Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just curious what kind of engine this is, does anyone know?... mike... i'm looking at you here.

·
Registered
146 Posts
www.inlinefour.com click on Spoon and check out their products. Very expensive, used often for circuit racing. Anyone else care to elaborate?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
All Motor Record Holder Erick's Racing crate motor

R&D /AEBS crate motors

JUN crate motors

Importbuilders crate motors

if you go to the inline four website, they only sell the 1.8L blueprinted and balanced B18C with a 2 layer head gasket. I don't even know if they put the Spoon camshafts, balanced JDM ITR pistons, and lightened chromoly flywheel in that motor. You can certainly include them as options to be added on for order I'm sure.

Inline four Spoon Engine Assembly

They used to sell the 2L stroker motor as well for around $10K US assembled.

These are NOT (I repeat NOT) drag racing engines. They state that they are for "endurance racing". The 2L option was a STREET engine not meant to be raced. It was basically a stroked JDM ITR B18C to 2L with all the problems associated with a stroker motor.

For the money there are several companies who can build as good a crate motor for less cost and makes more reliable power IMHO.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I'm sorry but IMHO Spoon makes quality products sold at a ridiculous price. The thing is people are sold on the name. Some of their products are just stock parts which have been blueprinted to factory specs or mildly modified. You have to choose and shop for Spoon parts which are not just refurbished factory parts. Their racing cams, brake calipers, flywheel , header/exhaust system and coilovers for example are outstanding. But you can get competitive products with equal quality at a lower price.

What drives up parts prices in the import scene is the fact that people blindly buy things and accept the high cost as a given based on hype or a name. They don't do any homework. Notice the domestic aftermarket prices are LOWER than when they first started. We're the opposite. We just pay the asking price , no matter how ridiculous it is and don't demand better pricing. We have no sense of the scale. This is why you see so many retail import shops pop up everywhere.

Spoon...it's just a name...compare what they offer to others and see if you are getting value for the dollar. If you are, buy it...but don't bite the hook just yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i agree with michael its just the name, whats the diffrence between a nautica shirt and a levis shirt
its all in the name, we should start comparing more prices and stop buying the name

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
$6-10K for a crate motor depending on what you load onto it is pretty common. Considering an engine swap for a stock motor used goes for $4-5K, it's not surprising that this is the cost for a blueprinted, loaded semi-race engine with a lot of go fast parts in the right combination. Some shops will even break-in the motor for you and so when your new toy arrives, it is a pure drop in and go to tune affair.

customer service is what will set apart the good from the ugly. considering that Spoon is across the ocean and you are dealing with the less knowledgeable retailer, you have to be careful about what you get in support afterwards locally.

you are paying for someone else's smarts, experience, and knowledge of parts combinations that work as well as a good assembly job...8k for a semi-race engine considering you put zero effort into the research, expereience, planning & building (ok don't rag on me : I meant you worked hard to get the money to pay for it but had no part in the engine building part) to me sounds fair...but I don't have that kind of money. Plus you as an enthusiast gained little from the experience (yes I know, negative experiences are not fun to learn...I've been there). So no hassle and no learning.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Johnny Tran has a Spoon engine in his S2000, right? it's gotta be good to pay that much for something that was in F&F, right? Naaawwwssss!!! haha, sorry, but i had to say it.

COST/QUALITY=VALUE... do your homework and make the decision based on what else is available.

P.S.- didn't the dish runaway with the Spoon?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Spoon S2000 is another story...very nice car.

here's AJ Racing (Canadian Spoon distributor) Racing cars (another story compared to parts) :

http://www.spoon-sports.com/power.htm

kicking a V8 Mustang's ass at the Vancouver Molson Indy support touring car IPSCC Class P2 race. They won the race BTW.

then there's AJ Racing's DC2 chassis (ITR)

yeah that F&F Johny Tran S2000 was a joke. Most of the serious guys here can give it a good run for it's money...LOL NAWS anyone? HAHAHA

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks I really had no idea what a spoon engine was, now i do. mike D i never know what to say when you post.
again for some dickheads out there i said i was JUST curious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts