Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys consider too stiff for street use? I'm considering a coilover setup that uses Eibach 600lb front and 400lb rear springs. This is going be nearly twice as stiff as my current Pro-Kit springs.

Any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wow that's some serious spring rates. I don't know what would be too stiff I guess is depends on what you're doing. I know that I wouldn't want a daily driver to be that stiff. I know my friend has race springs on his car and it's way to stiff for me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does a stiffer spring always handle better ?Pretend were in a world with perfect roads and no bumps at all, is there a such thing as a too stiff spring ?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I liked the stiffness that I use to had in the old eBay coil-overs that I used. I remember doing long turns and my car would barely flew over.

too bad it was too bumpy for me as a daily driver. G, I think its all preference. If I had a daily driver project or loner car, I would do go ahead and do it! But my current car is a family car so I need my duaghter to be comfy back there.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Gvtec are you talking about eibach ground control coilovers, or is there another set up that uses eibach? just wondering for personal knowledge

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i know this guy with a GSR that has Ground controls and swapped his front and rear springs (at least he claims he did) and says it improved his handling... doesn't sound like a good idea to me... my guess is that it would have bad over steer with a squirrley rear end...

is it the ground control coilover setup? if you are talking about the springs that ground control comes with, they are pretty good. that's what i'm running on with my car and it handles great and bumps aren't that big of an issue.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Nacho on Oct/03/02 said:
I just ordered 400F/500R rates for mine. :shrug:
u usually want a harder rate on the fronts because it's heavier. that way it will balance out. unless u are drag racing then harder rears wold be better. just something to consider, but too late u already bought them.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
96dc2 on Oct/03/02 said:
Quote: Nacho on Oct/03/02I just ordered 400F/500R rates for mine. :shrug: u usually want a harder rate on the fronts because it's heavier. that way it will balance out. unless u are drag racing then harder rears wold be better. just something to consider, but too late u already bought them.
400F/500R was the general consensus from the more experienced auto-Xers and track racers at honda-tech that have had experience with them. We stiffen up the rear end w/ swaybars to get the car to rotate, so why not add some stiffer springs as well? All it will do is push the car from its natural bias to understeer to a neutral or slight oversteer bias.

Oh yea, and REALTIME uses 900F/1200R spring rates last i heard.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Nacho on Oct/04/02 said:
We stiffen up the rear end w/ swaybars to get the car to rotate, so why not add some stiffer springs as well? All it will do is push the car from its natural bias to understeer to a neutral or slight oversteer bias.
I agree completely. Stiffer springs in the rear will make the car more prone to oversteer in a corner. Stiffer spring rates will aslo result in the suspension loading (read: compressing) quicker for faster steering response. Both of those qualities seem like desirable for autocrossing the car.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
This is probably a dumb question, but while we're on the subject, why is it that some of the springs in our spring rate chart(rear ones) have two different numbers listed? Thanks
!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are progressive rate springs (read Eibach Pro-Kit).

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
bluteg and nacho, i guess i was wrong then. thanks for that insight. seem like you guys have more experience than i do with auto-xing. i have yet to try that stuff out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i guess the idea of too stiff for street is all in the eye of the beholder.. or i should say the butt of the driver (ok that was dumb)

but seriously it sounds like its really an opinionated thing. I haven't been in many extreamly stiff cars but from reading 600lbs is the highest i've found. So my thinking is the type-r springs are the way to start for a pure steet car that won't be too stiff at all but still better then stock. so i say for a mostly street use car i would keep it between the type-r and 400lbs (400 is the middle between the max 600 and the 250 from the type-r)

thats just how i'm looking at it, but somepeople would argue that you can't ever be too stiff for street.

side note: any idea what the rates are for the eibach raod race springs.. i just saw them available at the nopi site, they must be new.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Gvtec i have 700 front and 800 rear but they are cheezy coilovers so im not sure if it can help your inquiry but i like the way it handles nice and tight but if you hit a bump and i aint talking about no pot hole either i mean like a little crack in the road it gets hairy, you feel every single thing the road has to offer. buy the way im going to a full coilover set up buy next summer tanabe sustec or tein if i can afford tein.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts