Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*DISCLAIMER*
if you dont have valid input to say here dont waste your keystrokes this is an important legit question and i really dont wanna see smart ass answers from people just lookin to put others down

i have always been facinated with ecu chips and i finially found one on ebay for my automatic 94 LS

i have a few questions for some knowlageable person to answer

first: i cant seem to find any information on this chip on the spoon page can someone tell me if spoon even makes a automatic ecu chip for a 94-95 LS

second: from what i read basicially its just advanced timing and a better air fuel ratio do you think this will help a mild modded teg?

third: im not worried about instalation but if i dont like the chip or the performance is this chip easily removable?

i sent this guy a very detailed email asking him very specific questions if he doesnt answer them at all or doesn't answer them correctly then im not gonna buy it but for under 20 bucks im willing to try this out and see how it goes AS LoNG AS ITS SAFE if i dont like it then ohh well it was a 20 dollar experiment and i move on

i would like to really thank anyone in advance who answers any or all of my questions

oh and before i forget here is the link so you can see it for yourself

Spoon Chip 94-95 Acura Integra AUTO p75 ecu

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
If this is anything like the Venom Modulator then all it does is trick your existing ecu into thinking you are pushing the gas pedal farther down than you actually are. So that would kinda be a waste of money.

If it's not like the venom modulator then forget what I said...

Oh and another thing, the basic rule of thumb for ecu chips is they are only really worth the money if you go serious N/A, I'm talking like 4 or 5K N/A, where every single horse counts. I couldn't see a lot of benefits or more horsepower coming out of 20 dollars. It just sounds too easy.

·
Registered
645 Posts
well i have one running my lsvtec auto but what it does it makes vtec open faster at 4500rpm to 10000rpm.

well about yours yes it might be worth it. you'll probably get 10-18 hp depending how modded your engine is.

it up to you but turst me my engine is modded internal and all the bolt on that you could do i have it. plus my ecu it jas an jun p28 jdm program on it so it really does it good for me.

i'll say get it try it if you like it keep it, if not you could sell it for the same price you bought it for.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
QUOTE]Originally posted by br1t1shguy on Aug/12/02
People get the wrong idea about chips, they really do jack as far as increasing performance. I mean they may add between 1-5hp, but you'll never feel the difference. The only real reason for an aftermarket chip is to tune an all motor car, when every hp counts. If you really want to get a chip, wait until after you get the LS/VTEC. Aftermarket chips dont adapt to you're engine like the stock one, so if you got one now, then after you go LS/VTEC it might not work well with that setup and cause stalling, or detonation. The stock ECU can adapt to different conditions, or you can even reset it and it will reprogram itself (see the article on resetting you're ECU). Chips are really only usefull for engine tuners that are looking to extract every last possible horsepower per liter, and even then they program their own chips on a dyno, unlike an aftermarket chip which takes the stock program and modifies it slightly, which may be wrong for youre motor. So I either wouldnt bother with a chip, or wait until after you get the LS/VTEC. And if you do go LS/VTEC and get a chip, at least take it to a good tuner and have them program it for you on a dyno, otherwise you could actually lose power over the stock ecu.
Different question, but similar answer, its probably not worth it, and could have negative effects. 10-15hp!?? Yeah right, you're looking at a max of 4 (thats optimistic for a chip), unless youre motor was somehow seriously detuned by someone at some point in time, which it probably wasnt. And chips rarely do much for an A/F ratio, since it has little to do with power output. Youre stock ECU is choosing the optimum A/F ratio all ready, making it any richer will simply send unburned fuel down you're tailpipe, hurt fuel economy, or bog youre engine, lean it too much and you create high cylinder temperatures and detonation. Ever flown a piston airplane? The mixture control is right there next to the throttle, and for most pilots its usually only ever in two positions, full rich or lean. Why? So they can control power? No, so they can control fuel efficeny, airs thinner higher up, so you lean out since you cant burn that much fuel and are just wasting it. Its the same in youre car, theres little point in mixture except for engine cooling and effieceny. Heres a quick snippet of an article on leaning in planes (i know we have cars, but an engine is an engine), notice it mentions nothing about power output:

Quote: The mixture control compensates for the decreased air density up high, but is also needed at low altitude. That's because the full rich mixture is deliberately set too rich for normal flight. This provides extra engine cooling during full power operations (takeoff and climb), to prevent detonation. For normally aspirated (not turbo or supercharged) direct drive (not geared) piston engines like ours, this extra cooling is needed only when the engine is producing more than 75% of maximum power. Normal cruise is at 75% or less, so the mixture should always be leaned in normal cruise. In a full throttle climb, power decreases with altitude. Above 5000 feet, leaning might be necessary for smooth operation, and the power at full throttle is low enough that the mixture can safely be leaned.[/QUOTE] Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to comply with youre disclaimer before I said it was proabably a waste of 20 bucks :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i appreciate your above feedback but im not concerned with the 20 bucks being a waste even if i got 4 hp that's worth the 20 bucks to me

and it deffenitley wont be lean as far as being to rich i guess the only way for me to tell is see what my mpg is after the install

the question that still remains is does anyone know for sure if spoon makes a chip for my car or is this guy just calling it a spoon chip?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SpoonVtec on Aug/13/02 said:
well i have one running my lsvtec auto but what it does it makes vtec open faster at 4500rpm to 10000rpm.

well about yours yes it might be worth it. you'll probably get 10-18 hp depending how modded your engine is.

it up to you but turst me my engine is modded internal and all the bolt on that you could do i have it. plus my ecu it jas an jun p28 jdm program on it so it really does it good for me.

i'll say get it try it if you like it keep it, if not you could sell it for the same price you bought it for.
where did you buy your ecu and who programmed it for you?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dude this is great i talked to the guy and he programs his chips himself so im gonna get a list of all the options or variables and then i can post them here and get a reccondmondation for which ones will be optimial for my car

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got one of those spoon ecu chips from ebay, its for an automatic 94 integra ls.. the only thing is that I don't know how to install it, is it safe to do yourself and if is it how???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts