Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how much power the stock speakers in a 97 integra ls can handle or if u can tell me where i can find this information.

There's the rear speakers, front speakers on the bottom of the door, and the tweeters at the top of the doors.

I want to upgrade but want to make sure its a big difference.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm at work cant be sure but i think the front are 13w each? They sound alot better if you power them from aftermarket headunit. So yea you will hear a difference. I had them power from my deck 18w x 4 rms before I got my system setup.
Your better of just replacing them with aftermarket speaker but if you just got a deck atm then yea powering them is decent.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
upgrade what? simpy put: the stock speakers are crap. regardless of how much power you put through them they are going to still be crappy speakers.

my recomendation would be to determine how much you have to spend on audio, and then determine your path. i would start with new speakers at least in front. then move to getting a new headunit that will provide more RMS wattage. if money permits, and you chose yor new speakers wisely and they are capable of handling more power than the 22 watts RMS that *most* aftermarket headunits put out, then you can get an external 2 or 4 channel amp to help out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
yeah those stock speakers suck...put a new head unit in and they cant handle the new power output and you gotta put speaker savers on htem to keep them from blowing...get any aftermarket speakers u want and they will be better...i got a set of dual speakers for free with the head unit i bought...they cost like $30 if u buy them and they sound 10 times better then stock...also if u can afford it get a sub...with the sub you can just put all the bass to the sub and have your speakers doing hte rest...that helped a hell of alot and got me by until i got the new speakers

good luck

·
Registered
2000 GS-R
725 Posts
on the back of the speakers, the 6½" are labeled 15W, & the tweeters are labeled 30W, both at 4 ohms. Whether that is RMS or MAX, I don't know.
It's mainly the 6½"s that are crap. Just look at the OEM prices for them. The 6½"s are $11 each & the tweeters are $97 each.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pioneer headunit ,2 audiobahn subs with an infiniti amp and today i noticed a crackling noise when i turned the volume past 32 and the headunit goes to like 60.

I think the back seat speakers are blown, but i guess i might as well get new speakers all around, ASAP!

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
223 Posts
mine started cracklin in the back to..thats why i put hte aftermarket speakers back there but now the back is alot louder and clearer then the front so i gotta get front speakers to make it even

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
hustler958 on Jan/19/06 said:
yeah those stock speakers suck...put a new head unit in and they cant handle the new power output and you gotta put speaker savers on htem to keep them from blowing...get any aftermarket speakers u want and they will be better...i got a set of dual speakers for free with the head unit i bought...they cost like $30 if u buy them and they sound 10 times better then stock...also if u can afford it get a sub...with the sub you can just put all the bass to the sub and have your speakers doing hte rest...that helped a hell of alot and got me by until i got the new speakers

good luck
That about sums it up. The stock speakers suck, but upgrading them won't make a big difference. You need to upgrade the head unit as well or use an Amplifier, to put more wattage to the speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what up hustler,
yeah man i'll most likely be goin to circuit city sometime soon, I like their service.

i hope it's not that expensive. it cant be more than getting my subs and amp installed at circuit city.

·
Registered
223 Posts
head unit upgrade is always implied lol...not to many ppl keep a stock head unit...i went to best buy...they did a good job the first time...now me and my dad have been assembling hte new system...i got my head unit put in by them for $100 and they wired my car and attached the amp to the sub box for another $150...this time me and my dad put in the head unit and were re wiring the car this weekend and we already put together the subs and box...its real expensive cuz those places no they can screw you..but if it isnt done right you can screw alot of stuff up..my freind put in his own sh*t and then his power door locks didnt work...another freind put in his stuff and his rear speakers dont work now..so sometimes is worth the money
good luck and dont get ripped off

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah i just spliced big tv speakers from my rear speakers to the trunk haha, works nicely actually. but what brand speakers should i replace all mine with? and brand/size subs and amp should i buy? thats not overkill

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
jaybish21 on Jan/19/06 said:
yeah i just spliced big tv speakers from my rear speakers to the trunk haha, works nicely actually. but what brand speakers should i replace all mine with? and brand/size subs and amp should i buy? thats not overkill
Alpine deck, Macintosh amps, MB Quart full range speakers, and JL W7s...(About $2,000 installed...)

Or maybe that would be overkill. Like in the performance forums, be specific about what you want from your system.

Loud? *Really* loud? Clear? Lots of bass? Flashy and good to show off? Competition or just for fun?

You could spend a few hundred and impress *all* of your friends, or spend a few thousand and be unhappy. It all depends on what you want...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wouldn't recommend running anymore than like 16rms watts through the stock speakers, my deck is 20x4 rms and goes from 0-50 for volume, I can turn it up to around 35-40 depending on the music before it starts distorting (loud enough to make my hearing all quiet with a little buzz when I get out of the car after driving for 5 minutes). I think, like everyone else said, the best thing you can do is aftermarket quality head unit. I noticed a world of difference after changing mine.

Side note, those stock speakers can take a beating. I've pushed them way too far many times, I want to blow them so I have an excuse to buy new ones. lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i know that the front speakers say 30W max and 15W nominal which im sure means RMS
the stock tape deck sucked. i got a new HU which does 22x4 RMS and the speakers sound so much better. got some JBL gto626s waiting to go in on a sunny day hehehe

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah well my friend has 3-10"'s of audiobahn subs in his explorer and they sound really nice..i thought about maybe just 2 10"s and maybe that would be plenty of bass, i want something that will thump and make my hair stand up but where the quality doesnt suck and make my whole car rattle haha. thanks man

·
Registered
223 Posts
your car rattling doesnt have anything to do with what kind of sub you got...alll that bass makes your car rattle...you dont need alot...i had a 800 watt kenwood typhoon that hit hard as ****..felt like a full body massage haha...now i got 2 1300 watt xplodes tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.