Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I just had my timing belt and water pump replaced, and everything was great. I changed my oil, still everything great. I bought spark plugs, and I had them put in. I didn't have a torque wrench, but my uncle says he'd put them in, no problem. So he puts them in, but after a while of driving, it started sputtering. It felt like my car was about to stall, and I don't know whats up! We took the spark plugs out, and he put them back in, and the problem only got worse, and my check engine light came on. It does it when the car is cold, but after it warms up, it seems to stop. The idle is VERY rough, it is almost stalling, it seems. Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should i try replacing the wires too?

The CEL just kept blinking and blinking and blinking! And never stopped...I quit counting at about 30.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bah! I just went out and filled up my gas tank, and after I turned it on, it just kept sputtering! I was looking up "misfire" and stuff on the search, and it almost sounds like the problem. Any ideas, guys?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
the engine light would come on if a sensor is detecting something wrong...but if the wires are arching,the engine light shouldnt come on ....you'd need to get the code to see which sensor it is so you could locate the source

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
although...it does sound like it could be wires arching...id check the code though,its hard to say w/o that

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, let me check the article...and I will get back to you guys real fast.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday. I ended up taking the brand new wires I just bought back off and replacing them w/my old OEM wires and that fixed it for me. Make sure your uncle didn't switch any of the wires around. Check the distributor cap and rotor article to see a picture of how the wires are supposed to be run.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its throwing a 72

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I try regapping the spark plugs and the problem only gets worse. I don't know what to do guys. Its pissing me off. She sounds like she's hurting.
I don't know what to do anymore!

I'm changing the wires and getting new spark plugs tomorrow afternoon...I guess I will see what happens then. Sigh...

·
Registered
472 Posts
make sure your timing belt didn't jump recheck make sure its aligned correctly and that the timing belt is tightened to spec.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I will do that tomorrow afternoon if all else fails. Thanks guys.

Damn, I am pretty much one with my Integra. When my Teg feels like sh*t, I feel like sh*t...

·
Registered
460 Posts
i hear ya man. mine sputtered too the other day and i didn't like it. i was thinking that it was the plugs, i hope thats all it is.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are having a misfire, and you take it up to high revs, will that hurt the engine? I don't want to drive any more, but I don't know if I'm going to have to--I might just take it to the dealership. I don't know. What should I do guys? I'm scared for the life of my teg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The same thing just happened to me. You've probably got water in the chamber where the plugs go, that's what my problem was. My 1st and 4th cylinder were misfiring and Acura fixed it. They just took out all the plugs, made sure it was dry in there and put them back. It turns out that the last person to remove those plugs didn't push the wires in all the way.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I changed the plugs myself, and the wires were all pushed in and everything...should I just take it to Acura? I'm running out of options, and I don't want to spend any more money than I have to...

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Ok we all need to calm down here.

1) What spark plugs did you use? Are you using the correct replacement for the GSR?

2) Are your STOCK ignition wires in good condition, and are they installed correctly?

3) If your not using OEM plugs like you should for this car then you have to toss them and get OEM ones. They come pre gapped.

4) If you have the random misfire 72 then the problem is most likely in that cylinder. My guess is the plug is improperly gapped. Use a new OEM plug.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts