Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 98 GSR and want to know what are the first things I should do... best bang for the buck... supercharger? exhaust?

·
Registered
223 Posts
FlyinHighImport on Sep/15/02 said:
that is one of the most vast questions i have ever heard...give us some more input on what your plans on are in the future, your goals, times, etc.
btw: the first thing anyone usually does is cold air intake.
True, FlyinHighImport - It sure is a broad question. People definitely need to know more to respond.
Oh - one thing though - 1998integraGSR, if you go w/ the supercharger, DoN'T start w/ a cold air intake. Short ram intakes work better with superchargers - make sure you know what your goals are before you modify anything! - Also, you should DEFINITELY read the articles and existing forums. This site is a gold mine of information! TI kicks A$$!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Cold Air intakes have the filter in the fenderwell behind the blinker, while short ram intakes have an exposed filter under the hood inside the engine compartment.
Cody

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Savy on Sep/15/02 said:
2000 gs here.... is there a major performance diff betwee CAI and short ram intake??
try using the search and reading the articles for more in-depth discussion on this. however, i'll give you something quick and dirty.

a cold air intake draws air outside the engine compartment therefore providing the engine with colder air. colder air is denser and contains more oxygen for given volumn. also, the long piping gives it the "aem hump" where the dyno plot shows a good but momentary power gain in midrange.

a short ram is usually located where the stock air filter box is. no restrictive plumbing and no intake resonator mean more air flow - also true for the cold air intake. due to the shorter piping of the short ram, it doesn't have the "aem hump." however, for high reving applications, the longer piping of the cai can be restrictive. people with higher reving cars prefer short rams.

again, i can't stress enough that you do some research on your own. i'm sure you'll be able to find tons of useful information on this site alone not the mention the whole internet. have fun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Savy-
I don't know any horsepower numbers (maybe somebody else does...), but cold air intakes usually perform a little better than short ram intakes because the air they bring in is colder and denser. [The exception is supercharged engines, where the short ram intakes work better like I said.]
There are pros and cons to each- for instance, cold air intakes perform better but are usually more expensive, and they also come with risks such as letting water into the engine (uncommon but deadly).

·
Registered
223 Posts
dragontegz on Sep/15/02 said:
again, i can't stress enough that you do some research on your own. i'm sure you'll be able to find tons of useful information on this site alone not the mention the whole internet. have fun.
Yeah- What he said. dragon you beat me to the punch!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
snvin on Sep/15/02 said:
Savy-
I don't know any horsepower numbers (maybe somebody else does...), but cold air intakes usually perform a little better than short ram intakes because the air they bring in is colder and denser. [The exception is supercharged engines, where the short ram intakes work better like I said.]
There are pros and cons to each- for instance, cold air intakes perform better but are usually more expensive, and they also come with risks such as letting water into the engine (uncommon but deadly).
yes and no. cai's have the hump. everywhere else, a short ram will work just as well. if you start revving higher than 8 grand, a short ram will outperform a cai because of cai's long piping. basically, if you want big gobs of air, go with the short ram. (as in a SC application or NA application when it's screaming) for midrange power, go with a cai so you can take advantage of the hump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if u got the need for speed go start saving for a turbo (FI/SC)...if u want driving excitement the way honda intended start building up ur motor (NA) with cams, pistons, I/H/E, computer...but first thing first LOWER ur teg with some decent shock/spring combo...either path u take FI or NA there are a lot of info on here for u to search on...GOOD LUCK AND CoNGRATULATIoNS, AND HAVE FUN....

·
Registered
966 Posts
1998integraGSR on Sep/14/02 said:
Just got a 98 GSR and want to know what are the first things I should do... best bang for the buck... supercharger? exhaust?
Most bang is definately gonna be a FI system, either turbo or supercharger. For the buck... probably that, too. However, it depends on how long you wanna wait around with a stock car. I'm getting a '98 GS-R, too, and though I was going to just wait it out and do the JRSC first, I think that I'm gonna get some good tires (and 16" wheels to match) first--after all, they are the only four parts of the car connected to the road.

Then, so I don't have to wait around with stock horsepower before I make the leap to the JRSC, I was thinking of getting my exhaust, cat, and headers first (not the intake because the intake I'm getting, Comptech's JRSC-fitted one, won't fit right until after I've got the JRSC). Maybe not, I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, you're looking at around $3,500 for a good SC application (assuming you want the good stuff for it from the get-go, but that's a different matter) or a lot less for smaller gains but something to whet your appetite until you can get the SC.

Good luck!

·
Registered
966 Posts
BTW, for more info on what to get for your JRSC setup, check out this thread:

Basic JRSC Setup

Plus you get to watch me make an ass out of myself on the first page or so.

For the exhaust mentioned in the thread (I'm almost sure it was), check out this:

2.5" Exhaust Thread

I think that does it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts