Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is kind of scary to think about this but this is what happened. I was going 110( on a track). Slammed on the brakes, by the time I hit 80, the tires all started slidding for about 1 second(seemed like forever). I let off the brakes, of course, and then they gripped and started braking again. Then I went to hit the gas and nothing happened. By the time I got to 60 I downshifted into second and heard/saw the rpms come up because I was engine braking, then to first and stopped the car and everything was completely silent. Then I turned the key and the engine came back to life and everything was fine.

I'm trying to understand why this happened so it doesn't happen again. Here are my thoughts. the auto trans locks the impeller and other part(forgot the name) when the car goes over 50-60 something like that and so when my wheels stopped spinning for a second, they stopped the engine and I had to turn the key to re-start it.

You can't stall your engine in an auto going under 50-60 because they are not locked together, right? Anyone have any info on if something else happened? And to any other auto teg owners, just letting you know. cause it scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
The torque converter lockup most likely wouldnt have been engaged in that situation.

If you accelerate/decelerate at all, the torque lockup unlocks and stays that way until you arent really doing anything on the pedals... What I mean is since you were at the track, you'd probably be trying to accelerate as hard as possible before the braking, so the trans wouldnt have gone into "lockup" mode.

To get the torque lockup to engage, you have to be crusing on the highway and letting the car stay at a certain speed for a couple of seconds.

There has got to be another explanation for your stall... Some of the track guys probably have a better reason for you.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it wasn't really accelerating any more; it was at 109 then like 3 seconds later 110 then like 3 more seconds... and so on, so the trans might have locked up, then rapidly slamming on the brakes. but then wouldn't it have disengaged right when I started braking, before I lost grip?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.