Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i couldnt find this on any searches.

has anyone pushed their stock clutch to the point where it slipped such as on the dyno without popping the clutch? i was mostly wondering about the numbers you were making in hp and tq. of course it matters on condition of clutch but at least an estimate.

the reason is that i went to the dyno and before the SC belt blew into 2 pieces i was only at 201hp and 148tq. i guess thats ok since i didnt open the exhaust cutout ,tune the cam gears and barly got into the timing+air/fuel. damn SC belt only let me get about 4-5 runs in which was just enough to get the car running just OK with the 440 injectors. next try is next tuesday!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
good luck... the stock clutch is suppossed to last up to 250-300 hp if I remember right?

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Heat is what makes a clutch slip. I remember SurferX explaining he was going to upgrade his clutch due to the fact that it started slipping after he's been out on the track for a few laps...not a drag strip btw.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i should be fine if i make up to 280whp and 200wtq (this is the highest i think possible...wishing) as long as i keep it cool between runs which i have to do anyway because of SC heat.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
No you won't be fine. That kind of torque/hp will not mate well with a stock clutch. If you go f/i, getting a better clutch should be on your parts list.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
one burnout or hard launch with that much power and a stock clutch, and that smoke wont be coming from you're tires.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
br1t1shguy on Mar/25/04 said:
one burnout or hard launch with that much power and a stock clutch, and that smoke wont be coming from you're tires.
*Rim shot* OH! He's here all night folks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i see hard launch but i really wanna know if i could dyno without any clutch problems. that sucked stoping one session and another wouldnt be that fun since the dyno is 50 miles from home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jcavittintegra on Mar/25/04 said:
but i also had a ctr trans and clutch set up.
Yeah so it's fair to call that stock ;) An Exedy Organic clutch is cheap (less than $250) and very good for daily driving. Will hold up to some moderate street boosting just fine. That would be the minimum. If you want to take it to the track on weekends, ACT is your answer. Do some searching on here, you'll find a WEALTH of info on clutch upgrades (my first mod, picked my Exedy solely on reviews from my searching on TI and how it would meet my needs) I know you want to hear that your stock clutch will hold up just fine...but it won't. FI isn't cheap and as my mantra goes... "You gotta pay to play!"

Tom

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the stock pressure plate can not hold more than 200ft/lbs and it normaly can not hold that. it won't have enouph clamping force to push the clutch to the flywheel without slipping. horsepower has nothing to do with it really, its all a matter of torque

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i think he was refering to the 1/8 mile, otherwise he claims the second fastes front wheel drive car in the world

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
so far, 8lbs of boost, and stock clutch no problems, although I thought I was slipping the clutch, it was just a nasty case of wheelspin and wheel hop

I mean you can always just wait till you see signs of slipage then get a new clutch.

I have a new RPS 1900+ kit in my closet just in case.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's fine to run it till it gives, it's kind of an "as you will it" deal. If you're trying to do hard-ish launches and fast high-throttle shifts it will die much quicker.

Tom

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
4doorGSR, hey buddy, long time no talk.

Updated: LSD, Flywheel and Blown Clutch is the thread you want to read. You'll see how my stock clutch held up on a similar setup.

As for slipping on the dyno though, I didn't have that problem since I was not on a roller dynop, but rather a dynapack.

Anyhow, it would have been a good idea to change out to a new SC belt came dyno time too if it had been a while. When I went to my first dyno session here locally, they had asked me to do basic tuneup before I took my car in.

Oil change, spark plugs, etc. I made sure I was able to pull out of the dyno. I would highly advise you not overlook anything this time around.

Anyhow those are pretty good numbers. What psi are you running again? 8psi right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i got the belt replaced and was told by the dyno guys (who've tuned and owned JRSC integras) to use goodyear gatorback belts because they seemed to be the best, esp. for boosting over 6psi. my friend who did the belt had to use a regular belt for now since the measurements on the gatorbacks are different or off compared to stock type ones.

the reason (we think) so far for the belt breaking in half is that the pully on the nose of the SC has somehow sharpened its grooves. so the 3 grooves the belt rides on has two normal and one sharp one. that sharp groove had cut off a portion of the belt during my dyno. also the remaining grooves had cut the belt down to almost nothing. that belt was only on there for about 3 months max. we dont have any idea how this happened and i am going to call JR ASAP to see about this and maybe another sc pully(stock size).

thats not all the problems. now i think the that old belt was slipping while dynoing because when i took it out on the freeway i gave it gradually more and more gas and it knocked more and more and louder than ever. so i guess untill tuesday (my next dyno) i have to baby the car and keep off boost. also i pulled back about 7 degrees of timing from medium load to WOT which will hopefully keep me from blowing and seals or f**kin anything up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts