Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i guess i've been asking for it, its been happpening for about months now. today is the day it was worse.
sometimes about once about a week, when i'm about to start the car. i step on the clutch and turn on the ignition to start and it starts up, but it starts up, like it's out of breathe and slowly coming back alive again in about 1.5 sec. this usually happens only on my 1st and only start about once a week.
now today i tried to start it up i do the usual step on the clutch and turn the ignition on to start, i hear one click, try it again and same, and finally the 3rd time it starts.
any clue to what it is?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Little late, but your starter is frozen. Usually, once your starter goes out, expect your battery and alternator to follow. The only part that sucks is that usually you can prevent this. Cost me 250 to replace alternator and now I have to replace the battery and starter becuase my battery went bad(Optima Red Top-shouldv'e stuck with a cheap battery; don't have receipt to exchange it @ Pepboys.)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
flyimages on Mar/30/04 said:
any clue to what it is?
probably the starter or maybe the starter. it could be the starter though.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
also I have started hearing about other honda's that have a bad main relay...its what kicks the other little relays on...long starts (sorta like out of gas) are a good symptom of this...

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
ricreyes on Apr/29/04 said:
Little late, but your starter is frozen. Usually, once your starter goes out, expect your battery and alternator to follow. The only part that sucks is that usually you can prevent this.Cost me 250 to replace alternator and now I have to replace the battery and starter becuase my battery went bad(Optima Red Top-shouldv'e stuck with a cheap battery; don't have receipt to exchange it @ Pepboys.)
If other parts of your system starts to go bad, there may be more than just a problem.

Up until recently, I didn't even think a DVOM was of any use except for testing wires. Low and behold, it can test your alternator as well as your starter and battery to see if there is something wrong with it before you take it off the car.

Problems can arise from a bad ground (ie corosion or bad connection). Or your battery may not be supplying enough amperage to crank that sucker up.

on top of that, take one of the members advice here that it could possibly be the relay or a problem on the inside of the car (ie. ignition to the starter). A bad connection there or lots of corrosion can also not supply enough power to energize your solenoid to activate your starter.

Testing the ignition starts on page 23-66 of the Helms manual and testing the starter starts on page 23-73 of the Helms manual.

The Helms manual will help guide you through every single testing phase to diagnose your starter.

I know this is a lot of stuff I'm asking for you to do, but if you can verify that your starter is still in good working condition and if enough power is supplied it'll start. Therefor you can conclude that the starter is good and there is a problem elsewhere in your starting system.

Same goes for a bad battery. If you replace your battery with a new one and its drained out the next day, something else is wrong, not the battery. See what I'm trying to say here? Pinpoint your problem and solve it instead of having to guess and check.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
so josh, is that y it is kinda hard to start the car when my needle goes almost to E, but i heard from people said that when it reach to E it still have a couple of gallon in the car or 1 gallon or sumthin like that...thx

·
Registered
461 Posts
my starter went out in feb. and i had to replace my battery tonite.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
My starter went on My LS at 160k. I have 190k now and still on my original alternator. The battery has been replaced since then but not due to the starter.

I would definatly check the battery, starter, alternator before you replace parts blindly.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Hummm, Josh, thats helpful, but the person who wrote that doesn't have a starting problem. Rather he has a problem keeping the car on.

Flyimages does seem to have those symptoms, but he's also having some starting issues too. It may be more than just a one component.

·
Registered
617 Posts
yea mines doing exact same thing, except one time i was at school and my tried starting my car but the start kept on running! i mean key wasnt in the ignition nothing, only way i shut it of was by disconnecting the negattive terminal, then i bloody ripped out my alarm b/c i thought it might have been the remote start, disconnected the starter kill relay, but wasnt even that i asked my shop teacher, he gave me a punch and a hammer and told me to hammer my starter and low and behold it stop cranking. so time for a new starter.
but anywho my teacher ended up telling me my starter solenoid was bad the springs didnt return to the proper position b/c the springs stretched over time. so yea...

well beside learning i a something about my starter and replacing it, i also learned how fast it was to steal my car, by ripping out my knee bolster area and steering column..=/

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
quixs1lver on Apr/29/04 said:
yea mines doing exact same thing, except one time i was at school and my tried starting my car but the start kept on running! i mean key wasnt in the ignition nothing, only way i shut it of was by disconnecting the negattive terminal, then i bloody ripped out my alarm b/c i thought it might have been the remote start, disconnected the starter kill relay, but wasnt even that i asked my shop teacher, he gave me a punch and a hammer and told me to hammer my starter and low and behold it stop cranking. so time for a new starter.
but anywho my teacher ended up telling me my starter solenoid was bad the springs didnt return to the proper position b/c the springs stretched over time. so yea...

well beside learning i a something about my starter and replacing it, i also learned how fast it was to steal my car, by ripping out my knee bolster area and steering column..=/
Wait you mean the starter kept running/spinning even after you depress the ignition key? Or do you mean after you take the key out to shut it and the car would not stop running?

There is a difference between the two. Scenario 1 says that the starter is either stuck open or the relay keeps feeding current to the starter to keep it running. once you depress the key to its on position, the currect should be reduced to the point where the starter doesn't have enough energy to keep the spring compressed in the solenoid so there is no longer any contacts for current. If its the relay, replace that. If the starter is stuck open, replace that.

Scenario 2, if I had to guess would be the something on the ignition side. Basically anything from the ignition to the starter "S" terminal. once you take the key out, there should no longer be current flowing. But since it still is, then that means something keeps getting stuck closed once its closed.

Whatever it is, hope you fixed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts