Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
alright, well i went ahead and rewired the ground this morning, but now the car will not start unless the clutch pedal is NOT depressed. This makes no sense to me, as the clutch switch should complete the ground when it is out, rather than in. I also did loose my cruise control, which also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The cruise won't engage with the clutch pushed in, either. Any ideas on that one? i will be looking up the electrical diagrams to see what can be done about that, but if you have any ideas feel free to throw them at me. I am incredibly glad to finally ahve my car put back together and driveable again though, it was so much fun to wind through the gears on the "test drive". Thanks again for all your help,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
when the cruise control is engaged, it is wired up in such a way that pressing the brake OR clutch will disengage the cruise control.

by you providing a ground directly after the relay, this is pretty much making the clutch switch not even in the starting system circuit.

cruise control is not working because according to the cruise control module, you're driving with you foot on the clutch AT ALL TIMES because you provided the ground directly at the relay.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Did you splice into the blue wire after the relay? or did you cut the old blue wire off and simply add a new wire?

i have work for a couple hours right now, i'll explain how to fix it later.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
pothiawala786 on Aug/19/06 said:
Did you splice into the blue wire after the relay? or did you cut the old blue wire off and simply add a new wire?

i have work for a couple hours right now, i'll explain how to fix it later.

I just spliced into that blue wire, i did not want to mess up my wiring harness any more than necessary. This is how my wiring goes, it is spliced into that blue wire, then i cut the connector off to the clutch switch, wired the pink wire to the wire that is spliced into the blue wire, and then took the black wire out of the clutch switch connector to the ground. Somehow i messed up something though, as the clutch switch is working opposite how it should. My cruise also will not engage with the clutch pedal pressed in, either.
thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
i think this "pink" wire might be related to your alarm.

if it was me, i'd just cut off the blue/black wire coming off the relay. cut off the wires going to the clutch switch. wire in a new wire from the relay to one of the clutch switch terminals. and ground the clutch switch terminal that originally had the black wire.

another thing you could do is after starting the car, take that ground away from the clutch switch, and then try engaging the cruise control.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i think this "pink" wire might be related to your alarm.

if it was me, i'd just cut off the blue/black wire coming off the relay. cut off the wires going to the clutch switch. wire in a new wire from the relay to one of the clutch switch terminals. and ground the clutch switch terminal that originally had the black wire.

another thing you could do is after starting the car, take that ground away from the clutch switch, and then try engaging the cruise control.
That is essentially what i did minus the cutting of the blue wire off of the relay, i could definately try just cutting that wire off at the splice point though, i dont' see any harm in doing that. Another weird thing is now when i hit the "arm" button on my alarm, the alarm arms but it does not lock the doors. However, when i press the "disarm button"(same button on the remote), it will unlock the doors. That doesn't make any sense at all to me...... Thanks again for your help,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
you might have to go into a shop or get a friend to get your alarm checked out.

its kinda hard figuring out how someone wired it without looking at it.

now when it comes to the stock wiring, thats easy because i have wiring diagrams as well as my own car to take a look at.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
you might have to go into a shop or get a friend to get your alarm checked out.

its kinda hard figuring out how someone wired it without looking at it.

now when it comes to the stock wiring, thats easy because i have wiring diagrams as well as my own car to take a look at.
Very true, unfortunately none of my friends know anything about cars much less electrical wiring... I'm just going to live with it the way it is until it gets cooler out, its too hot out down here to spend any more time underneat my dashboard. Thank you once again for all your help,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think i have it figured out, in theory anyway. Basically i'm going to cut the original ground from the starter cut out relay and run it directly to ground. I am also going to "close" the clutch cutout switch by connecting the two wires that I cut previously to rewire the clutch switch. This should fix the cruise control, as well as allow my car to start with the clutch in. The only downside i see right now is that the car will have the ability to be started with the clutch engaged, but that is still better then the car oNLY being able to be started with the clutch engaged. Maybe that will give my alarm back the ability to lock the doors too, i'm still unsure how i lost that feature..... I think my original fudgeup was due to me thinking that the clutch cut out switch was wired opposite of what it is.
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I see this thread is old...but let it be known that I used the search feature and this is the relevant thread.

Edit: Some more reading and I figured out my moronic mistakes...instead of erasing the whole post, I'll update with what I learned in case anyone else ever does the same thing.

'93 Teg LS - Bone Stock - Manual

Caught something in the sidewall of a tire yesterday and had a new tire mounted today at a local shop. They call me to the counter and ask me what's the trick to starting the car. My response, put the key in and turn it. They tell me that it won't start and I walk out to the service bay. Well, the first thing I notice is the clutch interlock switch pad (the part which attaches to the pedal) is broken and lying on the floorboard. I tell the guy, "Ah, it's just the clutch switch"....and then I screwed up. Instead of holding or bypassing the switch, I told the service tech..."Just shove me down the hill" and I jump started it. Well, I drove straight to the local Honda place, bought a new pad, inserted it and thought I was home free, but then the car still wasn't starting. So I came home and hit team-integra...

I've tried to do my best troubleshooting, but I still have some issues which aren't covered.

1) My clutch switch has a pink and black wire coming off of it. I've never had an alarm, and I'm positive this is how it came from the factory, but I can't find any wiring diagrams or schematics which refer to a pink wire here.

Edit: This turned out to be the Cruise Control Switch, the Clutch Switch was mounted much higher up, was harder to get to, and was also missing its "pad" Replaced the pad and the car started right up.

2) I don't have 12v at the clutch switch harness, which I believe means that it's either my ignition switch or the starter solenoid. Is that correct, and if so, since the guy was so hard on my clutch that he smashed the pad, could he have been so aggressive when he started the car that he broke the switch?

Edit: While it's nice to think it was all his fault, the pads fail all of the time, and since I was testing my cruise control switch, and not my clutch switch...you can figure out the rest.

3) I can't seem to locate the starter cut out relay. I've tried following the pink wire from the clutch switch, but it leads above the fuse box to an area which I haven't been able to access yet. Any help here?

Edit: Again, pink wire = cruise control switch.

The shop has offered to have their "electrical guy" have a look at it tomorrow, but I'm a little wary. I'd like to finish my own diagnosing before hearing what they have to say. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: There's no better advice than to make sure you've read as much as you can before posting. Lesson learned.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts