Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have not seen a great deal of discussions regarding G3 brakes...

Anyway, ever since my GSR was brand new, my brake pedal has been pretty spongy (typical of most Jap cars, I'd say). Anyway, after owning German cars--cars with brake pedals firm as brick walls--it's hard to find my GSR's brakes acceptable; i've driven minivans with better feeling brakes...
Has anyone done anything to improve brake "feel"? I was thinking of doing stainless lines, but I am not sure if it's going to make much of an improvement.
Anyway, I know the OEM GSR's brakes are pretty dinky and I know there's not a lot I can do to improve stopping power (unless I go Brembo!) so I'm going to attempt to improve feel.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
The stock brakes aren't too bad, but, I agree, that pedel feel could be better. How the pedel feels and and how the vehical operates are two different things.

I found most of my gripes came from using pads with less thatn 60% material and old brake fluid. Try a new set of pads and fluid.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Better braking is also depented on how good your tires are. I wouldn't consider stainless lines to be worth it, unless you are tracking your car. Street usage isn't going to heat the fliud enough to justify.

You could always go for the Spoon 4-pots. I'm sure those suckers will put the stop on.

$1500 is just too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GVTEC, I thought the whole point of stainless lines was to eliminate hose flex, thus eliminating spongy brakes. Is this just a marketing ploy or is it the truth?

Also, the most expensive set I've found are only like $130.00. So, it's not like a huge investement...

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Hose flex is caused when the brake fluid is heated up to the point where the hose will expand.The extra surface area need to perform the same braking has increased, thus causing more pedel input to be needed. This is also known as "brake fade."

Driving style *can* had alot to do with this. Late braking and heavy, high MPH stops can induce this very quickly. This is something you really don't see on street cars.

I had the exact same qualm, when my car was new. I thought there was a possible problem with the mastercylinder, but the dealership checked it to be "normal."

The few cars I've driven with SS lines don't really feel better than before. Could have been poor fluid/pads; I donno.

I have yet to upgrade to SS lines, but I'll get there one day.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Stainless steel lines will put a stop to the lines expanding, which is what makes the brake feel spongy to begin with. Everyone on here should make a note of improving your braking system.Most people don't give brake mods any priority, I feel that's a big mistake, especially when they can't stop their 300hp turbo GSR from blasting in to a tree or something....

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
No one has mentioned the fact that his problem could be significantly reduced by doing a simple brake bleed. It could just be that compared to other cars the brakes are spongy, but removing any air in the system can make a huge difference. Theres an article under projects about how to go about doing this if I remember rightly. I personally do it every couple of oil changes or so if not more often, and always after road racing. If you're fluid is over 30k old it might be worth doing a flush while you're at it.

Trust me, if a minivan had better feeling brakes, do a bleed, and you'll might be amazed at how much air will come out, if not, the lines will improve brake feel as well. There will always be a certain amount of mushyness in any street cars brake system. Things to help eliminate it, all braided lines, fresh fluid, stiffer calipers, and a master cylinder brace can help.

I've found overall our brakes to be about average. Stiffer than alot of cars, but softer than quite a few others. I know that my dads car's (WRX) brakes are quite abit firmer than my car's, and it's nice to have, but i've driven both hard and under hard braking i've found both to be about as easy to modulate.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I don't know about those SS lines.

Take a look at this from an NSX site. It isn't Integra, but SS brake lines are the same no matter what car they are on.

This is the site that convinced me NOT to get SS brake lines and even scares the crud out of me about installing the SS clutch line I bought...

It's a long article, but read through the whole thing. Trust me on that.

Here is a highlight from that article
"[BDV] Well it happened. Someone in a Buick tried to terminate his wife's life and my NSX. I panic braked, downhill, at 35 mph and managed to stop just before my two year old Comptech stainless brake-line ruptured. The pedal went to the floor. The failure was right where the plastic support is near the caliper, which is supposed to stop these kinds of things from happening.

I remember the FAQ discussing this issue, and thinking it would never happen to me. Thank God it wasn't at the end of the back straight at Road Atlanta.

For all you our there with stainless lines. Beware. My braiding actually burst"

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
spongy brakes = air in brake system. bleed it! if it doesnt fix it then hmmm...

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I tried to fit the Goodridge kit on to my 2001 GSR. The kit for a 2001 Acura and a 92-98 civic w/ disc brakes is the same which I wish I saw before ordering. The backs will fit fine but the fronts won't work because the mounting bracket is wrong. I'd stay away from them just on the basis that they might not fit.
As far as I know, most SS lines are fairly equal, at least the DOT approved ones are. Some are teflon sealed others are not. I"m going to try and find out the differences between the DOT and non-DOT approved lines are. I find it odd that SS lines would not be street legal.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
RacerZook on Nov/24/03 said:
I tried to fit the Goodridge kit on to my 2001 GSR. The kit for a 2001 Acura and a 92-98 civic w/ disc brakes is the same which I wish I saw before ordering. The backs will fit fine but the fronts won't work because the mounting bracket is wrong. I'd stay away from them just on the basis that they might not fit.
As far as I know, most SS lines are fairly equal, at least the DOT approved ones are. Some are teflon sealed others are not. I"m going to try and find out the differences between the DOT and non-DOT approved lines are. I find it odd that SS lines would not be street legal.
Yes they are the same. I got mines and they are the same part number as the civics. IMO, its not needed as much as new fluid and pads are. Those are the most benificial things.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Try using a heavier brake fluid. My friend uses DOT 5 (it might be 4, I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it is 5). He also has stainless steel lines.

·
Registered
948 Posts
DOT5 is not appropriate for our braking systems according to our service manuals. I would stick to DOT4.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
DOT5 is fine. YOu have to completely flush out the old fluid with the new. The difference is that DOT5 is a silicon based fluid while the stock is not. And if you think the Acura braking system isn't up to the task, consider this. Harley Davidsons come stock with DOT5 fluid.

Sak-Did you fit your car with the Goodridge kit? It might be that your's is a '95 and mine a '01, but the fronts were different than stock. THe Plastic mounting brackets were switched.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Mine is the Goodridge set. I'm having a problem with my fronts as well. Its the length of the line as well as the design of the SS lines.

Had I known it didn't make that much of a difference, I would not have spent the $100 for them.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
DOT 5 is not compatible with our ABS system. You can use a DOT 5 synthetic, but not the silicon base DOT 5.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts