Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Integra automatic 1.8 non vtec
Where do I begin,
So recently my car has been misfiring and running rough. With occasionally the temp gauge rising. When I would start the car the rpm would rev up and down till I gave it a little gas then it would stop.
So I changed spark plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor, distributor, fuel filter, pcv. I had codes P0133/P0300/P0302/P0304 before tune up. After tune up I had P0118 now. Car at first would hesitate to start, but eventually would start. Went to start it up and it cranks but won’t start, waited a few hours it started for 3 seconds then cut off again.. I changed main relay as well. Battery is good.
I’m not sure where to go next, oh and my fuel pump was replaced as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you took the old spark plugs out, were they clean looking or dirty? I'm leaning towards a blown head gasket from the info you have supplied or possibly a intermittent bad coil or ignition control module. If you have a multi-meter you can test both or a spark checker for at least the coil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spark plugs were pretty clean for being a 99 with 230k miles on it. I really hope it isn’t the head gasket. I will definitely look into all info you just gave me, I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have any coolant or oil leaks, and there’s been no fluid mixture. would that matter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The b-series engine usually won't have a mixture of fluids because of the design of the block being open deck. Normally if the head gasket goes, its between the water valley(open deck) and the combustion chamber. You can take off your radiator cap, start the car then check for bubbles. You can also check with a coolant pressure checker. I think you may be able to rent from Autozone, Oreillys, or any other autoparts store with rental tools.

A couple more questions. How long has it been since the timing belt was replaced? Also, how long has it been since valves were adjusted? Also, if the answer to both those questions is less then 50k, your probably good. Do you have a friend with same car 1996 and newer? Try swapping their ecu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The b-series engine usually won't have a mixture of fluids because of the design of the block being open deck. Normally if the head gasket goes, its between the water valley(open deck) and the combustion chamber. You can take off your radiator cap, start the car then check for bubbles. You can also check with a coolant pressure checker. I think you may be able to rent from Autozone, Oreillys, or any other autoparts store with rental tools.

A couple more questions. How long has it been since the timing belt was replaced? Also, how long has it been since valves were adjusted? Also, if the answer to both those questions is less then 50k, your probably good. Do you have a friend with same car 1996 and newer? Try swapping their ecu.
99 Integra automatic 1.8 non vtec
Where do I begin,
So recently my car has been misfiring and running rough. With occasionally the temp gauge rising. When I would start the car the rpm would rev up and down till I gave it a little gas then it would stop.
So I changed spark plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor, distributor, fuel filter, pcv. I had codes P0133/P0300/P0302/P0304 before tune up. After tune up I had P0118 now. Car at first would hesitate to start, but eventually would start. Went to start it up and it cranks but won’t start, waited a few hours it started for 3 seconds then cut off again.. I changed main relay as well. Battery is good.
I’m not sure where to go next, oh and my fuel pump was replaced as well.
I’d recommend getting a valve lash adjustment tool. Or renting one I noticed a HUGE different in firing smoothness when I tuned mine. Also timing belt or get a timing light to adjust the timing. Other than that buy a new thermostat and replace that might help with the temp. Check your rad for leaks aswell I suppose. Hope this helps a bit 👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was a clogged PCV.

Timing belt, pulleys, compression tests, valves, head gasket were all in really good shape and done not too long ago.

But damn a clogged PCV cost me all this trouble and money spent lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts