for a sedan?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
tokico illumina coilovers run at around 600-700 from what i've seen.

koni yellow is about 550 and ground control is about 250-300 so about 850 for this set up. But so far this set up has been getting a lot of praise.

In terms of the bars:
Strut/tie bars

Sway bars

I suggest the following bars...as a basic and good upgrade.

1. ITR 22mm rear sway bar. For this bar you have to remember to upgrade the endlinks and bushings. If you install an ITR rear sway bar on your car you will need to modify the subframe a bit to allow a larger bolt. If modifying the subframe isn't your thing then I recommend getting the Comptech Sway/Tie bar combo. It just bolts right on and you get a tie bar.

In terms of the strut/tie bars it's great to have but will only make an effective difference when you're pushing that car hard thus creating chasis flex. For bars i suggest the ITR front Bar...theres no need for a front lower tie since it will most likely interfere and isn't as popular, which is why few companies manufacture it for our cars. For the rear strut bar I would recommend an ITR as well. I have it back there and that thing is stiff as hell. If you need the trunk space then just get a lower tie. But if you could just put a lower tie bar and a rear strut bar. Again this is where that comptech sway/tie bar comes handy. If you buy that combo then you don't really have to worry about a rear strut and definately don't have to worry about a lower rear tie bar.

·
Registered
801 Posts
phast94 on Feb/11/06 said:
well i dont race at all really but if i were to, i definately wouldnt do it wit the 17s on... im basically jus lookin for an affordable but very effiecient upgrade, since my car is just a daily driver to get to and from work and wherever else i go
So your looking for looks for the lowering springs and then the tie bars just for everyday driving?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
generally maybe 600 for Yellows for my car (which is the median, ofcourse it fluctuates from like 500-800 eveywhere, 600 is the average) I plan on spending I think like 450 is that right? with free s/h

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wiseguy2213 on Feb/11/06 said:
Quote: phast94 on Feb/11/06well i dont race at all really but if i were to, i definately wouldnt do it wit the 17s on... im basically jus lookin for an affordable but very effiecient upgrade, since my car is just a daily driver to get to and from work and wherever else i go

So your looking for looks for the lowering springs and then the tie bars just for everyday driving?
im not sayin that i dont like to push it, it just i dont race. my car is completely stock cept for i/h/c/e an the recently bought 17s so i want to upgrade the looks and handling. theres quite a few back roads around me an my car handles like **** on em compared to my old maxima i had

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
coilovers and IT-R rear.. you're done until further noticed

lol (=

~P2P

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mystikalstriker on Feb/11/06 said:
tokico illumina coilovers run at around 600-700 from what i've seen.

koni yellow is about 550 and ground control is about 250-300 so about 850 for this set up. But so far this set up has been getting a lot of praise.

im guessin that the koni's are just the struts and ground control are the springs?? so its not really a coilover setup

i have no problem moddin to fit the itr sways cuz i have a guy at work that could easily help me out if not do it for me

it looks as if the itr bars are sweepin this category as i expected. is a honda/acura dealer the best place to go to purchase them new? an does it matter what year itr? or that its for a 4dr?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow guys, overkill a little on everyday driving. To me it sounds like Noah wants to just pick up chicks in a clean ride, no need for race, speed, or rail like handling. on a tight budget, it sounds like you need a set of tokico shocks and springs combo. Tokico sells these combos with the spring so they're already matched up and under warranty. For around 300-600 you could get your springs and shocks. They have 2 kits, adjustable and nonadjustable shocks. Adjustable being more expensive of course. Then you might need a camber kit so pick up a skunk2/omni camber kit, get your car aligned after its all installed ASAP.
When you're ready to step up then get the sway bar (anti roll bar).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
abcsr2ez4me on Feb/11/06 said:
To me it sounds like Noah wants to just pick up chicks in a clean ride
ha yeah thats part of it, but i do want upgrades cuz i dont like the handle a whole lot as it is now plus i dont mind droppin a lil more money a quality parts

·
Registered
90 Posts
ok listen to "mystikalstriker" Team Integra has articals that explain very well about each part of yur car yu need to beef up to get the desired suspenion.

its all about how much yu wana spend man. 900$$ or 1500$$
1500 will get yu good everything. maybe a lil more than what yu really want. but it will ride like a dream. It may come back more w/ shippoing and handeling. depending if yu do it online. Try to find a Shop in yur town that can order them in for you. pay them directly with fulential recepts and garrenttees that yur going to get what yu need and not some other stuff w/ no return policy.

Getting it done yurself or with help saves yu lots of money. but Get it done Right the first time. make sure if yu do it yur self yu dont half assed anything!

~~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.