Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anything out there?

i've been looking around a lot today, and it's all flashy alluminum with a motorized this, and color that.

i need something that doesn't scream steal me. something that looks like stock...plays mp3s, and at least 50x4.

i'm i sol?

tia.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Panasonic makes a cool 'ghost' deck that goes all black when its off. Or you could look at those Kenwood ones with the MASK feature. The faceplate just rotates all the way around and blacks out the face. There are some good ones like that. In the end its not going to matter. Unless you have a $2000 stereo system in your car or something else that screams "steal me" then your alarm should be enough to scare theives away from stealing a $200 headunit.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
im gonna say that Alpine makes a nice classy looking deck, but if you want a stock looking unit, nothing beats an Eclipse. Im not too familiar with their lineup, but i think they have at least one mp3 unit, but im bettin it will be upwards of a grand or more...eclipse units look like they cost like 50 bucks, but from all accounts their sound is worth every penny

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unforunately alpine's run about 350.

i almost just want something where if a pos thief peers in the window they'll think to themselves "oh...stock...i wont bother" i don't care about impressing friends with a blinging faceplate.

when you have a removable faceplate...and thieves look in...it's like "oh, it must be expensive if they take the faceplate off"

i've looked at Nakamichi's...but i can't find any that play Mp3's.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
The ghost plates and such...people will steal those more often than a deck w/the faceplate removed. Trust me on this...it's where I live.

An alarm helps, but doesn't stop. It all depends on where you live. If it's safe, you're in pretty good shape. If you live in the city where I live, there's stereos stolen nightly.

Don't buy from Crutchfield, too expensive. Check out the common topics section here, you can get some Alpine decks for much less.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep. i would never buy from crutchfield. i just use it as a resource for specs and pictures...etc.

here's a picture of a Nakamichi.

they're supposedly have some of the best SQ out there. but no MP3 capability.:(

i'd like it to look something like that.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I hate to tell you this but most theives no what there looking for.....those "camo" decks are really nothing more than a gimick. Unless they are stupid they will know exactly what you have in there. If you are really worried about someone stealing it layer your security...or if you really wanna trouble yourself leave your stock deck in the car and hide your MP3 one somewhere else. Like in your glove box or something just run longer wires from the harness. Good luck

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a good idea...but it's sorta tough to change settings or volume or pop another cd in when the player's in the glove.

do any stock players from newer cars have mp3 support? maybe i could throw something like that in there.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
corona on Feb/19/04 said:
a good idea...but it's sorta tough to change settings or volume or pop another cd in when the player's in the glove.

do any stock players from newer cars have mp3 support? maybe i could throw something like that in there.
Why would a company make a deck look like a factory unit? Their going to try and make them look as unique as possible.

Thus the removalbe faceplate is born... problem solved

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
because this being unique thing is getting out of control. there's a billion different designs, with all combinations of silver, blue, black and red, ranging from crappy quality to good quality. but nothing that's nice, sleek, and functional.

it's not only about theft either. it's about something that looks half decent going in my console. silver & black and that tweed blue interior color just don't look right.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Quote: corona on Feb/19/04 because this being unique thing is getting out of control. there's a billion different designs, with all combinations of silver, blue, black and red, ranging from crappy quality to good quality. but nothing that's nice, sleek, and functional.

it's not only about theft either. it's about something that looks half decent going in my console. silver & black and that tweed blue interior color just don't look right.
[/QUOTE]Exactly... I hate how aftermarket ones look in a car often... The deck might look cool all by itself, but in the car it stands out way too much...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ohhhhhh baby....

someone mentioned those ghost faces before...

panasonic ghost face mp3 head unit

didn't realize how cool they are. touch screen. lots of options & colors and they aren't nasty disgusting plastic silver. $200 new on ebay.

by far my first choice for replacing my old stereo.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well, aside from the ugly factor, stock HU's also require a code after being unpowered. Eclipse has something similar with ESN but instead of a code they use a key CD.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts