Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to get the Rota slipstreams but, how can anyone tell if one guy has the Rota Slipstreams(16x7) on there teg, and the other guy has the real Spoon(16x7) rims on theirs? Is there a Spoon logo on the rim or anything that sets the Rota rim apart?
Excluding the weight diffrence of course. I have spent 20 min looking at both the Rota Slipstreams and the real Spoons rims (on the web) at the same time and dont see a real diffrence. Any known advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Links:

Real Spoon rims:
http://www.ipsracing.com/manufacturers/spoon/rims.html

ROTA Slipstreams:
http://www.machiii.net/machiii/html/wheels/Rota_Slipstream.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
people that are rockin real mugens and spoons ask me if mine are real and i say you know it, they are the flat black slipstreams and are the shiat

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
they do totaly look the same to me but im willing to bet that the spon are the lightest or that price they have would be unjustafied, and now thnx to you rota slipstream is on my list of posable wheels along with rota circut8s or tenzo r sinko wich look almost the same,so look for one of those choices to be on my car next summer.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
My understanding is the difference is in the weight, with Rotas weighing more. I've also heard they are made by the same manufacturer. Not sure if that is true however.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
if you look really closely there is a slight difference in the spokes-- the spoon are the same width from the center to the edge--
on the rota wheels each blade gets a bit (just a bit) skinnier as it gets closer to the lip

look at them side by side

·
Registered
317 Posts
i don't know if this is true or not but look closer at the outer rim of the rim. i think the rotas have a extra outer rim and the spoons are FLAT. and obviously, the spoons are lighter by about 5 pounds. i believe the spoon 16's are like just at 10 pounds versus the 15-16 pound rota's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is only true on the 16 inch spoons....
if you look at the wheel stamping on the SW388s and the slips, the rotas have a deeper engravement

·
Registered
675 Posts
From what I have read, the 16x7 Spoon SW388's are 12lbs each. I decided to wait a little longer on wheels and get the real Spoons. The slipstreams are nice too, lightweight, but if I had them, I wouldnt lie and say they were Spoons...Just my opinion...
Cody

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
in the grand scheme of thins does the extra 12 lbs really make a big difference in street driving??
cmon guys my friend here has a turboed civic hatch Daily driven on rotas and he ran an 11.65 this week at the track--- do you honestly think his time and speen would have made that much different if eack wheel was 3-4 lbs lighter-- and if so by what like 11.63 at the most---
lets get real---
if you have the money to spend on spoon fine more power to you but if you dont and you are just going for look anyway whats the big difference??

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
95gsrturbo on Sep/15/02 said:
in the grand scheme of thins does the extra 12 lbs really make a big difference in street driving??
cmon guys my friend here has a turboed civic hatch Daily driven on rotas and he ran an 11.65 this week at the track--- do you honestly think his time and speen would have made that much different if eack wheel was 3-4 lbs lighter-- and if so by what like 11.63 at the most---
lets get real---
if you have the money to spend on spoon fine more power to you but if you dont and you are just going for look anyway whats the big difference??

1 pound at the wheel is equal to like 2 pounds in the car, maybe it wouldnt effect his time much just on wheels aone but the wheels and some wieght loss in other places then yes it would but to run a 11.63 im guessing he already doesnt have any interior in there

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought the 16x7 spoon's were lighter than 12 lbs. The 16x7 Slipstreams are 13.5 lbs. The biggest difference is that the Spoons are forged, so even being lighter, they'll be stronger than the equivalent cast Rota's. Not that I've heard any reports of durability problems with Slipstreams, but . . . .

As far as being able to tell them apart at a glance, there may be differences - but I'd never be able to find them. Unless you happened to be using the Rota center caps. And the Rota's are, of course, available in different (better . . .?) colors than the Spoons.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts