Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car just started getting really bouncy. It just happened yesterday, it was smooth and fine until now. It is getting really bouncy, I'm thinking it is the shocks, but how do I know which ones, I think it may be my right rear, but any help will be great.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It would probably be your struts going bad, I don't think that the springs would go out that quickly. What ever the case is, they're not hard to replace, and you can get a set of either for a good price. I'd check them by jacking up your car on one side and see how easily you can push up your tire. The strut recoi should be hard...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
bouncy equal shock, you don't have a damping force to stop the springs from ''bouncing'' upon hittin' anything unparallel to the contact patches

look at my lack of punctuation lol

~P2P

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i ride on bad shocks for a couple days will it damage anything, I don't have time to put new ones in until, later in the week. Also I think it may be one of the rears only, should I just do all four.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put on tokico blues all the way around a couple years ago. It just started happening yesterday, I hear something from the right rear, but I checked the tops of all the shocks and everything seems to be secure.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
you can hold off, but not too long I wouldn't suggest, if the ride degradation increases quickly, then yeah, you'll have to address it with new ones, O.E.M-spec or not

later in the week is fine.. for a couple of days, it won't damage anything. The only real danger you pose is ride degradation (yeah, you're gonna feel that pothole, right there, that one), which is the energy (in this case, becomes kinetic) transferred from the road to wheel through the springs + lack of damping = go umph and sometimes ow.. and also the brake system will be working [a little] harder

~P2P

·
Registered
637 Posts
hodsintegra23 on Feb/06/06 said:
only a couple years old.
According to your profile you have adjustable coilovers, so that is actually outstanding that it did last a couple of years. Its not really odd that one blows out, it just happens. Its the quality of the shock and to have them all last THAT long, is really good. I'm saying this cause most adjustable coilovers I've seen have a much higher spring rate than lowering springs, which in turn create more wear and tear on the shock.

·
Registered
637 Posts
eh, wear and tear. from what you describe to us, its a blown shock. The seal popped, oil oozing from its piston, now you have nothing to stop the spring from rebounding. I would replace just the one. If there was anything loose in your suspension... you'd have bigger problems than replacing a shock.

EDIT* if they're tokico blues and you're on stock springs, they have a warranty on them... I think if you send it in they'll send you one back free... I believe its a life time warranty (on stock springs)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, is this weird? My shocks seemed to get better now, the bouncing stopped and it went back to normal. The shocks I ordered still havn't got here so during the wait time they ended up going back to normal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
have you actually jacked the car up? How about going over bumps or up and down curbed inclinations?

My car stopped a lot of ''bouncing'' but that's because I slapped a metal bar on the rear (called a strut bar by some) my ride is a lot more smooth (= and other things, that I am diagnosing in short of the gludius dyno...

~P2P

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.