Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all.

Well, the salt has truly wreaked havok on my tires now...My cheap-a$$ stem caps have sealed themselves onto the stems!

In case I'm calling these guys by the wrong name, I'm talking about the screw-on cap for the stem that is used to pump air into the tires.

I had some nice ones, they got stolen. So I replaced them with cheap-o, eight dollar ones, and they are now stuck. Any effort results in the twisting of the actual stem which feels as though it might "twist " off before the caps do...

Does anyone have any idea how to go about removing these guys? Should I just WD-40 em? Have I been screwed by these screw-on caps? My tires need replacing soon anyway, but I was hoping to make it through the winter...but to do so, some air pressure would be very nice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot, folks!

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
i ended up tearing the hell out of the stems when mine did that. Dont use pliers and wrenches. You'll end up replacing stems.

Heres a sure fire way to fix it easily, without eating up your stems. Get a small file. File a line down until you can barely start to see the brass threads of the stem. Now stick a flat head screw driver in the slot you made filing and twist. The cheap caps should bend and pop off.

Next time around, put some white lithium grease or nev-r-seeze on the threads to keep them from doing that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the idea of filing through, and ripping them off. Will give me the satisfaction of destroying what has caused me the problem :)

The only file I have is on a LeatherMan tool. Don't know if that guy is small enough...

Will keep you posted.

BTW: What the hell are "Channel Locks"?

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
a leatherman tool should work fine. I actually think thats what I used.

Channel locks are pliers with "channels" that extend the size of the bite from small, to around an inch between the teeth.

Did you use the cheap-o wal-mart aluminum caps by chance? Because thats what seized with the brass on my car. If you didnt, what did you use that seized?

·
Registered
101 Posts
i've had that happen with cheapo walmart caps. mine are actually hex shape so can put a wrench on and hold stem with pliers. never-seize will work best cuz i think i had the problem AFTER i used white lithium grease....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine are actually red, hex shaped ones that I ordered from some parts shop. Don't know the name brand. But I tried the twisting with pliers, and I would def mangle the stems to get these bad boys off of there.

I used to park on the street, so I ordered three sets, having just had my thirty-five dollar set stolen...
I ordered three sets at eight bucks per set, and had the first two stolen, then finally got some off street parking...

So, at first, the cheapo part was good...now the cheapo part is bad.

Any thoughts on suggested name brand, or just stick with the cheapo brand, and get some nev-r-seize?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good luck with that. I had the same problem, and ended up having to have the wheels broken down and the stems replaced. I tried penetrating oil, wrenches, pliers and eventually air tools and nothing worked.

They were also hex shape Walmart caps.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
People in oregon were *****ing that we dont use salt at all during the 2 weeks it actually snowed here (first two weeks of snow in the 10 years I've lived here).

Meanwhile I'm happy as hell that my car isnt covered in a salt crust.

·
Registered
470 Posts
^^^
Jerk.

J/K, but man, what I wouldn't give for less salt. ANY less salt. I lived in Vancouver for 22 years, and it was GREAT. I move out here for 2 yrs, and my car looks like it's 10 years older.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts