Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was crusing the internet looking for a specific law and I came across this site defining 'street legal' in California. If you don't want to get a ticket for having illegal modifications on your car then this is what you want to know. It oulines what is legal and what is not legal. Its not going to keep you from getting pulled over, but it will educate you as to what the law is so you can fight any tickets they give you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Huh. Good find. Seems pretty common sense, although I can't figure out why it's illegal to have lights on the car, if they aren't turned on.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably for the same reason its illegal to be in possession of drugs. You may not be using them now... but you will. Not that lights are on the same level as drugs, but the principle is the same. If you have illegal lights on your car then you have probably either used them or will use them. The fact that you got stopped while not using them isn't the issue.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured that the law is probably similar just about everywhere else. California just publishes their laws better than other states. Its just breaking down the California Vehicle Code and spitting it back out in english for us. The laws regarding this stuff is similar in every state. You just need to look at your state vehicle code to find it. Most of them are published on the web.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jteg96 on Feb/27/04 said:
Laws very greatly depending on the state, as does the enforcement of these laws. There has been a lot of posts about this in the cali forum with other informative sites linked if you are interested.
I saw those posts just now in fact. Very cool stuff. People ought to check those out for sure.

The laws don't vary greatly by state. Trust me on that. I work for a law firm that deals with this stuff all day long. If its a law in California then its likely to be a law everywhere else too. The specifics of things like tint laws vary, but every state has them. That's why I say to check your state vehicle code for the specifics of the laws. Obviously if I'm working on a case in Alabama I'm not going to cite California laws, but I haven't found many cases where the laws are that different.

·
Registered
622 Posts
HOW ABOUT THIS LAW:

Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.

AND ADD THIS LAW:
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

EQUALS TO: We will never be allowed to have an exhaust no matter how quiet or even if it passes the ref. Because no matter what you can still get pulled over and noise is based upon the officers judgement.

IMO...I find this is going to be really controversial..

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its not a new law. Basically its just a noise thing. If its obviously too loud then you'll get a ticket. If its borderline and they give you a ticket then you can get it dismissed by showing them that its not too loud. I think a lot of aftermarket exhausts are going to fail that test. That is one area where California laws really blow. Its not that strict in other states.

In my opinion, if a cop needs to have a calibrated machine (either a patrol vehicle speedometer or a radar/laser gun) to give you a ticket then they need a similar device to tell you that your car is too loud. We don't allow cops to eyeball our speed so why do we allow them to ticket us by ear? Its something you could fight. The problem is that the judge will just tell you to bring him something that proves your car isn't too loud.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Jngrbrdman on Feb/27/04 said:
Its not a new law...

In my opinion, if a cop needs to have a calibrated machine (either a patrol vehicle speedometer or a radar/laser gun) to give you a ticket then they need a similar device to tell you that your car is too loud. We don't allow cops to eyeball our speed so why do we allow them to ticket us by ear? Its something you could fight. The problem is that the judge will just tell you to bring him something that proves your car isn't too loud.
I believe the new law he was referring to is the one that says a cop can ticket you by ear. Grey Davis was going to propose a law requiring officers to have a device to check the decible level before he could ticket you but instead they made this b.s. law that says he can ticket you on personal hearing. (maybe you could ask the officer the last time his ears were calibrated to specs, lol))

Maybe you could give some advice on fighting this kinda stuff, i know from personal experience (as i've discussed in the cali forums) how difficult the court systems are on stuff like this for teens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
this link has been posted in MANY threads before, but its good to have it as a topic. As to the exhaust noise law(s) in CA if an officer deems the exhaust "too loud" then you simply have to get it tested, if it passes you lose some time, and thats about it, but the next time it happens you can simply show the cop the referee forms. If you do not pass you must pay the fine, and any other b/s fees associated with that. I've also been hearing rumors that soon this will be illegal and a cop has to get it tested on the spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts