Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kenwood stereo turns off and then back on when I step on the gas or brake sometimes at slow speeds(sitting in traffic) or under hard acceleration or braking.

Here are the things I've checked so far:

Fuses. Both under the dash and hood. Both are fine.

There was originally a Kenwood tape deck installed when the problem first started (not sure how long ago). I recently installed another Kenwood CD player and the problem is still there, so it's not the stereo.

I ran a new power wire for the stereo from the accessory plug on the fuse panel under the dash and still no luck.

I ran my own ground wire for the stereo and still no luck.

It seems to happen mainly in the afternoons when i get off work and am sitting in traffic. It has yet to happen in the mornings on my way to work, sitting in traffic.

It doesn't affect the rest of the car, but it's getting really annoying. The radio turns off and on and the power antenna keeps going up and down. Sometimes it happens once and is fine. Other times, it'll just keep flickering for 30 sec to 1 min and then start working.

I used the kept the same wiring adapter for the stereo from the original Kenwood when I installed the newer one. Could it be as simple as a bad wiring harness or could it be more serious? Alternator?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
Well.. if the radio comes back on, then you for absolute 100% sure can rule out "fuses".. when they blow, they wont work again......

you mention moving the power wire, that is uneccessary since the above mentioned fuses are good... what you do want to relocate is the ground wire of the radio... theres tons of nice metal bolts screwed into the subframe of the dash all within the radio area

·
Registered
496 Posts
Question. Does your ABS light come on when this happens? Because your problem sounds just like mine and another guy's problem. And we have yet to find a solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I relocated the ground wire to one of the bolts on the e-brake handle already.

I'm afraid that it's a lose connection somewhere and it's gonna take me forever to find it. That is, if I ever do find it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ABS light doesn't come on.

Just to clarify, I didn't want to cut the original wiring for the stereo, so I cut the power and ground wires on the Acura to Kenwood wiring harness and ran my wires from there.

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
kierluorg on Mar/25/04 said:
I relocated the ground wire to one of the bolts on the e-brake handle already.

I'm afraid that it's a lose connection somewhere and it's gonna take me forever to find it. That is, if I ever do find it.
i wouldnt run it so long... there is a bolt right next to the radio (last image) that makes an excellent (and short!) ground spot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i tried running my own power wire to the accessory and constant plugs on the fuse box under the dash and my own ground wire. i just bought a new wiring harness from circuit city and i'm still having the problem.

so now (since i tried the above steps) i think that the problem is somewhere between the battery and fuse box/radio.

could it be something with the alternator? perhaps a lose wire somewhere in the engine bay.

where do the accessory/constant or oem power wire for the radio connect to in the engine bay?

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
do you have a detachable faceplate, with a bezel around the radio?

When I had the bezel installed, I sometimes wasn't able to press the faceplate all the way into the radio; it would sometimes lose the connection and turn off, before turning back on. If you have a bezel, I suggest try taking it off, and see if that could make you have a more solid connection. Along with this, clean the contacts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this problem was there w/ the old kenwood that was in it. the current kenwood was taken out of my old civic when i sold it and installed into my teg. it worked flawlessly in the civic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
out of curiousity, and somewhat related to an earlier post...should the ABS light come on when i turn the key to the on position (when the check engine, oil, maint req'd lights turn on right before i start it)? Mine doesn't.

by the way, as of monday, my rpm needle has begun twitching and isn't reading the right rpms. the engine doesn't feel like it's reving higher or lower. it even happens w/ the cruise control on.

well, its in the shop this weekend getting the timing belt and water pump changed, as well as a new windshield, recharging the A/C, and basic tune-up.

the alternator may get replaced if necessary. hopefully that solves my electrical problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts