Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im about to get a set of Used Eibach Sportline Springs with 20,000 miles on them for $75 bucks shipped is there any sings of wear and tear i should look out for?

also would a novice mechanic with minimial tools be able to install these springs or do i need a shop to do it?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes you can do it, but with only minimal tools if something goes wrong you are screwed. Believe me it sure does suck when you can't even lower the car off the jackstands because the suspension doesn't want to go back together. That was a long night for me

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
and 20,000 miles is nuthin on a set of springs.....

i waaaaas going to get a how-to on spring installs going on this weekend, but my KYB's ain't arrived yet (since when does it take 4+ days to ship from Jacksonville to Ft Lauderdale??)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the minimial tools thing was a little exxagerated, i should have the stuff to do the job propperly

would you care to tell me the process of changing springs and the tools i need?

it would be greatly appreciated

also is there anything i should look for on these springs that have 20,000 miles on them?

would 20,000 miles on a set of springs like these be considered a lot?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
z you must have posted about the same time as me disregaurd the last question on my previous post

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
As stated, there's really nothing that could go wrong with them... the only thing that I would look for is to see if the protective coating has been scraped off at all, they could rust underneath I bet. Not that it would actually matter though...

Also, what would high mileage on springs be... 1,000,000 miles?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Louse76 on Sep/21/02 said:
Also, what would high mileage on springs be... 1,000,000 miles?
amazing how you take almost any opportunity you can to start sh*t....

but regardless, 20,000 miles shouldn't be considered high miles, that's hardly any driving, like 40 trips from here to Orlando and back.. i would think that springs would last longer than that

** edit, ack, i'm too groggy, fixed my math **

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
dude you need to be weary of the bolt on the left rear dont break that f**ker or you pay bucko cash to get it air hammered out like 100 dollars to remove a bolt, its ez as pie to change the springs just dont break any dam bolts. you remove the bolt holding the bottom of shock and then the one holding the control arm in place then the top and it comes rite out , as long as you dont break any bolts. thats it did i metion to be carefull of breaking any bolts.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
199 Posts
Integra15lb on Sep/21/02 said:
dude you need to be weary of the bolt on the left rear dont break that f**ker or you pay bucko cash to get it air hammered out like 100 dollars to remove a bolt, its ez as pie to change the springs just dont break any dam bolts. you remove the bolt holding the bottom of shock and then the one holding the control arm in place then the top and it comes rite out , as long as you dont break any bolts. thats it did i metion to be carefull of breaking any bolts.
Tell me about it. When I did mine (springs, struts, front skunk2 upper cont arms, rear upper adjustable cont. arms, rear lower billet cont. arms, rear toe adjusters) I broke the bolt connecting the rear control arm to the trailing arm (flanged 10mm x 89mm and VERY hard). This was after 2 days of PB Blaster and heat. It took me about 8 hours of laying on my back drilling, cutting and swearing in 95 degree heat to resolve the problem. Then I couldn't find a replacement bolt. (This is my daily driver and my only way to work.) NO dealerships had it. I ended up finding a flanged 10mm metric grade 10 bolt for a GM starter that was too long and of the wrong pitch. I was able to cut the threads off to make it the right length and thread it with the right pitch threads. Talk about a pain in the ass.

So the moral if the story....don't break any bolts!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
we didnt manage to break any bolts putting on my springs, we did somehow pull the axle out of the CV joint. That SUCKED. 2 1/2 hours to get it lined back up and in there. But on the pass side there was no problem.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
MorningZ on Sep/21/02 said:
Quote: Louse76 on Sep/21/02Also, what would high mileage on springs be... 1,000,000 miles?
amazing how you take almost any opportunity you can to start sh*t....

but regardless, 20,000 miles shouldn't be considered high miles, that's hardly any driving, like 40 trips from here to Orlando and back.. i would think that springs would last longer than that

** edit, ack, i'm too groggy, fixed my math **
[/quote]
Hey hey... I didn't mean to start anything or be sarcastic, I just meant to ask if springs ever go bad, or if anyone with a lot of miles (lets say they put springs on the car brand new, and now it has 120k) may need to change them out. I know obviously that struts go bad eventually, but that's a whole different but related component...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts